How Critical is Bino Weight?

JRMiller

WKR
Weigh doesnt matter much unless you plan to pack a spotter also.
If you bring a spotter too than you may want to get a lighter pair or downsize to a 32 lens bino.
No point in brining big heavy binos if your spotter will be doing the real work.

Antares

WKR
How critical is bino weight?

I have an older pair of Nikon HG 10x42 that weigh 35 oz. Newer 10x42 binos seem to weigh on average 25 oz. I have never taken binos on an elk hunt but wanted to this fall in Montana. Is the 10 oz. a big difference on my chest? Is it worth selling for a lighter model?

Also, is the chest harness worth it or will it just add weight and bulk?

Any advice is appreciated as I am generally new to elk hunting and trying to learn Thanks!
If you’ve never hunted with binos in a chest harness, you’re in for a treat. I don’t care if your binos weigh 5 pounds, you’re going to love it.

TheGDog

WKR
Alpha glass 10x42's are pretty darn light. Their glass is heavier because it's more dense, but they often have the bodies constructed out of lighter tougher stuff like Magnesium, etc.

The used Zeiss Conquest I bought here were noticeably lighter than the DiamondBack's I had to send in for warranty service. And those same Zeiss, to my eye compare better than the Vortex Vultures 15x I have, a mid-tier HD glass, which weigh like a whole pound more! Something like 43oz-45oz thereabouts.

So if your binos to begin with aren't some for-sure quality glass that stings the pocket book a little bit. I have to say... I'd really suggest checking into getting some and using them for a few outings before you decide if your type of hunting style and terrain even requires you to bring a spotter at all. And I'm just saying that because of the wow factor in terms of increased clarity and more importantly how much of a depth of field is in focus on the more top-tier glass. If you get up high with them, I think you'll be impressed how much farther you can still see things with them, versus lesser tier glass. When you get up high and really get a chance to stretch our their legs, like in some OpenCountry hills, it freakin' crazy how far you can still see with really great sharp detail. And I'm an eyeglass wearer too! So if you're not, you'll likely fall even more in love with it!

manitou1

WKR
I carry pretty heavy binos in my AGC harness, along with a lens pen, ink pen, rangefinder, lens cloth, tags, and sometimes my wind meter. Doesn't bother me a bit. I couldn't imagine hunting without my AGC. I have two now.