How Do You Decide on a Unit?

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Being a new elk hunter, this a question I’ve tangled with, so I’m curious how others have decided on a particular unit. Do you choose a unit based upon convenience ( ease of access/ geographical location nearest home )? Or look at factors such as game numbers and hunter pressure. For example, should I look at units that may have slightly less hunting pressure, but have fewer animals. Or is a better approach to look into areas with higher game numbers, but ultimately more hunting pressure? These are just a couple questions I’ve had, and I’m interested to hear how others have factored which units they are going to hunt. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
if i were coming from michigan to hunt i'd want to pick what i can live with and without. if the top goal is harvest then look for high animal numbers and high hunter success. if you're after the experience then find an area with less pressure and learn it well. it may take a few years to harvest.

Sled

WKR
fwiw, i hunt a high pressure area that i know well. i've been fortunate enough to harvest every year but i live here and can put in the time. sometimes i just let the other hunters do the work for me (weekend hunts).

Beendare

WKR
Dartboard? ........Grin

If you are talking OTC or gen units, hunter pressure is the numero uno factor....thus its the factor to plan around....

FWIW, I've hunted probably 20 OTC units in multiple states....All had elk.

No super secret squirrel strategy...so don't be disappointed...... It was pretty much about lacing up my boots and finding them.....

_____

None of the above! Definitely not from information from the internet. Only one way for me and it’s solid. Networking. Word of mouth from trusted guys with actual experience in the area. This is especially important because it’s not just about picking a unit. It’s more about where in the unit to hunt, what’s going on there, and how to approach it. You can almost throw a dart at a map to pick a unit. They all have elk.

Sturgeon

WKR
I think the first thing I look at is land access(good amount of public land and not too many roads), Then I take those and look at hunter success, hunter numbers, and season dates. If there are a couple that look good then take a peak on google earth and see if you find terrain that look good to you. Also I will search the unit in google. If there is a ton of info popping up on it chances are there will be a lot of pressure which may correspond to the hunter numbers.

I did a write up on this last year. Just my .02

Harveli

FNG
This year will be my first elk hunt I chose the Flat Tops Wilderness Area I just wanted something that offered dark timber and high elevation and foot traffic only
I know they will be a ton of people but I deal with that hunting public land all the time

Dark timber! I guess if you hunt Colorado with all the pressure that’s where the elk will be. I prefer semi open. Get on a vantage point and spot elk at a distance. But I hunt Montana and Wyoming and elk there are out feeding 2 hours after sunup and 2 to 4 hours before dark depending on the weather. Maybe you should think more about picking a state instead of a unit. Pressured nocturnal elk are tough to hunt.

OP
yoopshoot

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider

I did a write up on this last year. Just my .02

Thank you. Great info!

CJohnson

WKR
Terrain (I want steep) & road scarceness, with those two I find elk with little issue. I could careless about hunter numbers or elk numbers. I hunt areas/elevations where the elk are living at present

ElkNut

Just curious, do you look for steep terrain because you want a wide variety of options to hunt a different elevations, the elk just like steep stuff, or the steep stuff keeps other people out? Or, none of the above?

I’d say he wants that to be able to work hard to go where other hunters don’t go. To put a barrier between himself and everyone else. Also if elk are pressured they’ll do the same thing so that’s where they’ll be.

Swede

WKR
I changed units three years ago. I went to a unit I knew from earlier experience and had some familiarity with. I scouted it for a week in the summer for a couple of years before I made the change. Unfortunately a new elk hunter from back east can' just do that.
I assume you have no one to go with that knows more than you do, so you are essentially a blank page when it comes to knowing a good area.
Here are some questions I have for you. Are you going to be hunting every year? If not then put in for a good draw unit and hunt when drawn. If you can afford to apply for multiple State draw units, you need to come up with a plan just for that.
Are you driving from home and back or can you fly to someplace and then rent a pickup/suv? If you are driving all the way, then you probably don't want to spend an extra day on the road each way, as it will shorten your hunting time. How do you want to hunt? If it is spot and stalk, you don't want to hunt dark timber. Personally I don't care about hunting dark anything and I am not into north facing slopes. I am hunting elk and not trees or scenery.
Ultimately a mediocre unit you know is better than a good one you have no experience with. You can shorten your learning curve by doing the things the Indian Summer wrote about in his two posts. I would decide on a State or two, then look over the success rates for different units. Pick two or three otc units with average or better success where private holding are limited and try to learn as much as you can about them.
One last thing and I will stop. I would rather know elk and their ways, than all about some hunting unit. Knowing elk will set you up to find them.

fatlander

WKR
Paralysis by analysis is a real thing. You’ll make yourself crazy trying to pick the perfect OTC/general unit. Honestly, just pick one with a good amount of public and pretty good access.

Pour over the map of that unit and pick places that look promising. Keep crossing them off the list until you find elk.

cnelk

WKR
Units with undersubscribed cow tags is something to consider. That usually means the herd is over objective.