How do Caribou react when shot?

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
How do Caribou react when shot? Elk typically run off to the next zip code. Moose stand there waiting to be shot again. White tail Deer run without looking back. Mulies run and stop 100 yards away, then look back.

How do Caribou react with a bullet hole ?
They die :)

mooster

WKR
400 yds 7mm RMag dropped on spot. Buddy next to me same thing with 300 Win Mag. Sorry N=2. Moose n=2 both stood and soaked up multiple shots.

crich

WKR
They're definitely nothing like an elk. They heard up and stand there for your buddy to shoot another one.

OP
Short Track
From looking at their body structure, they seem to be built like Elk, but with totally different personalities.

How do Caribou react when shot? Elk typically run off to the next zip code. Moose stand there waiting to be shot again. White tail Deer run without looking back. Mulies run and stop 100 yards away, then look back.

How do Caribou react with a bullet hole ?
Much like large deer IMO.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
If you're seeing elk run more than about 40 yards.....you might want to reevaluate your bullet/placement.
I try to tuck the bullet behind the shoulders for two lungs when am fortunate to be fully broadside as shoot. I realize taking out the front shoulders anchors better but other than when the bull elk is on the ledge of a canyon, I am fine with some post-impact movement to have more shoulder meat to pack out. I have shot 5 bull elk in the lungs and needed a follow-up shot on just one bull which I touched off about 3 seconds after the first shot as wanted that bull anchored. The double-shot was full of adrenaline and picking up speed after Shot #1 as headed for a river crossing. I did have to track a mountain goat over the Continental Divide following a high, one-lung shot involving a steep angle so my technique is not flawless nor is my judgement on various matters.

Pretty much. I swear you could shoot one in the hoof and they'd roll over and die.
Haven’t done that but I did shoot one in the front knee and it gave up- fell over and wouldn’t get up.🤷🏽‍♂️ (Found out my scope was off after the bush flight) Finished it off easy when I walked up to it 😀

Blasey

FNG
I have shot several on the North slope. All archery lung shots. If they are not scared or pushed they trot less than 50 yards, then get wobbly legged and fall. The trick is to just take your shot then don't move. Most of those Bou have never seen a person before.

mcseal2

WKR
The few I saw shot didn’t go far if anywhere. One hit with a 160 Accubond from a 7 mag at 500 stood there after the first shot and absorbed a quick second before falling. Other two hit with 180gr E tips from a 300 win mag at around 300 yards just dropped. Deer hit with those rifles usually run 50-80 yards.

VernAK

WKR
Of the North American animals that I've hunted, I consider the caribou to be the least tenacious of life and I would consider the grizzly as the most tenacious of life followed closely by the mountain goat.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Of the North American animals that I've hunted, I consider the caribou to be the least tenacious of life and I would consider the grizzly as the most tenacious of life followed closely by the mountain goat.
Well said Vern...exactly my experience as well with caribou.

I might even put the mountain goat and grizzly pretty much neck and neck (at least out of those I have shot and seen shot)...second thought...no, I'll keep grizzly at the top (they could kill me before dropping dead!).

I'll add the wolf into your line-up somewhere toward the top, but not quite sure where to place them...the two that I have shot in different years jumped straight-up in the air (high) when hit, and then immediately bolted into adjacent cover like a rocket when they came down...pretty challenging , zig-zagged tracking each time through the brush for a respectable distance before finding it piled-up dead from the one-shot. Also was with a friend that shot one, and I witnessed the exact same behavior. Took us the better part of all morning to find him in cover...they were always just running so fast and long until dropping that the blood sign was very spread out between signs. Of course, my only wolf kill experiences are in terrain with nearby cover...perhaps in open country it's a totally different scenario.

Last edited:

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I've only seen 5 shot and they were all the same day.
Mine: 270 at 150 yards high shoulder, dropped
Buddy: 300Win right in front of mine dropped
Wife: 7-08 at 80 yards dropped, got back up, shot again, dropped. Upon approaching it, it got up and a third shot dropped it for good. The first two were in the lungs, last one in the heart and broke the off shoulder. I imagine it would have fallen over from the first shot but there was about 750' of vertical in the quarter mile it was facing we'd have to pack it up.
Buddy's Wife #1: 270 at 125 yards. Lungs DRT
Buddy's Wife #2: about 80 yards in the guts and it ran about 50 yards and fell over.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk