How do you aim? Smaller gaps- nice

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I paraphrased your post below....but I have been through the same thing....its frustrating. You said it well though....these stick bows are incredibly good at exposing the tiniest flaw.

Unlike a compound where we see guys punching away and they still hit the target.

when you get in a slump with a trad bow, it's pretty daunting, work on one aspect of your shot, and it's not getting better because another aspect is being done wrong, like string hand position, or high bow arm shoulder, grip, elbow orientation.... then the rest of the shot like head position, alignment, direction of expansion at the shot, etc.

it's incredibly hard to stay cognitive in all of the aspects of the shot, especially when already frustrated, and if you don't, you just can't have a strong shot....

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I'm still learning the new jargon.. but have been shooting traditional for 25 yrs.. I pick a spot and focus on my release.. my arrow point is in my site window but is a subconscious factor

Yeah, I'm in the camp that either consciously or unconsciously... seeing or know where the end of that arrow is makes for more consistent accuracy.

Though I have shot with a couple guys in tourneys- one at the Trad nationals- that swears he shoots purely instinctive and they both shot pretty good. Personally I've never seen a 'pure instinctive ' shooter win a tourney...or even be right up there with the top shooters.

I bring it up not to start a debate...shoot what feels best...but to point out that some sort of reference to the tip of you arrow does give you a reference point...and a smaller gap [or point on] from everything I've seen is more accurate.

____

howl

WKR
Before the internet I didn't realize so many trad shooters didn't shoot instinctively. I shoot the same way I shoot a shotgun. Trying to memorize leads 360 degrees at every velocity and aim consciously isn't an option. A bad mount, looking at the barrel or thinking too much are the reasons I miss with both.

I wonder why anyone would bother with a trad bow if you have to do all those extra steps. Seems like enough trouble that you might as well use something else.

Also not a gap shooter but with my former set up I noticed I was ok in groups at 35 and much better at 45-50 so I decided to find my point on...it was right about 50 yards. So what you are talking about makes sense to me even though I don't consciously gap shoot I know my brain is using points of reference whether I realize it or not.

Are you shooting a Titan III ? That's what I went to a couple of years ago and I love mine !

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Are you shooting a Titan III ? That's what I went to a couple of years ago and I love mine !

Yeah, I think thats it......its the latest Tradtech Aluminum riser iteration. Nice riser...it has some heft to it without feeling heavy, good balance. Bought some light Dryad limbs in the AT classifieds and they shoot pretty good.

I paraphrased your post below....but I have been through the same thing....its frustrating. You said it well though....these stick bows are incredibly good at exposing the tiniest flaw.

Unlike a compound where we see guys punching away and they still hit the target.
I was a trigger puncher always with a compound, and am currently working on that almost daily too. when I start getting sloppy with the recurve from fatigue, i'm still fresh for compound shooting. as much as anything, i'm using it for another training tool to keep shot control.... same with my rifles.

I think I should shoot anything without being twitchy, and if I can't, that will likely show up shooting my recurve. I have a whole bunch of years of bad habits piled up from shooting weapons that are very forgiving in that regard..... the recurve exploiting that has gave me less confidence all around, which is a pretty big incentive to fix the bad habits 😉

humility is one hell of a teacher, and you cannot beat it, so may as well embrace it.

no more just shooting for me. it sure is nice being able to aim, haha

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Puncher with a compound myself.

When I find myself plucking the shot I go back to concentrating on feeling back muscles on the shot...no tension in my arm....I try to make my arm/hand dead and let my back do the work.

When I'm doing it right its a beautiful thing! Now if I could just do that more than 70% of the time....,grin

________

Puncher with a compound myself.

When I find myself plucking the shot I go back to concentrating on feeling back muscles on the shot...no tension in my arm....I try to make my arm/hand dead and let my back do the work.

When I'm doing it right its a beautiful thing! Now if I could just do that more than 70% of the time....,grin

________
I think that is one of the main draws of traditional archery, it's such a simple thing, yet so technical, always a ton of room to improve. I have been shooting my light bow mostly, just drilling form, concentrating on expansion.… I am not going to forget how to aim, so i'm concentrating on the movement, and direction of movement... I hate when I feel like i'm expanding but the clicker won't go.... but it tells me that i'm not doing it right.

you are right, it's an awesome thing when doing things right.... nothing like it shooting any other weapon. some days it's harder than others to have the concentration to shoot all good shots, which of course is the driving force to shoot more and more.

it pisses me off when I don't get through the clicker, but it's reassuring when those shots are still landing well.... that good enough thought is a strong one, but it's getting better all the time.

I think the first set of limbs I get for my Das riser will be really light, like 25lbs, just because the lighter the bow, the more feedback you get on the release.... my hunting bow masks that pretty well, my 40lb bow doesn't, and a lighter one will be even more telling.

traditional archery certainly doesn't seem like a good harbor for ego.... gotta let it go. it's interesting how shooting trad bows exposes you (or at least has for me)

Demunds

FNG
Fixed crawl here. Going that direction helped make me accurate enough to start hunting with my recurve a few years ago. I could never get consistent enough with 3 under or split. Makes tuning a little harder without the ability to adjust tiller on my bow but well worth it.

Still new to this, but I was very happy to see the difference from when I was trying gap to when I switch to a fixed crawl.

Tradchef

WKR
I shoot three under, shaft under the eye,both eyes open, point on for me is about 28 yards and a grip sear. The sear just helps me settle down and focus on my shot instead of rushing.

Jimbo2312

FNG
Fixed crawl helped me immensely, I'd like to thank a few of those guys personally. I'm glad I'm not the only one who kind of morphs fixed crawl with "burning a hole" though. Also, I can't "stack" arrows to save my life, so I have two fixed crawls on my bows.