How crazy will CO Archery OTC be 2021?

CoStick

WKR
I hunted an OTC unit last year in Colorado (my first elk hunt) and I only ran into one other hunter who was camped about .75 miles away. I also back packed in about 6 miles from the parking area and hunted even further away than that too so keep that in mind but I was actually surprised with how many people hunt within a mile of the parking area. When I hiked out after hunting for 5 days I was shocked with the number of vehicles at the parking area. There was probably 10+ trucks and I hadn't bumped into any of them. Just goes to show that you can still get away from people. There are a lot of guys that would rather sleep in a hotel or sleep next to their truck with a nice grill and a cooler full of frozen meats to eat for breakfast and dinner. I know I don't have as much experience as most of you guys but I'd say backpacking in and spike camping it is the easiest way to get away from 85% of people.
Did you get an elk?

Gerbdog

WKR
Nope. Made some great memories though
You can get an elk out from 8 miles back but you better make sure the meats hung up properly and in good shade in a cool spot (like above a creek). May take you a couple days even with a partner. I *doubt* my brother and i could pull an elk from 8 miles back within a day, although ive never tried and cant say. Did a mule deer from 8 miles back and it kicked in our teeth but we got it out in 1 load.

I imagine it to be a sh*t show just like every year!!! Keeps gets worse and worse too! Throw a few fires around the area and it becomes even more congested. I'm giving muzzy season one more shot this year.....

That 100% increase is just a statewide average, many OTC units have seen much larger increases. The units that get name dropped routinely on places like this google-linked forum or easily identified in YouTube videos are simply seeing unsustainable pressure. Insta-bros like Aaron Snyder get followers similarly by documenting every damn place they have success. OTC archery in Colorado is such a money maker and most archery hunters are new enough (read:low harvest) that I dont see CPW changing much for a while. Enjoy the crowds, they arent going anywhere but up. I for one see a silver lining to the wolf coming back, I hope that when they take their cut and elk numbers drop that then perhaps this will force the commission to adopt OTC caps.
Spiteful much?

Ya you're right, on 2nd thought no one hotspots prime elk microhabitats to get social media followers for personal gain, CPW isnt over-issuing tags anywhere and its all rainbows and 380 bulls in CO...
None of us who have archery elk hunted 20+Yrs likes what it’s turned into... I could write pages of rants, but being spiteful isn’t the answer (for anything in life)

I see a lot of people who are pretty bitter about crowds, and I understand it, all of my personal elk hunting has been otc... I have only been on one draw elk tag a friend drew (best tag in our state)

it would be pretty insane if that’s how elk hunting was, but it’s not In real life unless you have a lot of money.

it’s easy to get frustrated at times running into guys in the woods and seeing guys driving all over and parked everywhere.

the truth as I see it, is the only answer is to keep adapting to the pressure, people are still having great elk hunting and filling tags consistently in the middle of the chaos, and it’s not about some honey hole spot, it’s a big picture strategy that always has to evolve.

it has gotten crazy in my state too, but I don’t care, I’m still going to have a good season with a lot of encounters, and I’m still gonna kill a bull... I think it’s a shame that the crowds have taken that feeling away from a lot of people, instead they feel disgust.

there are still plenty of places to get away from people, and stay away from them, and you don’t have to walk 23 miles one way to get away... I find myself not over committing to areas to check them, I would rather walk 3 miles at 5 places one day than 15 miles at one place, it’s more efficient and practical.

the days of hunting a basin year after year are over, honey holes are like the tooth fairy, but there are still ways to have good elk hunting in crowded otc hunts.

it seems about 90% of the people complain about over crowding and 10% keep adapting and having good seasons... the craziest part of that is we get to decide what group to “identify” as, haha.

I do understand for those short on time and live out of state are a little more at the mercy of the situation, but those of us who live close, I don’t feel very sorry for.

if you live in elk country and only know a couple areas, that’s on you... if you are familiar with enough areas, you can stay out of the crowds and among elk... of course we all have dry spells, but when the season is over, there will be a new list of cool close encounters with bulls.

being spiteful will not make your season more enjoyable, but there are ways too, but if you want to be spiteful and bitter, it’s your decision (just like real life 😉)

I know it’s gonna be crazy crowded this year, and it may take me a couple or few days to sort things out, but it won’t change the outcome of my season.

if it’s crazy crowded this year, like way more than normal crazy, it will be an opportunity to get better at avoiding others and learn more country by default.

elk hunting is so much mindset

Last edited:
I’ve been hunting CO OTC for 20 years, hard to say that. My area in the early 2000s was a shit show. Lately it’s been pretty good in my easy area, and more pressure in my hard area. Crazy but true. I drew 61 a couple years back, and feel I can kill a better elk in my OTC area with le as pressure and effort on most years. As always, I’ll arrow a cow early and chase bulls late. My partner drew a mid range unit last year and holy elk and big bulls! Pocketing points to get in there myself.

good luck to all.

Last edited:

FromEm

FNG
These comments are cracking me up! This will be my 10th season from out of state and we are deciding to take an unorthodox approach this year and maybe break free from the crowds. Hopefully!! Not remote and not dark timber, but lots of elk. Well we'll see about the elk vs people ratios...

Seeing that each state is seeing record applicants this year, I’m curious as to how insane Colorado archery otc will be this year, if I don’t draw a tag elsewhere Colorado otc archery will be high on my list of backup options
It’s going to be insane!!

Gonna be crazy. Everyone got their govt checks just in time to buy tags and more/new gear. Should be good if you put in the work and have a little luck on your side.

I will be missing the first 4-5 days, going to kill me not being in my fav ambush spot opening few days.......