How do you compare binos?

mnwanders

FNG
How do you compare binos with your eyes and not with your head?

Comparing price, FOV, and all the assorted specs seems fairly easy in addition to reading the forums to gain a sense of brand prestige and fellow hunter preference. But how do you tell the difference through your eyes? I had a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and they were stolen this summer so I was in the market for a new pair of binos. Not being able to afford the high tier binos, I was initially set on upgrading to a pair of Vortex Vipers and a bunch of articles seemed to indicate that this was one of the best options in a mid-price range. Unfortunately, I had trouble finding a pair of Vipers at a price that I found acceptable for my budget. I have since purchased a pair of Maven C1s and Leupold BX-4 HDs. Fortunately for me I got them each at about the same price due to a steep discount on the Leupolds. Based on the retail price alone ($649 for Leupold vs $350 for Maven), you would think the Leupolds to be much better but I cannot tell a difference. The Leupolds seem better constructed, the focus wheel and eyepieces seem to be tighter than the Mavens, but they seem to have the same exact brightness and clarity to my eyes. In fact, until I figured out the weird Leupold diopter adjustment (my eyes are pretty different) I thought the Mavens were much better. Now that I figured that out though, I see no difference. My initial test was just looking across a city field at dusk, so maybe not the best test but I can't tell a difference.

I'd love some tips on how to better test the difference.

I try to look at a colored background with writing on it. If I am at a sports store I go outside and try to glass something as far as I can and compare the binos that way. I will use the edge of binos to see how clear they are there as well. This never gives me an idea about "last light" clarity though. Bushnells new forge binos may be worth a look as well. They aint the bushnells yer grampa had!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hard to say without actually using them in the field what you like better. I only have vortex binos at the moment. 15x56 kaibabs, 12x50 diamondbacks, and 10x42 vipers (kaibabs and vipers both made in Japan models)

I got the vipers and the kaibabs used off here for really good deals.

I just got the vipers this year for archery. They are surprisingly clear, but compared to the kaibabs, they need wayyyy more adjusting for focus. The kaibabs are super forgiving on focus. The diamondbacks got up almost instantly. The kaibabs don’t fog. Haven’t had the vipers fog yet.

that’s all I know! Good luck you choose!

HuntNTag

WKR
I’m a data hog when it comes to analyzing information and specs, likely how you are looking at things on the spreadsheets for these binos you mention.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to buy or rent many different optics and a few things that stick out to me have been...

1. Everyone’s eyes are different. You might like something different then I would and vice versa.

2. Top tier glass is definitely better. However, even when you look at the very pricey glass, you will see things differently, such as glare, color of your surroundings in different tints and depth of view.

3. Best way to feel out your binos is to use them in the outdoors in low light situations 30 min before and after sunset. You will quickly see which you enjoy most.

4. If you are looking at data, you might pick what your best opportunity cost might be as well.

A: for example, I looked at swaros, SLC’s and EL’s in multiple sizes. I owned leica, Meopta optics. I own mavens in multiple sizes and styles, I have vortex optics, etc. out of all of them, my favorite is still a vortex razor in a 10x42 for the sheer weight to glass quality ratio

I suffer a bit in field of view and the glass isn’t as good as my mavens or swaros but saving ounces and being able to feel better about packing in my spotter or my 18’s is where my choices have come into play.

End of story, look through binoculars and spend as much as you can. There is a difference but look into the small details of what you care about most to make your decision.

Those mavens you have will hold their own and would retail pretty close to those leupolds if they had full retail markup and weren’t direct to consumer.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
59F8A6C6-6B59-42C4-8995-ED0CAA4D31CA.jpeg

This is how I do it. 4 at a time is no problem as I stack 2 with no issues. Can’t seem to find a pic of that. This was Noctivid vs ELs.