How crowded is it really?

I'm hunting Colorado 3rd rifle OCT and always read how crowded it always is. We will probably be amongst the crowds so I have a few questions.

1. If you haven't hunted there before, what strategy do you use when there are trucks at most trailheads?
2. When you see hunters walking through your set up, do you consider this area burned and leave?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Depends on where you go. I hunted a high tag allotment unit one year and was blown away. There was an orange dot on EVERY knob as far as the eye could see. I had my own knob and had guy after guy walk up to me. It as insane. The orange army!

It can depend, I hunted an OTC unit with a friend a few years back. I saw a lot of orange and trucks in parking lots at trailheads. Still found elk and only about 1/2 mile from road and an hour after others moved through. By 3rd rifle I’d be hunting thick terrain near private borders. (Make sure you know exactly what the border is and respect it!) Snow and weather before and during can have a big impact that time of year.

“We will probably be amongst the crowds”

Elk hunting is tough enough. Why would you do that to yourself... going to a place like that?

The strategy there is simple and hard. Go in the thick stuff and don’t get busted trying to see elk before they see you.

sounds like 30.30 country with iron sites if you have to hunt the thick stuff trying not to get busted. very similar to hunting bedding areas with a bow it sounds like.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Very crowded and more so every year. You have to get up real early and hike WAY in, and to the ugly steep and thick. It's hard but doable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
1. If you haven't hunted there before, what strategy do you use when there are trucks at most trailheads?
2. When you see hunters walking through your set up, do you consider this area burned and leave?

1. Don't hunt trailheads.
2. I consider an area burned and leave when I see anybody near or within my areas.

I've not hunted CO. Where I hunt in WY the crowds aren't too bad. But my rule of thumb is not to use a trailhead that someone else is already on...which is all of them...all the time. So I find a nice spot to park where I can hike up a steep drainage or something away from a trail head (because so many other people don't want to), and end up on a wide saddle (elk love to move over saddles rather than peaks). During archery saddles are great places to see movement and in rifle the peaks next to the saddles are great glassing spots.

Even in a crowded unit there is some success rate...which is a much higher success rate than on the sofa in the living room.

CO OTC is nuts pure and simple. I dont care how far or thick of country you think youre going to get into, the pumpkin patch will be thicker than the elk. Animals can ping pong between groups of hunters, but more often than not, they B line to private. Success stats do not distinguish between private and public.

Last edited:

OutdoorAg

WKR
CO OTC is nuts pure and simple. I dont care how far or thick of country you think youre going to get into, the pumpkin patch will be thicker than the elk. Animals can ping pong between groups of hunters, but more often than not, they B line to private. Success stats do not distinguish between private and public and folks suggesting avoiding trailheads are on to something...

This is correct.

I promise, if you think you’re in far, and steep, and dark, so is someone else.

The guys that I know that kill year in and year out in OTC country know the teeny tiny pockets that don’t look elky on any e-scouting work. They know they bc they stumbled across them, smartly hunted them, and found they hold elk yearly.

Finding one of these pockets is literally needle in haystack.

And hint...it’s no often very far from the trailheads and trucks. Guys park and get to hiking bc they heard you need to be 3-7 miles in.

Not always...

I guess I'll be the odd guy. Have hunted CO OTC 5 different times in past 8 years and only saw one other hunter - and he was at a distance that did not interfere with me. Have the mentality of going where you know others wont and know beforehand that to get there it will suck. My hunting is usually 5-7 miles from the truck in areas that prohibit motorized travel. The trek there is not nearly as romantic as magazines, podcasts, and IG make it seem but the rewards are high. Worst case it is largely undisturbed country and best case we have a couple elk to chase throughout the week.

Bearsears

WKR
Wait until Wednesday and 75% of hunters are gone or so gassed they cant hunt anymore. Anticipate where the pressure is going to come from and be in a position to cut off the elk fleeing the area. Yes its that bad. People everywhere.

njdoxie

WKR
It can be, I’ve seen crowded spots and not so crowded spots. If you have no intel and you’re hunting a spot for the 1st time, there’s no telling whether it’ll be crowded or not, although if there’s good access, you’ll have company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be cheesy but hunting is more about just the success, yea that’s the goal but I would rather hunt public land anyway shape or form than pay thousands for a guided hunt. Learn and experience and get out there regardless of how crowded it is and I bet you can become successful. My buddy owns a 15k acre ranch in Wyoming and he’s just spoiled which is awesome but the experiences is what will make you keep going.

Not to be cheesy but hunting is more about just the success, yea that’s the goal but I would rather hunt public land anyway shape or form than pay thousands for a guided hunt. Learn and experience and get out there regardless of how crowded it is and I bet you can become successful. My buddy owns a 15k acre ranch in Wyoming and he’s just spoiled which is awesome but the experiences is what will make you keep going.

Agree 100%. I’ve hunted private for deer and it was not fun at all. Found the deer we wanted, shot them, gutted. Could have done that all day long every day. It was not hunting. I’m fine with harvesting meat that way, the ethics of it aren’t the issue. But it was not hunting. Maybe when I’m too old to hump around in the mountains a I’ll enjoy a relaxing meat harvest.

I’d rather strikeout on public land than get something that was zero work on private. Something magical to me about hunting public land. It’s MY land and I’m taking MY animal off of MY land. And it’s YOUR land and YOUR animal too! (maybe a song in there somewhere).

And, again, not to be cheesy or too deep, but there is a spiritual connection to hunting and nature for me. I would hunt every year I could with zero success if it meant I could have this spiritually cleansing experience. Sorry to get all hippie, but I think most hunters understand this to some extent.

tdhanses

WKR
Wait until Wednesday and 75% of hunters are gone or so gassed they cant hunt anymore. Anticipate where the pressure is going to come from and be in a position to cut off the elk fleeing the area. Yes its that bad. People everywhere.
It’s only a 7 day season. Personally I bet many that hunted 3rd rifle in the past moved to 2nd season being its 9 days and 2 weekends vs 7 days and one weekend, 3rd may become a little less crowded.