How do you fund your hunting trips?

Zappaman

WKR
Thanks, I wish I discovered hunting sooner but then I probably wouldn't have saved as much :ROFLMAO:
Just remember the gear can be had for less then a lot of people will often tell you on these forums. Don't get caught up in all the "high dollar" stuff, just read-up and find the (great modern/accurate) "stuff" that works these days. It's all about the practice with "good enough" that works! Good hunting!

z987k

WKR
Live where you hunt.
Pretty much this. For a tank of avgas I can hunt what most people are paying well over $10k to do.
I dont have to save a single penny to go hunt. I pull the gear out, gas up, go.

Save for hunting by working every hour of overtime I can minus the days when a 4-7 day vacation lines up with days off in the summers. look for antlers and be aggressive inhaling money on that front. Pick morels in the spring and go visit a mushroom buyer. In the winter cut back on the amount I spend at the gas station on snacks and drinks that I don’t need (an energy drink and a candy bar or two adds up quick these days).

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Bring my lunch to work about 90% of the time. Think tracking you budget is a real eye opener of money waste, like realizing you spend more money on door dash than actual groceries and more money on gas station food/chew than actual gas. I also have some stocks that I use the dividends for hunting if I need too.

Hac

FNG
I'm an electrician so side jobs and on occasion I pole dance please don't judge me

Attachments

• 20201201_091311.jpg
    20201201_091311.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 34
Slanging crack rock on the side and my onlyfans account.
Wonder if these internet pervs would pay for pics of my feet with hairy toes included . Hahahaha. Freaking weirdos out there. Id do it for a good Western hunt though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Holocene

WKR
When I was a bachelor, I had plenty of money for life, savings, and investments. Whatever I spent on deer hunting in my South Carolina days just came out of my extra pile.

I moved to Oregon a while back and got married. The cost of living here is higher, and I switched careers to work for a fish and wildlife agency. Money is tighter, but I hunt a lot more. How so?

For one, my wife and I started using a computer program called YNAB (it's an acronym for "You Need a Budget") and it really helped with they money conversation. Each month, we each get a set amount of personal money to spend. Most of mine goes toward hunting -- tags, gear, trips. Most of the gas and food I just put under those categories. YNAB is awesome and basically an electronic "envelope" system for budgeting.

For big ticket items that I can fund with YNAB savings, I either sell gear (lots of times on Rokside or Craigslist) or do side work.

Looking ahead, I'd like to start saving more of my money and create a fund for big trips and tag applications out of state.

How does everyone get the funds for their hunting trips? Just your normal jobs, side hustles, stock market?
I have been bitten by the out of state hunting bug and need to find a way to justify it to my wife so I can go every year. LOL I think it would be easier to convince her by finding a way to pay for it without cutting into the household funds.
I’ve worked hard to put myself in a position to hunt when and where I want. That said, I still have some bucket list hunts that will require some saving!

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
I work a construction job that I hate and live as cheap as possible unless it comes to hunting and fishing. Do side jobs here and there, should get easier here in the next couple of months when the better half graduates school and is a nurse so we have 2 incomes.