How did you find it?

Phaseolus

WKR
Out archery hunting and I kept hearing a bugle far away and uphill. I found the wallow and have killed a few bulls there.

Last edited:
very interesting, congrats!

Thanks! I found out on the hike out through some locals that I had found a frequented wallow that gets overlooked by drop camps and horse folks. 2 miles from trailhead. Of course, you couldn’t really tell that with all the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overland

FNG
What do you all look for when scouting in the summer for your late Fall spot? I'm very new at hunting and am not sure what would be a prime spot for when I'm out scouting this summer.

Thanks.

Best way. . . Buy two horses and a mule, take the month of September off and advertise your preferred state and area as a meat packer. GPS mark every spot you pick an elk up out of the woods. After 3 years or so you should have a pretty good map of areas where elk are consistently killed.

Deep 6 the packing business by offending everyone you ever packed for but hey you should have 5-6 good areas nailed down to hunt for the foreseeable future!

Short of being a complete jerk and doing the above google earth, boot leather, and time.

In my mind nothing pays dividends like going back to the same area a few years in a row and learning how animals move and where they spend time! Good luck!

overland

FNG
if you see them in one spot in the summer, is it a good chance they will be there come fall?

otcWill

FNG
A combination of what others have said. I’ve actually found a few from guys straight up telling me,”There’s elk up there but no way in hell im going up there to kill one.”

Mostly GE and boot leather though. I look for places with specific similarities to other honey holes and check them out. Some are junk and some are gems. Time and access are key. Scouting may be the most overlooked/underestimated part of diy elk hunting these days. Make time for scouting and you’ll reap the benefits.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's a process. You have to start the narrowing somewhere.........from a particular state, then to a particular unit perhaps, and then down to particular areas within that unit, and then maybe down to specific drainages.

It starts with research, then studying maps, and then boots on the ground. For real data you'll need multiple years in the same spots to be able to see the dynamics of an area.

I can always find elk, but they might not always be in the same spots as previous years. The real fun is finding a particular bull, and then playing a chess match with him over a few seasons. That's where the real elk hunting education comes from. You learn a LOT.

Gunnar19

FNG
Starts with google earth, but boot leather is the key. Being there at the correct time is just as important though.

Still looking for it! Depends on the day. Big animals with legs, they are where they are sometimes.