How do I choose a flight service?

Guys:

This thread could fit into a few other existing threads but after replying to a question (PM) I decided to start anew. Every region in Alaska is unique and each us have a level of expertise for certain areas and limited knowledge of most of the rest of the state. I operate in Unit(s) 23, 26 and 25 and truth be told unit 23 is my backyard and what I know the most about. So that said if you have questions for other units I will be up front and refer you so some else who is an expert area for that unit.

I hope you get some value out of these words of wisdom and the take away is do your home work and start early, at least 16-18 months out.

When a transporter drops you off on a lake with another group the chances are you have just be part of what we call a Yo-Yo. That is when a transporter drops you almost always close to town (quick in and out) and then grabs another client who is close to and Yo-Yo back to town quickly. This is a cost effective way to quickly get more clients in and out so at the end of the day you have moved more clients and improved the bottom line. Rarely does this have anything to do with putting the client in a good area. Poor practice.

If it were me I would ask the pilot to show me on a map where you're getting dropped off and is t is close to town less that 30 mins out ask why and are there are other groups currently in that immediate area.

I have worked with most of the flight services in Kotz over the past 18 years, and there are 3 I will not put my clients with because of the Yo-Yo effect. One flight service (now operating under another name) dumped one of my groups in the Squirrel drainage which was a great place 15 years a go but is way too far to the West of the migration anymore. These guys were dumped on top of 2 other groups and the spot was littered with "Tundra Flowers" ( Most of you will get that term) from many previous groups. These poor guys saw almost no animals and saw lots of other hunters....This should not happen and it was the last group that I allowed to fly with this service.

Rule of thumb:
* If the transporter is offering prices much lower than the others there is a reason...
*If the transporter has lots openings in Jan/Feb there is a reason.....
*If the transporter has a new name well........

There are lots of really good flight services and there are a few of not so good transporters. Do your homework and do it early. Ask questions and if they aren't giving you the answers you thing you should be hearing or they aren't taking the time to work with you keep looking. The internet is a wonderful thing. It is not that hard to do research on an outfitter, a guide or a flight service. Keep in mind all of us have a few bad reviews out there because some guys are hard to make happy but if there more than a few and they sound the same...Look elsewhere.

Testimonials:

All most all of my clients ask for testimonials from prior clients and they always ask for success rates. Success rates are a real mixed bag. Lots of my clients are return clients who are looking only for wall hangers and are willing to pass on "Dinkers". Many of my clients are Bow hunters who have to close the gap to 45 yards, real tough to do with Bou. Success rates are not a good snap shot and easy to throw out bogus numbers..When it comes to testimonial you have to understand that there is no way any of us are going to send you to the group who came out empty handed. We are going to send you to someone who has a great trip and that will not reflect the entire season for sure..Another thing is many of the testimonials and "contact this guy" are folks who are paid to give positive reviews.. I have a "Friend" who is a "Pro-Staffer" at one of the Big Box store we all like to shop at and he has been a paid reviewer for one of the higher volume flight services up here. That dosent mean that his review/testimonial is not legit but keep in mind he gets paid by that flight service..I always tell my clients not to rely on testimonials given by a service because they will always be "Cherry Picked". Google me, us, them and you will get a better picture that is less fuzzy.

Walt

Attachments

• 105_0507.JPG
    105_0507.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 105_0508.JPG
    105_0508.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190912_195455.jpg
    20190912_195455.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 37
  • 520652_orig.jpg
    520652_orig.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 34
I can say that I’ve known you for quite a few years now starting with the Alaska Outdoors Directory. You’ve always been a straight shooter... knowledgeable and willing to help at no charge with anything you can. If I ever decided to hunt in your neck of the woods I wouldn’t bother doing research. I’d just call and tell you EXACTLY what my goals and abilities were and together I am sure we could plan the hunt I wanted.

• Banned
OP
Northwestalaska
Thanks for the confidence. I outfit hunting and fishing trips in the Arctic but what is the most important service if the local knowledge...Paid the dues.

Walt

Thanks for the write up, Walt. It is overwhelming how many "flight services" exist now and then to keep track of restrictions, hunt areas, load weights, and most of all availability on top of everything. I appreciate your willingness to provide some insight.