How do I kill this dang bull!!!

crich

WKR
I forgot my bugle tube on opening day but luckily realized it at about 1/4 mile in so I went back and got it but ya that sounds annoying haha
When are you going back out? Im following along waiting for the next episode to come out 😁 🍿 you've gotten some really good advice so far. Id also dodge left or right a smidge depending on where you think he might come in from. Avoid a frontal shot if you can. Good luck 👍

OP
M
When are you going back out? Im following along waiting for the next episode to come out 😁 🍿 you've gotten some really good advice so far. Id also dodge left or right a smidge depending on where you think he might come in from. Avoid a frontal shot if you can. Good luck 👍
I won’t be able to get back out till maybe Saturday or next Tuesday and Wednesday. I’m hoping the muzzleloader guys don’t swarm the area and it can remain untouched like it has been so far. It’s in a nice little spot only like 3 miles from the trail head and you have to hike up over this first ridge where there isn’t really any elk sign besides really old tracks but once you get over that ridge and onto the next one there’s tons of sign so I’m hoping maybe people that have checked out the area have seen that first ridge and not seen any sign and moved on. Just my wishful thinking.

OP
M
Great thread. I keep re-checking expecting a kill photo any minute with an awesome story.
Hopefully when I go out next week 3rd times a charm and I’ll have a nice photo for ya. There are cows in the area as I passed at least one maybe a quarter mile or so from him so I’m hoping even when he starts rounding them up he will be in the same general area and I’ll be able to keep finding him.

OP
M
Following, sure hope you score because I need closure after reading all this! LOL
Ha thanks I hope so too, I know I’ve put in the work the last 2 years researching, studying, and practicing which is why I’ve been able to be in these encounters so early in my hunting career, but it’s not lost on me that im extremely lucky to have had them. I hear plenty of people who it takes years for them to even see and find elk. Even if I don’t end up getting an elk it’s an experience of a lifetime and an adrenaline rush like I’ve never experienced before. Which no matter what will keep me coming back for life...buuuut I certainly would like to have a full freezer at the end of sept!!!

OP
M
Well guys a little update, I was out for the last few days hunting the same area. The day before yesterday I was on 5 cows and 1 spike which I called in the same area id been running into the bull I’ve been trying to get but unfortunately it’s not legal to shoot him. I’d have no problem taking a cow, but I just can’t get a shot without them busting me. I got into 3 at 17.3 yds but they either saw me or winded me before I could get a shot and busted out, another one I just stumbled into hiking through the timber I took a step looked up and we were staring at each other in the eyes at about 35 yds she didn’t like it and took off haha, and the last cow I was sitting the water near where I’ve been getting on that bull hoping I could get him coming down for water/feed and somehow she ninja’d past me and I didn’t see her until she was making her way back up the hill. It’s insane how quiet they can be when they really want to even with all the deadfall etc, but when I was sitting that water about 7:30pm I hear 2 big KABOOOMs very very close probably under 5/6/700yds or so, so a muzzle loader almost certainly killed an elk maybe the bull I’ve been chasing in the area I’ve been hunting. I backed out and am going to wait untill they’re out of the woods and go back in to see if anything comes back. Yesterday I hunted all day and didn’t see any elk the first day this season I haven’t ran into at least a single elk...so I’m guessing the muzzleloader guys have blown out the area a bit. Hopefully I’ll be lucky and they’ll come back by next week, it was also very quiet bugle wise the last few day’s. Otherwise I’ll have to move on to plan b or c