How crazy will CO Archery OTC be 2021?

FWIW I put in for a leftover unit (that was previously an OTC unit) as my second choice. At least there's a quota of how many tags there can be in said unit.

fmarrs3

FNG
Good year to try out a new leftover tag I think
I also failed to draw NM elk as a resident. Been a resident of both NM and CO, and both have shortcomings. At least CO doesn't give nearly half of its tags to landowners though...

Pigskin

FNG
Road traffic last year was continuous where previous years was rare, I’m a little worried it will be worse for 2021

marktole

WKR
This doom and gloom thread has me really excited to hunt this fall...

Last year in CO, hunting OTC was a zoo in some places I went. With the increased number of applicants this year it makes me wonder how many applied for a point and are going OTC. Could be wild out there. Oh well. I’m still going anyway.

Gerbdog

WKR
Yea i'll still be hunting this year no matter how crazy it is, just gotta decide what OTC ill be in. Did a trip this weekend with the GF and there's still plenty of elk in CO (covered a lot of ground, we were looking at some property), good time to drive around in the evenings, theyre still down low, saw lots and lots. I still get excited when i see elk even when its not hunting season haha

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it will be any worse then the last few years. The key is to set your expectations correctly. If you are OTC archery hunting in Colorado then plan on being with other hunters. Its as simple as that. The vast majority of the bugles you are hearing are other hunters.

dsayer

FNG
First year with otc archery after a few years of muzzleloader in an area that can be had with no points (maybe changing this year...). Hunter and recreator pressure was intense last year and I expect the same for archery this year. We're going the week before muzzleloader.

wildcat33

WKR
Sarcasm: Haven’t you guys heard? Hunter numbers are in decline! We need to be promoting the sport, getting people out there and engaged with our public lands! All those YouTube videos are not about making money but CONSERVATION! (Etc etc etc :rolleyes:)

Seems like a disconnect to me from what’s really happening. Something has to change...

tdhanses

WKR
This thread is cracking me up, CO will be CO as usual, no more busy then it’s been the past 10 years.

CPW does not care about pressure, overcrowding or declining hunt quality, it's leaders are bureaucrats motivated solely by profits.

It's time for caps on NR OTC.
That’s just crazy talk right there. I enjoyed calling in 12 hunters and not seeing any elk last year. I enjoyed seeing trucks, cars, motor homes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, suv’s utv’s, atv’s horse trailers, mule trailers, llama trailers, treehuggers, carpet munchers and more parked at every nook and cranny on every forest road in 80-81 otc last year. Unbelievable pressure!

CoHiCntry

WKR
That’s just crazy talk right there. I enjoyed calling in 12 hunters and not seeing any elk last year. I enjoyed seeing trucks, cars, motor homes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, suv’s utv’s, atv’s horse trailers, mule trailers, llama trailers, treehuggers, carpet munchers and more parked at every nook and cranny on every forest road in 80-81 otc last year. Unbelievable pressure!
All that, and they still come back for more!