How do you carry bow while hunting?

Holocene

WKR
In my hand 100% of the time that I'm on foot. Exceptions for when I'm biking in to a deep spot, snack time, naps, going to the bathroom and cutting up an elk.

The area I hunt has tons of logging roads, and more than once I've had animals cross in front or show up out of nowhere.

+1 about not wanting to damage the bow. I've taken some gnarly spills hunting the Oregon coast and was able to fall in a way that protected the bow so I could keep hunting. If I carried a bow on my back 3-4 would have been crushed by now. I'm not a clumsy person (so I say). It's just gnarly, gnarly country where we hunt.

If I heard a bugle -- no doubt I would have the bow ready to go. Action can happen faster than you think.

I bought both because it was like $5 more. But I got lucky and got them during a sale.
Nice. Are the hooks flexible? As in, are you able to tighten them against your riser? From the picture, it looks like the bow would bounce around if they couldn’t be tightened.

Gumbo

WKR
Nice. Are the hooks flexible? As in, are you able to tighten them against your riser? From the picture, it looks like the bow would bounce around if they couldn’t be tightened.
They are rigid, but you might be able to bend them if you really wanted to. The key to keeping your bow from bouncing is to get the strap lengths right and attached to the right places on your pack. Mine rides just far enough up under my arm that I can lightly hold the arrows in my Tightspot to keep it from bouncing and to lift it over sage and brush. It really is pretty awesome once you use it. The only downside is that the straps tend to get wrapped around your shoulder straps when putting on your pack, but it is a small price to pay for having your hands free and unfatigued arms.

walleye26

FNG
I strap it to my pack when I'm getting into the unit I'm hunting, then its either in my hand or resting over my shoulders

As a result of this thread I bought a Montana bow sling. Got it fitted to my pack the other day and I believe this is the solution I’ve been looking for. Comfortable, fast release, instant access, simple, easy adjustment, inexpensive, out of the way once you release the bow. Love it so far, worth a look.

Moldrupj

FNG
If it’s legal to shoot where I am and when I’m there, it’s in my hand. I might throw it on my pack if I’m hiking back to camp after dark.

Carlin59

WKR
In my hand while actively hunting, strapped to my pack when moving through especially tough terrain or moving in the dark. There have been a few mishaps (re: falling/sliding) while holding my bow that I don’t think would have happened if had been strapped on and I had both hands free. I need to be smarter about taking the 30 seconds to stop and strap my bow to my pack. Not worth the damage to myself or my bow.

I have a quick release on my pack. I'll leave it there if we have a hike in in the am. However usually once it comes off the pack it is off for the day.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
The Montana Bow Sling was a game changer for me. It is plenty quick and easy to get your bow on and off the hooks and saves your arm strength, which for me is affected by days of carrying an 8-pound bow around. For $35 it is worth every penny. It takes a little tinkering to get it set up right, but once you do I guarantee you won't go back.
If not in my hands and needing to give arms /hands a rest, or glassing. This is my experience, after trying a few other methods. Highly recommend Montana bow sling!!

September elk move a LOT. I have had them show up like they were dropped out of s helicopter. Be ready for it. Even hauling ass trying to make time, I've had them run in thinking I was elk.

With all the walking and climbing I do for elk I use a My Sling-A-Ling sling made by Bonewhacker. It allows you to shoot the bow with the sling on. Check it out on Bonewhacker.com.

In my hand. I don’t put on back or in pack. I’ve taken a few falls Before wouldn’t want to fall and smash up the bow