how do you afford the gear

I have found how to afford all sorts of sweet gear. The problem is I haven't figured out how to do it and still have time to actually USE the gear... I can honestly "afford" any gear I want to buy, however to reach that point I sold all the time I would be out using it. I get 10 days vacation a year and have to balance that between hunting and family and tend to rotate every year between the two. Don't mistake me as complaining, I made the choices that got me here and it is a position many would love to be in. My buddies especially love it, I sent several high end tents, sat phones and bear fences out with friends to the field this fall. My core point is that getting wrapped up in having "premium" or "new" stuff is a fools errand. Make an honest assessment of your real needs then set aside a budget to get what you really need. Never buy new if you can buy used. Never buy retail if you can buy wholesale. Never buy at all if you can borrow. ;)

I will go so far as to guarantee that you will have MORE success if you spend your evenings and weekends out scouting or at the range rather than working extra jobs to afford some primo piece of kit.

OP
Tdiesel

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry guys had a case of the poor me last night found out need a washing machine and that's where my fund went. Dang, don't live anywhere near a laundry mat so I'll restart my fund as soon as that gets taken care of. Just take a little longer to get anything new I guess.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I will go so far as to guarantee that you will have MORE success if you spend your evenings and weekends out scouting or at the range rather than working extra jobs to afford some primo piece of kit.

I couldn't agree more with this one. It's especially gratifying to me to be more successful than guys with the best gear and high price hunting places. I'm convinced you don't need the best, newest, greatest gear most of the time. However, even mediocre used stuff that is a necessity is sometimes even hard to come by.

I've been to Canada fishing the past several years. My gear isn't junk by any means, but it's also not even close to my father-in-law's top end equipment. Over $500 for a rod/reel combo just blows my mind. He seems to get enjoyment out of having the lightest weight fishing rod. I get enjoyment out of catching more and bigger fish than him nearly every time.

Shrek

WKR
I have found how to afford all sorts of sweet gear. The problem is I haven't figured out how to do it and still have time to actually USE the gear... I can honestly "afford" any gear I want to buy, however to reach that point I sold all the time I would be out using it. I get 10 days vacation a year and have to balance that between hunting and family and tend to rotate every year between the two. Don't mistake me as complaining, I made the choices that got me here and it is a position many would love to be in. My buddies especially love it, I sent several high end tents, sat phones and bear fences out with friends to the field this fall. My core point is that getting wrapped up in having "premium" or "new" stuff is a fools errand. Make an honest assessment of your real needs then set aside a budget to get what you really need. Never buy new if you can buy used. Never buy retail if you can buy wholesale. Never buy at all if you can borrow. ;)

I had the golden handcuffs on at one point in my life. Getting free hurt...a lot! I will never let myself get there again. After the basics are covered money buys no more happiness :)

Man... I have a very high maintenance girlfriend but then again she (her father lol) buys all of her own things so it doesn't get put on my shoulders. I'm in grad school and I work a decent job. I don't have much for bills although I do have student loan debts and buying books that cost 300 dollars.... But I buy stuff, then I sell it and what not. I also don't live very high on the hog. Going out to eat and buying lunch at subway adds up man. Pack a PBJ for 40 cents vs a 5 dollar footlong. I also do not buy any pop or bottled water, I take a nalgene wherever I go. And I don't drink/smoke/chew/drugs. Another huge money saver. I also pick up side jobs and what not. Man.... I just need to marry my gf and help her run the family business. Its the dream work schedule. Work 1 day a week at most, and make a LOT of money. I can only imagine how much hunting I would be doing with that kind of schedule and mountains of cash. I also have it worked out with her that I spend lots and lots of time with her during winter/spring/summer, when she likes going out and doing things. I told her before we started dating that the fall is my time. I hunt and thats my hobby so during the fall I'll be hunting a lot. Hopefully she doesn't go back on her "OK" of that term in the relationship!

Hardstalk

WKR
Good luck! You marry her and daddy quits forkin out the cash. Oh it looks good now but daddys no fool. TRUST ME :) sounds very very similar to what i inherited. Ring went on the finger daddy sold the biz. Now guess who forks out the thousand bucks a month for her grad school :(. Ive learned to make due with what gear ive got. And enter alot of free gear giveaways!!

Shrek

WKR
Man... I have a very high maintenance girlfriend but then again she (her father lol) buys all of her own things so it doesn't get put on my shoulders. I'm in grad school and I work a decent job. I don't have much for bills although I do have student loan debts and buying books that cost 300 dollars.... But I buy stuff, then I sell it and what not. I also don't live very high on the hog. Going out to eat and buying lunch at subway adds up man. Pack a PBJ for 40 cents vs a 5 dollar footlong. I also do not buy any pop or bottled water, I take a nalgene wherever I go. And I don't drink/smoke/chew/drugs. Another huge money saver. I also pick up side jobs and what not. Man.... I just need to marry my gf and help her run the family business. Its the dream work schedule. Work 1 day a week at most, and make a LOT of money. I can only imagine how much hunting I would be doing with that kind of schedule and mountains of cash. I also have it worked out with her that I spend lots and lots of time with her during winter/spring/summer, when she likes going out and doing things. I told her before we started dating that the fall is my time. I hunt and thats my hobby so during the fall I'll be hunting a lot. Hopefully she doesn't go back on her "OK" of that term in the relationship!
I'm usually against getting married but... in your case it might work out:D

Jimbob

WKR
Used gear is my ticket. Can I afford a Kifaru pack on a Teachers salary? No way. But when I find one used for $165 then my wife buys me carbon stays for a christmas present I have an amazing pack that I could never afford new. What about western moutainering sleeping bags? way to rich for me. But I found two like new (apache and alpinelite) for $300 combined. Sold my old marmot pinnacle for $120 (only paid $130 on ebay for that). If you buy high quilty used you never loose money b/c you can usually get a good price reselling it. I have made countless purchases like the above that helped me get some top quality gear at a price I can afford.

You have to sacrifice on the exact item you want and spend LOTS of time on websites but there are awesome deals out there.

sk1

WKR
i guess you could say i have a second job.....i work full time and that provides for the house, cars, and all the nice things to spoil my family..but i also use my gi bill from the military to go to school full time at the cheapest regionally accredited school i could find online for extra cash, they pay me $1600 per month tax free to go to school and for a 4 month semester the school i go to total with books only costs $1000, sometimes less. so that's a little over 5k every 4 months of extra money....you could say im wasting my education at this college, but i already have the degree i want before i started going to this school, so i could care less if i have a second degree in under water basket weaving :D i thought about a second job, but being that i work 48 hour shifts for a 72 hour work week as it is, i figured doing this would take away less time from my family and probably make more money doing it anyways

bobhunts

WKR
I'm not debt free.. although I am working on that after I get back from my trip to Alaska. I could pretty much pay it all off or go to Alaska. Going to Alaska! I'll be 49 in a month and know my time is expiring for a once in a life time hunt so I'll do that. But those of you that live debt free are on the right track given where our government has put us! I still put money away in my gun safe and it adds up. I had to put a new water heater tank in my camper and almost had enough after using that fund for archery season this year.

KMock

FNG
Buy your gear after the season, for the following year! It will be on clearance before spring.

Also, shop the bargain! cave, or return bins after season. Guys will buy nice gear, use it once, then return it. Your benefit. I bought a great pack last spring for 60% off retail.

zia

FNG
I am a doctor so at this point I can buy whatever, whenever. As an encouragement to others I remember holding my newborn daughter in a grocery store and asking my wife "should we buy food or diapers?" because we couldnt afford both. Keep working hard, all honest work is admirable and is eventually rewarded. Most important money lesson by far?......Tithe first.

Last edited:

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Ot ot ot.....and made alot of purchases from online retailers having clearance sales or big discounts on discontinued stuff. Dont have the best stuff, but definiately have some very good stuff

I have no other hobbies, bowhunting/shed hunting and if I have time I duck hunt a few times a year. All of my expendable income goes towards bow hunting. I am also debt free which helps out quite a bit. No kids, no mortgage (I rent a cheap place), no truck payment, no credit card bills, no loans and I rarely eat out. It is what it is... I do know this, if I didn't enjoy drinking beers with my buddies so much I'd have much more money :) At this point I own pretty much everything I need/want and it hasn't been easy getting to this point, but now that I am where I am, I plan to do all I can to keep my life simple and stay on track...

I haven't played golf in over three years, I have all but stopped fishing, I don't blow money on alcohol and I spend every minute of my me time (limited with a toddler around) thinking about bowhunting!

Selling older gear to buy newer gear (as others have mentioned) also helps.

I went and got a cabelas card and use it for gas, groceries and anything I can in order to build points and by all my sitka gear through them. Each purchase I go home and have it deducted from my checking act so it doesnt cost me.