How did you train your bird dog not to chase deer?

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I broke my healer/collie mix from chasing cattle, deer, and everything else. I always make him walk behind me. Probably not a good idea for a bird dog though. If I let him walk in front, scouting or looking for sheds, he chases more often. If I'm deer/elk hunting he never chases because he's only allowed to walk behind me.

npm352

WKR
Kudos on wanting to fix the issue.

Condition the dog to an e-collar and let him wear it whenever you are doing things out of your yard....hikes, training, hunting, etc...so he gets used to it and the prongs on his neck. Don't stick it on out of nowhere and then do this or he will get collar-wise.

When he chases deer say nothing, turn the e-collar on a high setting and hit him hard on a continuous setting until he stops. Biggest part: SAY NOTHING. You want the dog to think the deer did it.

I use an e-collar training pointing dogs to respect birds. If they creep, I launch a bird while behind the dog and nick the dog on a low setting (after weeks of work leading up to this)...saying nothing while out of line of sight of dog. Over time the dog respects the birds meaning he knows they can hurt him if he causes the flush, and not the master.

Same idea on deer, except you do not need to ease into it and you do not use a low setting. Chasing deer, just like chasing a porcupine or skunk, or a rattlesnake, is a safety issue. Turn the dog inside out with the e-collar. They often only need one indelible lesson. A dog chasing a deer can get lost, hit by a car, or even in some states, legally shot by a game warden.

It is no different than when I do snake break. It sucks watching your dog yelp and in pain, but it could save his life at some point. Again, key is saying nothing. Don't yell "no," or "stop" or anything. The dog will think the deer hurt him if you do it right. Then he will be afraid of chasing deer rather than afraid of you...meaning if he is on his own, out of sight, he won't be tempted to chase.

www.covemountainkennels.com

e collar works best by far. If you wont go that way, consider walking your dog past deer trails, feeders, decoys, etc on a leash with whatever correction is enough for that dog.

We've had to break all our Vizslas with shock collar training around deer. Also note, you'll need to do it with mountain goats, antelope, etc after they are deer broke in our experience as they smell different. One of our Vizslas tried each of them to prove to us she was a "versatile dog" although she never ran elk or javelina, just pointed them.

JMDavies

WKR

Condition the dog to an e-collar and let him wear it whenever you are doing things out of your yard....hikes, training, hunting, etc...so he gets used to it and the prongs on his neck. Don't stick it on out of nowhere and then do this or he will get collar-wise.

When he chases deer say nothing, turn the e-collar on a high setting and hit him hard on a continuous setting until he stops. Biggest part: SAY NOTHING. You want the dog to think the deer did it.

I use an e-collar training pointing dogs to respect birds. If they creep, I launch a bird while behind the dog and nick the dog on a low setting (after weeks of work leading up to this)...saying nothing while out of line of sight of dog. Over time the dog respects the birds meaning he knows they can hurt him if he causes the flush, and not the master.

Same idea on deer, except you do not need to ease into it and you do not use a low setting. Chasing deer, just like chasing a porcupine or skunk, or a rattlesnake, is a safety issue. Turn the dog inside out with the e-collar. They often only need one indelible lesson. A dog chasing a deer can get lost, hit by a car, or even in some states, legally shot by a game warden.

It is no different than when I do snake break. It sucks watching your dog yelp and in pain, but it could save his life at some point. Again, key is saying nothing. Don't yell "no," or "stop" or anything. The dog will think the deer hurt him if you do it right. Then he will be afraid of chasing deer rather than afraid of you...meaning if he is on his own, out of sight, he won't be tempted to chase.

Completely agree.

Sound advice, I had never connected the dots on not yelling at them though.
But an e collar on hounds is a must, and can be very successful.
We have always done a beep then shock on basic disobedience, and now the beep is like a pager, I hate yelling for my dog so I beep her and she comes back.

nidaho

FNG
I use collar to trash break my hounds. I get a deer hide and put it where the dog will find it and when they put there nose on it I fry them on high. I want them to think that deer shocked them.

nidaho

FNG
I use e collar to trash break my hounds. I get a deer hide and put it where the dog will find it and when they put there nose on it I fry them on high. I want them to think that deer shocked