How do you do it?

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
How do you guys have the ambition to constantly stay on top of working out on a regular basis? I have the most difficult time doing that as I just tend to slack off.

IrishnId

WKR
I hit a local cross fit box on my days at home, but I work 8 on 7 off on the road. I'm in the same boat. My 8 days at work fall apart. No motivation to leave the motel room.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Be realistic with your expectations and realize it's a long term process, not an over night fix. There will be times it's easy and times when it's not. When it's not easy, do what you can and don't get down about missing a couple days. After a while it will become a habit and you will miss the days you can't work out. It also helps to set specific goals and do something you are interested in, at least for me.

rodney482

WKR
Cause if your not in shape you might as well leave your butt in camp where you will be most useful.

Bighorse

WKR
Because I enjoy it. Really, what's not to enjoy about a strong afternoon swim? Or how about getting into the gym and ripping some heavy clean and jerks!
What about bombing up and down a remote backcountry hill just to breath hard and sweat a little? Man! I do this shit for fun. Getting out there and tearing up some country is what I call recreation. I'd just as soon jump in my kayak and paddle out a few miles vs. anything else. Movement is the lube of life. Get some sweet gear and earn some time away from grind of financial procurment and use your body. You'll be old soon enough.

Climber

FNG
I find that if I sign up for a trail race or other athletic event then I definitely have an increased reason for working out. When I feel myself start slacking then I will pick something to focus on: race, big hunting event, etc.... For me, this always increases my motivation. Also, like was said earlier; if you are out of shape, then you will not get to enjoy the hunt as much. Slacking now = worse pain later on.

Jdog

WKR
Because I enjoy it. Really, what's not to enjoy about a strong afternoon swim? Or how about getting into the gym and ripping some heavy clean and jerks!
What about bombing up and down a remote backcountry hill just to breath hard and sweat a little? Man! I do this shit for fun. Getting out there and tearing up some country is what I call recreation. I'd just as soon jump in my kayak and paddle out a few miles vs. anything else. Movement is the lube of life. Get some sweet gear and earn some time away from grind of financial procurment and use your body. You'll be old soon enough.

What he said!

Make it a part of your daily lifestyle.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find a little of what everyone has already posted keeps me at it throughout the year.
Find something you enjoy and can get done on a regular basis whatever it is.
I like to sweat and test myself physically.
Make it part of your day or your lifestyle.
Everyone will have good and bad days, just do the best you can that day and push yourself harder on those days you have extra in the tank.
Find something that does motivate you to want to workout.
Knowing I can get the top of that mountain and have reserves in the tank to then hunt and have fun.
My favorite of what has been posted go to Walmart and see what you dont want to be like hitting the mountains. That was funny:)
It aint easy and if it was everyone would be doing this.
Good luck and have fun....

JWP58

WKR
Every work day, my alarm goes off at 0458. I wake up, get up, and go to work. Its what I've done since jr. high.

Habits die hard, so make working out a habit.

littlebuf

Banned
all year is geared towards a few weeks in the early fall. its in everything i do so its a constant motivation. im in the gym 3 days a week in the winter and for instance right now and likely for the rest of the year i run too and from work to the train station. its three miles a day i could easily get right to work with the transit stations but i choose to come from the bottom of the hill. as long as your doing something its better than doing nothing

OP
wk93

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
The thing I enjoy most is actually taking my Kayak out! But I always tend to stop because I use it for fishing so I always tend to find a spot to fish at

LJ Buck

WKR
The way it makes you feel on a daily basis. The Energy it gives you. And challenging your self on a daily basis is good for ya.

I tell myself if I can make it through the first five minutes I might as well do the whole thing. There are days that doesn't work, but on most they do.

Find something like traintohunt.com where there is no thought needed you just log in and find out what the work out is and go do it. Also if it Is something that is geared towards your end goal it will be easier to stick with it. Plus you can post your results and see others results to keep you motivated to compete/keep up with others. At least for me that works.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
It seems to me the strongest motivational tools for people seem to be in no particular order....it makes them feel better, vanity, fear of being fat (vanity), getting laid (vanity), lower body fat means your penis looks bigger (vanity), accomplishing goals in other sports (mountain hunting etc.), health scares, and in some cases peer pressure. Apparently none of these seem to be of big concern to some....to each their own.

As far as what to do about it, I would suggest becoming part of a community that exercises together. Dare I advise Crossfit as a solution? Yes, but only after the gym has been vetted thoroughly to determine whether or not the coaches are simply turds that paid for the weekend certification and bought a franchise. If they're good to go and they are conscientious of your needs/limitations Crossfit it up!

Dustin