how do you afford the gear

I donate my blood plasma. $240 bucks a month for 2 hours a week. The money gets automatically loaded on a debit card and I only use it for hunting gear unless an emergency comes up where I need it for something else.

Beastmode

WKR
Some lessons on here to be learned by most of America!

Some lessons on here to be learned by most of America!

I like to use as many credit cards as I get approved for to buy my gear. I figure if I get approved for a credit card or even a second on my home I can afford it.... The bank says so. Haha
:)

On the serious side of Things I usually wait until I get a check with a fair amount of overtime in it and put half the overtime money in to savings, 1/4 to my wife for her photography passion and 1/4 to my hunting passion... I mean addiction.

mtnkid85

WKR
I bet I buy 90% of my gear/clothes ect second hand and or used. I keep tabs on alot of the forums for sale sections and generally only buy new during good sales.
All of my gear is multi use. I use the same packs, boots, clothes, ect for all my outtings climbing, backpacking and hunting. As a result some of my stuff isnt idealy geared towards hunting specifically but it fits me well and I know I can rely on it.

Also Ive been enjoying outdoor pursuits for ~14 years; Ive also been collecting gear for the same amount of time. Just this year I finally retired my first sleeping bag my father bought me all those years ago.
I can certainly see how it would be tough to go out a buy it all in a short period of time, so all you can do is use what you have and upgrade/purchase as time goes on. For several of those years I did just fine with my mid-lower end gear.
Big ticket items try to share or cordinate with your buddy. For a long time I didnt own a tent because we always used my partners, both of you dont need to purchase a full kitchen set, I still borrow my brothers spotting scope when I can, ect ect.

trk3263

WKR
I walk out in my garage and look at all the things that I haven't used and than I sell them and buy gear with that. I also go to the REI garage sales which the first sale I was able to buy a majority of the items I needed to bivy hunt for about $200 from there I have slowly upgraded my gear piece by piece prioritizing my needs and wants.

I generally sell things I already have to fund a purchase of something else. I Buy used gear, used bows, etc.
Once you have some gear together your set for awhile. Just have to not look at the ads and pics of new "fancy" things ha!

Andy Dana

FNG
I don't really have any new or best and much of what I have is bought used...buying good quality used and taking care of it really goes a long way to being able to stretch the dollar for more....as well putting up with good enough is better then staying home.

Craig4791

WKR
Working tons of overtime! Working in an oil refinery you can rack up some serious hours. As of last month I am no longer an hourly employee though so I'll have to be a little more conservative with my gear purchases :) But I also live below my means and am really close to being debt free other than my home. Goal for 2014 is to spend less on gear and more on hunts!

Even though both my wife and I have great salaries, I buy only quality items that are on sale (clearance). I will search for months to find the right gear. Doing that with sleeping bag right now. My family also gives me gift cards each year for birthdays and Xmas that I use. I also sell what gear I have before buying a similar item. This year I sold 2 packs given as gifts in order to get a kifaru pack. I don't go overboard with anything and only do DIY hunts. Living in colorado helps as the animals here are enough for me. I've bought one new rifle and one new bow in the past 20 years! Paying cash for our vehicles, having no mortgage, and saving for early retirement is more important for our family. My wife is the big push for this and I love her for it. Whenever I get the itch to buy something, I get the "do you really need it?" response. If I really do need it, then it's bought no question and my wife always says buy what you need, don't just buy the cheapest. I did that (buying the cheap shi$) a lot before we got married. Some may not like that set up but it works for me. Hope I don't sound like I am on my high horse, but that's how I afford gear. Buy only what you need and not what you want.

Last edited:

TEmbry

WKR
I make a lot of money. lol

On a real note, I am living on grad student loans and spend 75%+ of my budget on hunting trips. I buy nice gear no doubt, but as Justin points out... if you can withstand the temptation of new stuff, once you buy your basis of gear you are set. I don't get a new bow until atleast 5-7 years pass. I buy mid level optics instead of the top of the line optics (I don't sheep hunt and could care less whether a buck is 150 or 170...I'd shoot either). By FAR my biggest investment was a solid line up of kuiu clothing and my Kifaru Timberline pack. Huge expense that I still shake my head at, but I'm set for 10+ years now.

For what some guys spend in dip every year I go on atleast two out of state hunts per year.

littlebuf

Banned
My plan:

Buy everything I want before I have kids or get married

Cause I know im screwed after that

I've experienced the exact opposite, and I wouldn't consider kids and a wife being screwed hut rather blessed. One man's opinion. As far as affording gear goes I have guys who are "hunters" at work ask me this sometimes. I look at them smoking and and ask how much do you spend on smokes a month, or beer or going out to dinner or fill in the blank. It's about prioritizing, I don't buy lunch I bring lunch I don't buy coffee I make mine in the morning. Stuff like that, it adds up

boom

WKR
getting married was the best move i ever made. single, i spent like an idiot. married, now i have savings, and a game plan for retirement. here is the kicker. my wife got laid off 1 year into our marriage. she wanted to go to nursing school, so we made it happen.

i am the only bread-winner and i still save more money than i have ever done in my adult life. criminy..when she gets a job, it will be freaking unbelievable!! my wife is a juggernaut saver!!

i kinda think, if you have to sell stuff to buy stuff..you are riding that ragged edge..and you probably shouldnt be buying. unless, you are dumping stuff you never want again, or will use again.

my wife gives me an "allowance" it is a tiny amount per month. i save it like a mad-man until i can buy something i want. the funny thing..once i saved up the cash..i USUALLY dont even want the item anymore. the buying urge is gone! crazy how much cash you can build up. when i bought my new bow, my wife had to bite her tongue. it was coming out of my private, no wife BS budget. it was awesome.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
getting married was the best move i ever made. single, i spent like an idiot. married, now i have savings, and a game plan for retirement. here is the kicker. my wife got laid off 1 year into our marriage. she wanted to go to nursing school, so we made it happen.

i am the only bread-winner and i still save more money than i have ever done in my adult life. criminy..when she gets a job, it will be freaking unbelievable!! my wife is a juggernaut saver!!

i kinda think, if you have to sell stuff to buy stuff..you are riding that ragged edge..and you probably shouldnt be buying. unless, you are dumping stuff you never want again, or will use again.

my wife gives me an "allowance" it is a tiny amount per month. i save it like a mad-man until i can buy something i want. the funny thing..once i saved up the cash..i USUALLY dont even want the item anymore. the buying urge is gone! crazy how much cash you can build up. when i bought my new bow, my wife had to bite her tongue. it was coming out of my private, no wife BS budget. it was awesome.

When I sell something to fund another purchase, it's usually because I don't want to touch my savings. In the last 4 years we have managed to save and pay off more than we can stand and it works pretty well. You can afford just about anything you want if you pay off debt and stay out of debt. I will second that marriage makes you more conscious of how much you spend and where.

boom

WKR
When I sell something to fund another purchase, it's usually because I don't want to touch my savings. In the last 4 years we have managed to save and pay off more than we can stand and it works pretty well. You can afford just about anything you want if you pay off debt and stay out of debt. I will second that marriage makes you more conscious of how much you spend and where.

no, i get it. totally.

but for me, if i find i want some gidget..call it gidget A..and i want it bad, and i find myself searching my inventory to see what i can sell, i probably cant afford it.

i used to tell myself..hell, Gidget B. i never use it, and if i do..i can buy another one. Gidget B is now for sale!!

i sell stuff all the time. i just dump the money into my hidden spot. i suffer from impulse shopping..i gotta slow it down, or i will buy something stupid. that recent 25% off of an EZ green bow press ALMOST got me. almost.. the deadline was like some elixer..it almost got me. glad i stepped back. later.

getting my credit card debt GONE was a great move for me. too easy for the quick fix, impulse purchase. that gotta have it now thing didnt work well for me.