How do floorless guys stay dry???

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
So I am toying with the idea of a double base SO Little Bug Out and a stove for me and a buddy during rifle season elk hunts. And im trying to figure out what I need to keep my sleep system dry in a downpour. So what does everyone do? Im leaning toward an ultralight bivy from MLD, but id like to hear some other ideas. I thought about going the one man nest route, but that doesnt help my buddy. What do you guys do?

Trial153

WKR
Pitch it on a flat spot or slightly higher your Surrounding ground ...no problem staying dry.
Stay out of depressions and you will be fine

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Pitch it on a flat spot or slightly higher your Surrounding ground ...no problem staying dry.
Stay out of depressions and you will be fine

So you just run your bag and pad on the ground, even if you anticipate rain?

Site location is key as well as good ventilation, and the UL bivy you’re considering is also a good choice. You’ll have no problem staying dry, especially if you’re running a dry heat (wood), stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the borah gear bivy or a sheet of tyvek. I've also used one of the SOL emergency blankets in the past.
But even in the event of a lot of rain there will be minimal seepage into the shelter if it is pitched in a good location.

Mudd Foot

WKR
I use the borah gear bivy or a sheet of tyvek. I've also used one of the SOL emergency blankets in the past.
But even in the event of a lot of rain there will be minimal seepage into the shelter if it is pitched in a good location.

Ditto on the Borah gear bivy and tyvek under a SO Redcliff. While there is definite dryness factor, the Side zip bivy Is primarily to keep pad, bag, and pillows together. Otherwise it’s like an ice rink.

I run a megatarp with or without a stove and have no problems staying dray with my pad directly on the ground. A couple inches from the edge will be wet in a real storm, but no problems as long as you don't pitch it in a hole.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Do any of you guys run a nest in the warmer months? If so, which? I like the look of the MLD ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Great responses by the way. I do wonder about finding a pitching spot in CO for a BaseTarpBse LBO though. That thing is huge.

- - - Updated - - -

On the Borah Gear bivy, do you think I need a long wide? Im 6'2" 205 and want to fit a 78"x20"x 3" air pad, 10º bag, and some clothes if need be. I might eventually upgrade to a wider 25" pad also.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Am similar dimensions; definitely go long and wide. Additionally I would strongly suggest customizing the side zipper option and ask if you can get an extra foot or 18 inch zipper built in on the length. Can be a bit of a contortionist act to get in and out especially after a long day of walking.

On the Borah Gear bivy, do you think I need a long wide? Im 6'2" 205 and want to fit a 78"x20"x 3" air pad, 10º bag, and some clothes if need be. I might eventually upgrade to a wider 25" pad also.

I’d contact John at BG, he’d be the best one to answer this question. You could also discuss options with him regarding a custom bivy, if your requirements warrant that.

Ditto on the Borah gear bivy and tyvek under a SO Redcliff. While there is definite dryness factor, the Side zip bivy Is primarily to keep pad, bag, and pillows together. Otherwise it’s like an ice rink.

Why use the bivy and Tyvek?

Mudd Foot

WKR
Can step/crawl out of bivy onto dry surface. Put pack on end on tyvek as well.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Should mention we hunt Colorado archery ... Colorado is Spanish for rain...

Tyvek sheet on the ground or small piece of tarp. Tyvek has some insulation properties, so will hold body heat and keep moisture from penetrating. A cut piece of nylon tarp will work too and is super light, packable. I bought a 5’x7’ cheap Walmart tarp this year and cut out a 6’x3’ section - basically cut the middle out and ditched the eyelet border. I think the tarp was $4.95.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Great tips. How about nests? Ever run them in the warmer months? The mld Solomid XL is only 10.5oz. Not much more than a bivy

FlyGuy

WKR
I only use the tyvek if the ground is already wet before I pitch, or if the ground is really dusty. Otherwise you don’t need tyvek floor. The rain stays out from underneath the tarp.

You can’t cheat the mountain

I used to use a piece of Tyvek but it was quite slick, even using silicone to try and help. This past year I tried an SO mountain mat and really liked it. Not slick but very waterproof.

tttoadman

WKR
A nest with corner struts can be used as just a bathtub floor when there are no bugs and just sleep on top of the mesh. Nice to keep my bag and clothes clean. if the bugs appear, hook up the nest. The MLD nests have the corner struts.