How critical is sleeping pad quality?

Lowg08

WKR
I went cheaper last year and didn’t get the appropriate size. I didn’t have a problem with cold ground but it’s really hard to sleep when your hanging off the sides. I always use the highest r value I can and widest longest pad I can.

*zap*

WKR
A thermarest ridgerest is fairly inexpensive, adds 2.0 R-value, protects your air mat from the bottom or top depending how you use it and 25" x 77" is 1# 3 oz. It is bulky. They also make a short or you can cut one down for a shorter pad and a sit pad. Using a large and a short you can add R-4 to a system and have a short pad to sit on when not sleeping...it is bulky though.....weight added would be less than 2#. Cost could be around $50 depending on how you shop.

Lowg08

WKR
I have a thermarest short myself. Hadn’t considered it for a sit pad too.

22lr

WKR
Huge fan of the thermarest ridgerest ones myself. You can't pop em, they are waterproof by their nature, awesome for sitting, and they rival the weight of most inflatables. They are not small and compact, but mine lives on the outside of my pack anyways, so bulk isn't a concern. Adding a second short piece would add maybe 5-6 ounces and would add more padding. You could tie it to the first full size pad with a few pieces of 550 cord so they stay together through the night.

The version with foil on one side helps the R-value a bit.

Exped Downmat. Highest R value on the market. 9 seasons on mine and no problems. Probably cheaper per year than what it costs to buy a new cheapie every season.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
@antlerz you put the foam on top of the air mattress? I would have thought foam underneath would work better. Have you tried it both ways? I'll have to give it a shot that way.
Yep, on top. Practice vs theory. Theoretically a small increase in R Value but practically much warmer to sleep on. Always surprised me how much colder air matress sleep systems are compared to a bit of foam.

Not so much when attenuated with feathers like exped down matress (weight penalty)
Reflective R values are also theoretical and rely on the reflective surface staying reflective (Underfloor foil systems are reknowned for not performing once dust and corrosion set in).

OP
K

KRATOCT

FNG
My buddy is on a real tight budget and was going to go without. Giving him the Amazon special. Ordered an xtherm.

WCB

WKR
IMO depends....Early season good weather I can sleep right the ground. More important to me in that situation is me neck and head (pillow). As others mentioned above when the ground is cold it is very important.

When your cheap ass mattress leaves you shivering all night or deflates and you cannot sleep at all...what would a quality pad be worth to you? Spend that. I recommend the 3.5" thick insulated EXPED but then, I need my sleep. BTW...the Big Agnes are known to have leaky valves.

Last edited:

xcutter

WKR
I used a cheap pad the last 2 years (Klymit Static V Luxe Insulated). It worked okay but this year I bought the Big Agnes Q Core Deluxe in long/extra wide. Holy crap is it comfortable. I thought my cheap pad was decently comfortable. Night and day difference. It's a heavy pad though. Worth the extra weight to carry for me.