How do you carry bow while hunting?

Wrench

WKR
September elk move a LOT. I have had them show up like they were dropped out of s helicopter. Be ready for it. Even hauling ass trying to make time, I've had them run in thinking I was elk.

Rob5589

WKR
Carried in hand one way or another. Never strapped to the pack unless I have tagged out or it is completely out of shooting light.

Randle

WKR
I just rest my stabilizer on the back of my neck, bow laying on my shoulder. I also added a bow belt hook to my pack belt. I will alternate between those places or in my hand, depending on how dense the jungle is.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Used to have it in my hand then had it on my pack and lost a tight spot w/5 GT Platinums somewhere over a 4hr stent 6.8 miles back going off the GPS. Went to knock an arrow and I was like this looks odd where’s my quiver. Back tracked for hours and never found it. Always in my hand now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the notes and posts everyone. Newbie here heading to CO for OTC this season with my son. This thread was handy.

Just my opinion. ( I travel west from East coast to hunt ) for the time and effort and money I put in to hunt elk, my bow is always in my hand if I have shooting light. I might carry it on my shoulder, by string, grip or riser. But just can't bring myself to strap it to my pack or use a sling unless it's dark.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If it's light out I have my bow in my hand. I carry it by the string in my right hand. If it's in my left I cradle it like carrying a rifle and after dark it's strapped to my pack.

excaliber

WKR
I have always carried mine by the string most of the time and then by the grip to switch it up. I've seen the Primos bow sling and I think I may try one for carrying in the dark when making the hike up, when moving to another spot and for whenever I'm not actually hunting. They look like they work really well and it takes very little time to get ready for a shot.

Gumbo

WKR
The Montana Bow Sling was a game changer for me. It is plenty quick and easy to get your bow on and off the hooks and saves your arm strength, which for me is affected by days of carrying an 8-pound bow around. For $35 it is worth every penny. It takes a little tinkering to get it set up right, but once you do I guarantee you won't go back.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The new PSE aluminum riser bows have flush cups milled into the riser and their sling mounts into those. You can shoot with the sling still attached as nothing is on the cams or the string. I hardly ever strap my bow to my pack, my recurve never, seems like the pack straps put too much undue wear on your string and cables from chaffing. Not to mention how many limbs and what not you catch with it strapped on there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How do you guys carry your bow when you chasing a bugle? Is it on your pack, in your hand or on a sling?

Trying to figure out if I should go with a bow cover or a bow sling for western backpacking.

If I'm chasing a bugle it is in my hand 99% of the time. If I am hiking into a spot or back to camp I either have it on my pack or use the Sitka bow sling depending on the hunt and terrain.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I use a modified Kifaru Gun Bearer in which the 2" webbing with a bucket has been replaced by 2" webbing with a hook. Hook attaches to my riser near the lower limb and the quick release buckle goes around my quiver, or even sometimes around the riser near the upper limb.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
If I’m making a trek on my pack. If we are hunting in my hand and if it gets elky, meaning sign, smells like elk, sounds from elk I nocking a arrow. Too many times all of sudden there’s a shooter and by the time you ditch the pack it’s too late. Once we’ve zeroed in on where they are we normally keep one guy locked and loaded.

I use a drop pouch for magazines and have my 9 inch stabilizer in it. My elbow is placing pressure to keep the bow from swinging downwards, but not much pressure is needed. This is a lot more comfortable when I am bow-hiking. The trekking pole does not really have the opportunity to smack against my bottom cam because 1) the bow tends to try to come over my "lap area" and the way my elbow rests over it, predetermines the path my hand will swing which in turn predetermines where the pole will go.
Not as comfortable but more accessible than strapping it to your pack.
Not as accessible but more comfortable than holding it in your hand.

Side note. the dump pouch is always full of snacks.

walleyes

FNG
I use a bow sling and put a S clip on the front shoulder strap of my pack. That ways it basically carries under my arm. It works great as I can use both hands to glass or whatever and still hold the bow for control if I am bushwhacking or crawling over deadfall. It just takes a split second to take it out of sling And shoot. And the sling remains attached to the pack if I am stalking or moving around.

In my hand while seriously hunting/calling. In a Kifaru Gunbearer if hiking in, covering ground etc.

In my hand if hiking up or down steep terrain while a unpunched tag in my pocket. If on flat terrain I carry it by the string. If I have punched a tag I will try to fit it on my backpack if it fits.