How do you fund your hunting trips?

Lol, I bet! Horses can get super $$$ expensive. My fiance asked about horses and she got chickens, hahaha

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Smart man! Provides food, cheap, no sadness when they die!

Oh and about $20k less on the lifetime expenses!

OP
B

Bljc34

FNG
I just hate how they expect you to complete tasks before they pay you! Isn’t showing up enough for them? Lol

How does everyone get the funds for their hunting trips? Just your normal jobs, side hustles, stock market?
I have been bitten by the out of state hunting bug and need to find a way to justify it to my wife so I can go every year. LOL I think it would be easier to convince her by finding a way to pay for it without cutting into the household funds.
Slanging crack rock on the side and my onlyfans account.

Spray, Fertilize, Seed lawns as a side hustle. Also have access to a skid loader that i will pick up some jobs with. The older i get it seems the time is more valuable and harder to come by than the "cost" of the hunt/trip.

JFK

WKR
Others have said it, but I am very frugal in about 95% of all money decisions so I can do whatever I want for the remaining 5%. Stash some away every month, work some over time, and make sure my wife gets to spend money on things that benefit her so it’s not a one sided deal.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I just have a normal budget for hunting and trips. It goes into my brokerage account (Robinhood) which I use for my fun money. Nothing makes you question a purchase like having to sell stock that is performing to make it happen. Also I can be as aggressive as I want with the money but at the end of the day if the money isn't in the account I'm not going anywhere.............

OP
B

Bljc34

FNG
Time is the problem more than money at this stage in my career. My wife and I are more than fortunate from an earnings standpoint. But it’s tough to take more than 5 consecutive work days off
I’m actually kinda in the same boat. That’s why I’m trying to find a management hunt for mule deer. Just don’t have the time for scouting and learning yet.

z987k

WKR
Another "money" thread that's actually about marriage. I ended up deciding hunting and 100% agency over my expendable income was more important, among other issues solved by choosing single life. No kids in my case, YMMV.
Ha!

I need to start a thread that says I have the money(because I have a professional job no wife and no kids) I need the time to go hunting more!

Squirrels

WKR
Wait, it’s supposed to be even? Stone sheep here I come
It probably won’t be even if you do stone sheep hunt…our wives are probably related. Funny story, in the fall she said she needed some new fall decorations for the house. I asked how much and without hesitation I said go for it. I had a new pistol within the week, when she saw me come in the door with it she said that’s why you didn’t balk at the fall decorations. I winked and headed straight to my man room.

Zappaman

WKR
Live where you hunt. Kansas antler tag: $45 (filled last Wednesday). Doe tags after that: $22 each (up to four). Four deer a year for a bit over $100 and some gas, bullets, primers, and powder. (ok... the rifles cost a LOT more!)

But... I occasionally do the "guided" hunt and I enjoy it more because it's rare (every 3-5 years with the buddies are enjoyed). After hitting 50, packing 120 lbs packs of elk meat got to be "risky" for us all in my crew that's been elk hunting since 1987. But for 30 years, we "knocked them off the mountains" in NM- no horses, no guides... just good old hunting "gumption" got it done.

Hunting isn't about money, it's about choice-- and making one's life work with that choice is the KEY!

Jaker_cc

WKR
It probably won’t be even if you do stone sheep hunt…our wives are probably related. Funny story, in the fall she said she needed some new fall decorations for the house. I asked how much and without hesitation I said go for it. I had a new pistol within the week, when she saw me come in the door with it she said that’s why you didn’t balk at the fall decorations. I winked and headed straight to my man room.

Sounds exactly like my house. Right down to the hunting room where all my gear and guns are kept. She decorates the house like 5 times a year based on the time of year or holiday. It always looks great, but I don’t ask what it costs. I probably don’t want to know either.

Zappaman

WKR
Sounds exactly like my house. Right down to the hunting room where all my gear and guns are kept. She decorates the house like 5 times a year based on the time of year or holiday. It always looks great, but I don’t ask what it costs. I probably don’t want to know either.
Funny you say this... my wife hangs X-mas lights all over my antlers each year. In fact, she had them up during covid (she suddenly had many zoom meetings for work) and my elk rack behind her camera in my office (suddenly "her" office) became quite famous overnight!

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Good replies in this thread, personally I was very frugal in my 20's because I didn't have any hobbies except to read history books from the library (a biography on Teddy Roosevelt actually led me down the path to this hobby). I finally found a hobby that I would happily spend my hard-earned money on, so in a way I think of my frugal 20's as a preparation period when I saved/invested responsibly before my 30's when I splurged on hunting exploits.

Zappaman

WKR
Good replies in this thread, personally I was very frugal in my 20's because I didn't have any hobbies except to read history books from the library (a biography on Teddy Roosevelt actually led me down the path to this hobby). I finally found a hobby that I would happily spend my hard-earned money on, so in a way I think of my frugal 20's as a preparation period when I saved/invested responsibly before my 30's when I splurged on hunting exploits.
You ARE on the right path sir (y)