How do Caribou react when shot?

How do Caribou react when shot? Elk typically run off to the next zip code. Moose stand there waiting to be shot again. White tail Deer run without looking back. Mulies run and stop 100 yards away, then look back.

How do Caribou react with a bullet hole ?

LightFoot

WKR
How do Caribou react when shot? Elk typically run off to the next zip code. Moose stand there waiting to be shot again. White tail Deer run without looking back. Mulies run and stop 100 yards away, then look back.

How do Caribou react with a bullet hole ?
Depends on where you hit them... and with what...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The dozen or so ice shot over the years just went down and died pretty quickly. 308, 30-06, 6.5 creedmoore, all had the same results for me. One of them sprayed blood all over the place, it was like a cloud of blood in the air. That’s about the most dramatic thing I’ve seen with caribou.

hodgeman

WKR
I've taken a bunch of caribou. They typically go down fast with good shot placement. They also live in open country so it's unlikely one will get away with anything approaching a good shot. I've never lost one and I've never had one go more that 40-50 yards. Most of the them just hunch up and tip over.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Mine taken with a 308 have typically run a few steps. Not a big deal on the tundra. Interestingly a young friend shot one with a 7mm-08 and it seemed to die faster with the same shot placement. Maybe just a fluke.

WCB

WKR
All animals react how they react....have had elk stand and take 3 shots while the next one bulldozers every tree on its way out of there. Same with whitetails and mule deer. In my experience more times than not animals that are shot go a little ways and fall down whether it is really fast or just stumbling.

Laramie

WKR
Mule deer running 100 yards and then turning around to look at you? Elk running to the next zip code? If these are from personal experiences I agree with the post above- you should evaluate caliber, bullet, accuracy, etc. I have never had a mule deer go 100 yards, even with a bow. I have taken 40+ through the years. As mentioned above, most elk will go down well inside 100 yards as well.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I have only been present for three caribou being shot, so my sample size is small.

The first one, shot at 350 yards, took the first round through the chest, and stood there looking drunk and wobbly. Second shot tipped it over legs up in the air. Never took a step.

The other two tipped right over and never took a step. Both shot at 50-60 yards. Calibers were a .270 WSM with 150 grain Norma Oryx bullets; and the other two .300 Win Mags with 180 grain Nosler partitions.

1st one I shot at 200 yards ran a few tight circles spraying blood like a hose then fell. 2nd 250 yards stood their for 20 seconds wobbled a bit then fell over. 300 win mag 180 grain bullets boiler room hits.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Be careful when approaching one you shot. Sometimes they are wearing Kevlar and lie motionless until you put hands on their rack then they shoot you. Not everyone reacts to being shot the way you might expect.