How do I get started with MORE hunting?

How do I go about harvesting all year??? I have a two 7 mm Mag Rifles, 1 tight choke 12 gauge shot gun, and one single shot .22 Long rifle. I am an avid rock climber and mountaineer and there is not much in the mountains I cannot do or have not done. I find God and Jesus in the high country and my soul is truly free up high.

I hunt Elk once a year...but I want more.

I don’t have any fishing experience or gear. I don’t have any archery experience or gear. I have limited experience on water fowl and upland bird (though I have not personally shot one). I am a natural shooter with Military training. I am comfortable with just about any weapon system and I am a quick learner. But I am lacking buddies and mentors.

I want more – but don’t know where to start or who to start with. I have read just about everything on this site over the last week and I am “Loving it” to quote McDonalds. Who can offer some wisdom or friendship?

littlebuf

Banned
dont know about bear season down there but up here it goes from august to November,two bears. deer and elk obviously and i think the seasons are longer where your at then up here.get into predator hunting,i call all winter and its an addiction all its own.shed hunt in the spring and backpack/scout in the summer.there ,that takes me all year.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The easiest way for me to stretch my season is to designate certain portions of the year for necessary aspects of the hunt.

January-March is spent mapscouting for new areas(as well as ice fishing and working out).
April-May is spent checking on the gear and working on what will be my set up for the coming fall. End of May is also my tag deadline for Wyo.
June-August is dedicated to backcountry fishing with any extra time. By August I have transitioned from fishing trips to scouting trips into the new areas that I mapscouted.
September 1-15th is dedicated to chasing elk with the bow.
September 15th-October 7th- is dedicated to packing in looking for mule deer.
October 7th-sometime in November is dedicated to filling my Bull and cow tags.
November-January will be dedicated to working on my diet and workout as well as prep for ice fishing season.

You are also on the right track looking for people who have the same, if not very similar interests.

Gman

WKR
Who doesn't want MORE? :) I hear what you're saying and sreekers gave some very good advice. As far as looking for hunting buddies, you're on the right track but understand it may take some time. When there are Rokslide gatherings (trips, challenges, events, etc.) make sure you attend. Make friends, but don't force the issue. Just like all relationships it may take some time. No one wants to feel like they're being pumped for info. In my experience people in this obsession are very open with most info (like you've seen on the site) but when you get into true mentorship, people become naturally guarded at first - BUT once they warm up I've found the hunting community to be the most generous and helpful group I've been around. It's a bit of a fraternity and I think (my opinion) that people want you to prove yourself and that you're willing to work hard, be a good steward of the resource, and frankly you're fun to be with in the woods and hunting situation.

It's a lifetime pursuit, so start now - have fun -- and good luck.

Lastly, don't be afraid to get out there and just do it and hunt solo. You'll learn more about hunting and yourself. That's one of the main ways I've gotten more hunting, I just go if others can't. But I'm still looking for a reliable spring turkey spot, so it's a work in progress. :)

weaver

WKR
Get into archery! Lots of good info on here and on Archerytalk.com. on AT you have to sort through a lot of bs to find the good stuff though...

littlebuf

Banned
oh i didn't see the partner aspect in the post.hunt solo,its the best way to get "more"i dont hunt with anyone,ive tried but i just dont like it other than an occasional trip with someone.but i just cant do the hunting "partner" thing.ive found im m y most reliable hunting partner and im much easier to coordinate time with.

marshrat

FNG
Just get out there and do it. I have small children, so I tend to do more with my family and the friends have fallen off. My kids are my company, and I love getting the whole family out there, but this usually equates to more time outdoors than actual "hunting." I have had to teach myself to duck hunt, goose hunt, archery both compound and traditional. I have been fortunate to find people online willing to help, but to me, this isn't the same as having those around me that can help in person to give me help. I am more than willing to help in any way that I can, if only to offer encouragement. Find local organizations, RMEF, Delta Waterfowl, etc. and you can start meeting people. Same with these forums. You can hunt year round if you want. You just have to do it.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Here's your new schedual:

Jan, shooting AT geese. Don't hit em as they taste like chit.
Feb, get out and do some coyote hunting
March, head east to bowhunt gobblers and fish for wallies and crappies.
April, you can now head east with a boom gun and still hunt gobbler and still fish for wallies and crappies
May-June-July, spend this time prepairing for the upcoming season in many ways.
August, bowhunt elk and mule deer in Co.
Sept, same thing.
Oct, rifle hunt antelope in Co
Nov, head east to bowhunt whitetails, shotgun fall turkeys. If you need more buy a leftover rifle cow tag in Co
Dec, Head east to muzzleload whitetails

Trust me though your gonna need a couple of freezers on the good years. ;)

OP
M
Thanks for the heads up on all of this stuff. It sounds like I need to drink a cup of "man the heck up"!!! and get going. Thanks for all the forums and ideas. I am excited. My wife is taking her second day of hunters safety classes this afternoon and as of tomorrow she will be able to get tags too. I look forward to going out with her.