How do you guys dry your boots in back country?

So last season was a wet one for me. Boots and socks were wet almost every other day. lucky I had some sun in between the heavy rain/snow. But I was wondering how do you guys dry your boots when every thing is soaked?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jbird, I don't have a stove in my tent and if solo I don't usually have a fire. I usually suffer through wet boots. If the weather breaks I sometimes will build a fire to dry them and me out if I make time to do it.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I carry some chemical hand warmers with me, and I will toss them in my boots at night. They won't dry out a water logged boot completely, but it works good on damp boots.

slim9300

WKR
So last season was a wet one for me. Boots and socks were wet almost every other day. lucky I had some sun in between the heavy rain/snow. But I was wondering how do you guys dry your boots when every thing is soaked?

A full roll or 1/2 of paper towels don't weigh very much (7 or 3.5 ounces) and will dry out damp boots better and faster than anything (other than a stove or fire) or drastically shorten the time needed to dry a soaked boot. Plus, the used paper towel can be either burned or dried out in the sun and reused. I used to carry Dry Zone Boot Dryers (23 ounces!) and they worked very well on damp boots but I eventually found paper towels were faster and much more effective on soaked boots. Once I have used a couple towels to soak up the surface moisture in each boot by hand drying the inside, I take a couple more towels and stuff them in each boot to be left over night. By morning my boots are 95% dry, at least to the point that my socks don't get wet.

Last edited:
OP
J
Tanks for the ideas fellas. I'll give the paper towel thing a try. ( a stove isn't in the budget this year)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Usually if I get my boots wet they are wet the entire trip. Just allow for enough time for your feet to "air out"" each night. If its a nice day and all I plan to do is a bunch of glassing then I'll just take off my boots and point the tops into a wind and sun if possible, pull the insoles also is a HUGE help in an effort to make them "less wet. :D " Dry socks at night (a dedicated pair of sleeping socks) is a must for me regardless if my boots end up wet or not.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
If I am at base camp, fire up the wood stove. If not, I just deal with it until I get back to base camp.

sk1

WKR
nice thread.....i was going to ask this question. now at least i know im not the only one suffering through wet boots

clh

FNG
I also use hand warmers and carry a pair of goretex socks.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
A pair of socks works well, (much the same concept as the paper towels). In the evening put on the dry socks and put the boots back on for a bit. The socks will soak up the moisture. If things are real wet you can wring out the socks and repeat the process. Then dry the socks by air dry, fire, ect... Then in the morning put the boots on for a few minutes with dry socks. Once the socks get damp, take the boots off and change into dry socks. Hang the wet socks to dry during the day.

I try not to dry boots by the fire. Good chance of melting a $250+ pair of boots. I dry socks next to the fire.

I also change socks mid day if my feet are wet or sweaty, and put antipersperant on my feet to keep them from sweating. I also bring camp shoes so I can get out of my boots and let things air out. By keeping the skin on my feet from getting damp and soft I prevent blisters.