How crazy will CO Archery OTC be 2021?

Just a different perspective here. I know in 7 years I have paid the equivalent in license fees to like 95 to 98 local residents, in just license fees. I think that pretty much demonstrates a strong commitment to elk hunting. That does not include travel expenses, food, gas etc., etc. Scheduling "Vacation Time" around he month of September. Locals can walk out the door in the evening or just catch the weekend. I often wonder how many locals would layout that much cash to have the opportunity to elk hunt. I also carry back in to camp a lot more trash after every hunt than I take out. I believe a lot of NR Hunters appreciate the Mountains a lot more than many Resident hunters, who take it all for granted. I agree a lot of NR Hunters are undesirables but not all of us are bad guys. Most the "Draw" systems are actually "Discriminatory" against older hunters. Some of us started hunting elk in Western States late in life and we will never have the time to draw an premium GMU. Due to that, many hunt OTC because they really have no other choice.

Fatcamp

WKR
Name one western state that has increased prices and seen a huge downfall in apps? Colorado needs to go to an 80/20 split across the board and raise the prices accordingly both resident and non.

You miss my point. This fad will end soon enough. It is a wreck and really expensive, just like Nascar and Duck Dynasty, people will move on. Maybe break dancing will come back.

For sure passing regulations that piss people off work. SD nonresident archery deer changes have worked very well.

Last edited:

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Just a different perspective here. I know in 7 years I have paid the equivalent in license fees to like 95 to 98 local residents, in just license fees. I think that pretty much demonstrates a strong commitment to elk hunting. That does not include travel expenses, food, gas etc., etc. Scheduling "Vacation Time" around he month of September. Locals can walk out the door in the evening or just catch the weekend. I often wonder how many locals would layout that much cash to have the opportunity to elk hunt. I also carry back in to camp a lot more trash after every hunt than I take out. I believe a lot of NR Hunters appreciate the Mountains a lot more than many Resident hunters, who take it all for granted. I agree a lot of NR Hunters are undesirables but not all of us are bad guys. Most the "Draw" systems are actually "Discriminatory" against older hunters. Some of us started hunting elk in Western States late in life and we will never have the time to draw an premium GMU. Due to that, many hunt OTC because they really have no other choice.
Well said!!!

You miss my point. This fad will end soon enough. It is a wreck and really expensive, just like Nascar and Duck Dynasty, people will move on. Maybe break dancing will come back.

For sure passing regulations that piss people off work. SD nonresident archery deer changes have worked very well.
Your analogies are terrible you do realize that those duck dynasty guys still sell millions of dollars of duck calls a year don't you? When was the last time pre-covid that a nascar race wasn't sold out? They have been saying western hunting is going to crash for the last twenty years and it hasn't happened. Look at New Mexico and Colorado this year both had record numbers of applications.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly Orion.

Still Hunter...I understand what you are saying, however, I am a Colorado resident living in the mountains, so I understand. Last night I had mule deer in my yard and drove past 30 head of elk (that will be ghost come the season).

My problem is almost 100% related to OTC and Colorado. If Colorado was exactly like Wyoming when it came to protecting its residents, it could have the same quality as New Mexico, but residents could actually hunt most years. I have what used to be good elk hunting right out my back door and do you know what I hope and pray for every year?

You guessed it, a chance to buy a $1,000 (or more if guides required) elk tag in any other state besides CO. In the last 5 years I have hunted (for elk) CO, NM, NM, WY and this year I drew UT (with only a 2.4% chance. I freaking live here and there is better elk hunting in almost every other Western state. CO has the largest herd, the most habitat and there is better hunting everywhere else.

There is obviously something wrong with how CPW is managing things for that to be the case. I am 100% not saying non-residents should take the brunt of all changes. I honestly thing residents should pay $285 for an elk tag. That is not some insane amount that would make elk hunting only for the rich. That is less then two lift tickets to most of the ski resorts (day rates). Get rid of OTC and manage for quality of hunting. There would still be lots of tags that non-residents could draw with zero points. They really really REALLY need to not allow people to accumulate a point AND get a tag.

You put in an application, you should have to buy your "OTC" right then and there and pick a unit or group of units. They need to be able to limit people at all units...general tags are dumb IMHO. Also, 30% forfeit of tag cost if you turn it back in. It is incredibly dumb that you can accumulate points and still get a tag....and it is incredibly dumb to not control how many hunters are in specific units. If they want a compromise...follow Utah pricing. $1000 for an elk tag. Triple resident prices to $155 and get rid of OTC and the accumulation of points while still getting a tag. Let a bunch of units be drawable with zero points...fine. They have leftover tags now...that isn't going to change.

Bearsears

WKR
I agree something needs to be done. OTC has gotten out of control. As a resident Id happily pay a higher price for a more quality hunt.

Fatcamp

WKR
Your analogies are terrible you do realize that those duck dynasty guys still sell millions of dollars of duck calls a year don't you? When was the last time pre-covid that a nascar race wasn't sold out? They have been saying western hunting is going to crash for the last twenty years and it hasn't happened. Look at New Mexico and Colorado this year both had record numbers of applications.

You may be right, but I'm a dreamer.

Dirtbag

WKR
I dont know what the solution is but I dont know that tag price is going to help much. Everyone on this forum thinks about hunting everyday so a couple hundred extra bucks probably isn't going to change much. In order to see any real difference you'd have to increase tags astronomically and hunting is already going down the path of being a rich mans game.

I do think that accumulating points and being able to hunt OTC doesn't help matters.

I kind of like how Montana does it. A large amount of general units with a cap on nonresident general tags.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Fellas dont worry it's not a fad it will be worse in 20 years!!!! Guaranteed!!!

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck to you. I'm hoping to make it to CO this year to otc

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I'd also propose that a person is only eligible to purchase a leftover tag that they have applied for as one of their four choices. That might limit the leftover day fiasco.

I agree with StillHunter, the fad will wear off. Yes, you'll still have a lot of guys from out East coming to hunt elk, and I don't blame them, as more and more land becomes private and it gets harder to hunt whitetails and waterfowl without paying the same, if not more, as an elk tag and associated costs to come out West.

Once the social media shit gets old with narcissists saying they're all about hardcore bowhunting to be badass, cool, etc. whatever to get praise from people they like - they'll realize it's real, hard work and you can't just manipulate your photos to put a bull in your freezer. And then comes the heavily discounted Sitka gear worn one season, too bad they're always XL size, I need Medium 😓

I don’t think any amount of tag price increase will stem the continued growth of OTC elk hunters in Colorado. Everyone just wants to be like their favorite hard core backcountry youtube/Instagram influencer. #conservation

Not sure if all you have noticed, but most ( if not all) the, for lack of a better term " Elk Video /Youtube Video" players, are having a much higher percentage of unsuccessful hunts. Too many "wannabe's" are out running in the Mountains wanting to become "Youtube/Elkhunting Video Stars" and with all the additional hunters and all the additional calling, the elk are sure seeming to be transitioning to private much quicker and the elk are getting more "call wise" every year. Spots where I never saw a boot print now have different size boots prints on top of one another. I hope the new "Fad" wears off soon.

tdhanses

WKR
Why do guys complain about OTC hunting in CO, if you don’t like it there are plenty of easy to draw units that take less then 3 points, sit out and skip the OTC hunting. Taking away OTC will not boost your odds as non trophy units will always be easy to draw, plenty of units you can draw 2nd choice and still build points as well.

Only thing OTC does is allow for changing units if you want, if CO was 100% draw it would still be packed with plenty of easy to draw units.