How Do I Keep My FL Chama from Falling Apart?

sargent

WKR
I have a First Lite Chama Hoody. I've had it about a year and really like it, but it's starting to wear around the ends of the sleeves. Also there is a small hole in one of the sleeves. It seems like the first time a stick or something gets in there it's going to rip open a lot more. How can I repair the shirt or stop further damage?

You could darn the holes with some thick thread. I love my chama but this is exactly why I wear the Klamath now, way better durability and it's warmer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You could stop wearing it lol. It's the Achilles heel of merino, poor durability unless it's a blend

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Meh mine has a bunch of holes, still works, I have almost a 2nd thumb hole on one side, still wearing it every weekend. It's a downside to pure merino when worn as outer layer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have a First Lite Chama Hoody. I've had it about a year and really like it, but it's starting to wear around the ends of the sleeves. Also there is a small hole in one of the sleeves. It seems like the first time a stick or something gets in there it's going to rip open a lot more. How can I repair the shirt or stop further damage?
This is exactly why I don’t wear and won’t buy any more first lite. Very comfortable next to skin but poor durability. Plus when I called them and s and s archery(where I bought some of it) I was told that’s just the way “high performance hunting gear is”. After 1 year is what’s crazy. Good luck.

This is exactly why I don’t wear and won’t buy any more first lite. Very comfortable next to skin but poor durability. Plus when I called them and s and s archery(where I bought some of it) I was told that’s just the way “high performance hunting gear is”. After 1 year is what’s crazy. Good luck.

That is the nature of 100% merino wool. which is why if you look in any other outdoor arena its never used as an outer layer, its always covered by a shell, windshirt, softshell etc.
That is one of the reasons companies are making wool blends now.

*zap*

WKR
Uncle Lous stealth strips are very good for repairing holes in material, very good adhesive and a small bead of silicone around edge of patch.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
That is the nature of 100% merino wool. which is why if you look in any other outdoor arena its never used as an outer layer, its always covered by a shell, windshirt, softshell etc.
That is one of the reasons companies are making wool blends now.
Yep believe all of FL's stuff is a blend now. I have probably 5 or 6 new baselayer merino pieces and none of them have holes. Used my chamas and llanos for 2 years and it has one small hole but I never wore it as an active outer layer

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Chama but its beat, still use it but picked up the newer Kiln, see how that one last. Seems like they would be pretty easy to sew up but the holes don't bother me yet. I have some synthetic base layers from Cabelas that have to be pushing 10 years and they're still in great shape with hardly any fading and i've used them a lot, just not in the latest designer camo. Hopefully the blended materials hold up as well.

Trial153

WKR
I used through my last chama Hoody. None of my first Lite bases really held up well. I can’t see buying more as think there are better option out there.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider

Exactly. EVERY piece of FL gear I have is full of holes or tears while my KUIU merino lightweight tops that I bought when they first came to market years ago are still going strong. 100% when it comes to merino Kuiu>FL

twall13

WKR
Funny, my first lite Merino is much more comfortable than my sole piece of kuiu Merino blend and I've had durability issues with it as well. The stitching came apart and it developed holes with minimal use. I've worn holes all over in my original llano, especially around the wrists as I use the thumb holes alot. While it doesn't look great it still performs as I need it to. That's the nature of the beast with straight Merino. The new aerowool fabric is more durable but it's still gonna wear out quicker than a straight nylon material. To me the performance of Merino is worth it. To others it may not be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
I used through my last chama Hoody. None of my first Lite bases really held up well. I can’t see buying more as think there are better option out there.
What other options are there that are a similar weight/level of warmth, in camo, and hopefully don't cost too much? What are everyone's thoughts on synthetics. I've tried a few synthetic t-shirts and they seem to stink up within a few hours of putting them on.

What are you looking for durability or merino? I call BS on the whole camo thing anyway. I've had recent experiences with deer where camo was worthless because my poly whatnots were glowing. I've even started purchasing solid color merino gear to wear for duck hunting because the critters just don't seem to see it. There is no shine. If I were you I'd use my Chama as an overlayer "camo" piece. Call me crazy, I even repurpesed some merino to put on my bugle tube to keep the shine off.