How do you do it?

OP
wk93

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Wow guys thanks for the advice. All of you definitely have the system that works for you. I'll have to take many of these into consideration as they all seems like great ideas.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
As far as what to do about it, I would suggest becoming part of a community that exercises together. Dare I advise Crossfit as a solution? Yes, but only after the gym has been vetted thoroughly to determine whether or not the coaches are simply turds that paid for the weekend certification and bought a franchise. If they're good to go and they are conscientious of your needs/limitations Crossfit it up!

Dustin

Excellent advice above. I was always on some kind of team or part of a group, baseball and hockey, the army, I was used to practicing or training with people. When I moved to Idaho I wanted a place that would allow me to socialize and be part of a group when I worked out. I lucked out with my CF gym that they did almost the same programming I did on my own but would make me do more conditioning work than I was doing. Now I get up, eat a little pre-workout snack and go train like I'm on autopilot. Knowing you're gonna see people you like every time you go is a helpful motivator.

TheBuzz

FNG
It seems to me the strongest motivational tools for people seem to be in no particular order....it makes them feel better, vanity, fear of being fat (vanity), getting laid (vanity), lower body fat means your penis looks bigger (vanity), accomplishing goals in other sports (mountain hunting etc.), health scares, and in some cases peer pressure. Apparently none of these seem to be of big concern to some....to each their own.

As far as what to do about it, I would suggest becoming part of a community that exercises together. Dare I advise Crossfit as a solution? Yes, but only after the gym has been vetted thoroughly to determine whether or not the coaches are simply turds that paid for the weekend certification and bought a franchise. If they're good to go and they are conscientious of your needs/limitations Crossfit it up!
...WELL NOW! that there is motivation enough!!! ;)

I personally, have NEVER liked to run, so I load a pack, flip a big old tire carcass, find or build a pull up bar, and like someone said above, do a WOD...find your routine and in time, you'll see results....I also turn a wrench and I have went from a tool box or wheeled bag, to a tool backpack...at 20# of tools and using stairs as much as I can, I get the legs and heart rate up,hauling that around 5 days a week....be creative.

Buzz :)

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ambition but as far as living the dream of doing recreational activities daily, I am limited. I work a lot of o.t. And with 3 kids in sports, it's hard to find time. I've been working out for years and it's tough just to find time to drive to the gym. I started to get the shits of it (not being able to get there) so I sat down one day and wrote down about 20 different workouts. They are all completely different. From weightlifting workouts for when I CAN go to the gym. I have WOD's for days I don't have a lot of time and need a high intensity 15min workout. I hike,bike or swim when I can fit it in. Body weight training etc. Changing it up keeps it exciting and keeps shocking the muscles. Having a plan written down of what you need to accomplish keeps you from half-assing it. Or you could set a goal for example of knocking out x amount of push-ups before bed. Take a challenge. If u look online there are tons of workout challenges. That'll get u motivated.

My motivation was just to be able to hunt as hard as I could for as long as I could. I had been out of shape for my entire life, then in late January I decided I would never let my physical condition prevent me from killing an animal again. I totally changed my eating habits and joined the gym. It was tough at first and I was self conscious about being overweight at the gym. I never had anyone give me crap for it though, everyone where I go is super cool. It didn't take long and it became an addiction for me and I hate missing days at the gym. So far I am down 93 pounds and have never felt better! I can get to places now that I wouldn't have thought possible and can do it without feeling like I'm gonna die. Figure out your goals and stick to them!! It'll become something you cant live without in no time!

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I came out of college at 250lbs of pure fat. I tried to workout during college and would fall into the same rut, I'd get hyped up about it and would just slowly taper off and quit going regularly. Eventually, I found something that motivated me more than just trying to look better- I raced my first triathlon and was pretty hooked on the competitive aspect of it. I pushed myself very hard after that, and fell into a routine of working out regularly- I lost 70 lbs and was in the best shape of my life. I needed to work out, it made me feel great, I had more energy than ever, and had never felt better in my life. Fast forward about 2 years into it- I switched to primarily a running focus, dropped biking and swimming for the most part and ended up ramping up my running miles too quickly and hurt myself. I was pretty much out of any high impact workouts and even biking for about 6 months. I gained about ~25 lbs back fairly quickly. I fell out of a regular workout routine and when the time came to start again- I was really bad and lazy about it. I had spent the last few years with it being a regular part of my day and once that wasn't the case, it was a huge change to try to start again. Happy to say now I have been back on track for the last year or so, and have crushed a lot of my goals that I had set previously.

Long story short- the more I work out and push myself, the more I am motivated to go on a regular basis. Once I'm in full swing, I feel so good after a workout that it becomes essential to my day. I work 12 hour shifts and I make it a point to be up and hit the gym for at least an hour before work. It makes for a long day, but on the days I don't go (that aren't scheduled rest days) I feel much worse than had I actually gone.

I should also add the fact that I am not a freak of nature fitness person- I love beer, bourbon, pizza, anything salty, and most everything sweet. I'm a regular 'ol human and don't think I am any sort of exception as far as fitness goes- just an average guy. I think it takes a while for it to become habitual, but once it is- it's the best you'll feel and it only gets better.

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
It was tough at first and I was self conscious about being overweight at the gym. I never had anyone give me crap for it though, everyone where I go is super cool.

I cannot stress enough, that as a person who has been there and felt the same and made a significant change as far as my overall health and weight goes- I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who is willing to commit to making the same change. It was one of the hardest things I've done in my life, and I'm damn proud of myself for doing it- I would stick up for any random person I saw at the gym that was at least giving it an effort.

It may sound weird, but it makes me happy to see overweight people working out. I know their pain, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they are going through. Everyone has to start somewhere- There are plenty of douchebags out there who may be judgemental, but I promise you that if you're overweight and committed to making a change- you're a stronger person than they are anyway.

I cannot stress enough, that as a person who has been there and felt the same and made a significant change as far as my overall health and weight goes- I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who is willing to commit to making the same change. It was one of the hardest things I've done in my life, and I'm damn proud of myself for doing it- I would stick up for any random person I saw at the gym that was at least giving it an effort.

It may sound weird, but it makes me happy to see overweight people working out. I know their pain, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they are going through. Everyone has to start somewhere- There are plenty of douchebags out there who may be judgemental, but I promise you that if you're overweight and committed to making a change- you're a stronger person than they are anyway.

Well said! I am glad to see overweight people in the gym also, they have made the decision to change their lives and I wish them all the success in the world!

njdoxie

WKR
I'm tired of being hamstrung in the mountains, and not hunting like I want because I'm worn out. People I elk hunt with leave me in the dust....some work out, some amazingly enough don't....but they all leave me....and I'm tired of bringing up the rear. I've never been fat, just cardio-challenged. It's tough at 5am, I don't care about anything at that hour, but I fight through it....I get stressed if I don't workout.

kickemall

WKR
As a guy who doesn't enjoy working out or running, motivation comes from remembering not being to able to go as far or push as hard as I wanted or needed to. Most everyone has the will to win but few have the will to prepare for what it takes to win. I'm similar to the sports guys that say, "I hate losing more than I enjoy winning". Remembering how it feels to be not in the right shape to go like I wanted is burned in my mind.

Manosteel

WKR
As a guy who doesn't enjoy working out or running, motivation comes from remembering not being to able to go as far or push as hard as I wanted or needed to. Most everyone has the will to win but few have the will to prepare for what it takes to win. I'm similar to the sports guys that say, "I hate losing more than I enjoy winning". Remembering how it feels to be not in the right shape to go like I wanted is burned in my mind.

What he said. I hate working out... but I have been doing it since I was 16 because of sports - then in my mid-20s because I wanted to look good on the beach and then into my 30's because I started hunting the backcountry where motor vehicles can't go or are not allowed and being fat and packing out 100+lbs loads don't mix.

Now in my 40's I workout hard to hunt easy and safely. The fact wife is used to compete in fitness competitions helps :) But the thought of packing out an animal and not be in shape scares me, I have seen friends do it and barely make it and never do it again. For some of the mountain ranges we hunt, being out of shape and packing out an animal is very risky. So now my motivation to hit the weights, jog with the dog and continue to play hockey, is so that I can hunt the backcountry effectively and safely.

working out is a habit for me now, like waking up at 7 am no matter what and thank goodness for this habit because I have an office job and if I didn't workout I would be a fat slob!.

JasonWi

WKR
working out is a habit for me now, like waking up at 7 am no matter what and thank goodness for this habit because I have an office job and if I didn't workout I would be a fat slob!.

I 100% relate to this statement. My job isn't physical enough to keep me in shape. So if I didn't exercise before work 5 days a week I'd still be 50# heavier than I currently am.

Key is love what you do, do what you love - and be able to afford it. Caring, for another, in on form or another, can make even odious, tedious work "lovable."Its more than just exchange of words and positive thinking!! I personally feel that its the power of your emotions and not just words. Hence its an emotional journey..You have to feel intense to have a kick start!! I hope this makes sense..I think a key factor in forming good habits is having interpersonal relationships with people who have the habits you aspire to have for yourself. A simply exchange of words with someone who is positive is sometimes all that is needed to motivate you to go on to go something positive yourself. :)