how do you hang and skin?

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
im amazed at the diiferent ways people hang and skin deer. iv tried several but the way i do it anymore is to hang from back legs on a single tree( redneck for gambrel). then just skin him down. how do you all do it?

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
im amazed at the diiferent ways people hang and skin deer. iv tried several but the way i do it anymore is to hang from back legs on a single tree( redneck for gambrel). then just skin him down. how do you all do it?
Same for me.

I hang from the neck. For me it’s easier and I think the residual blood drains out easier this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
head up and debone from the top down

but I will try that pelvis hook

we have a trough that we lay the deer in that is about waist high to skin down the legs and start peeling around the stomach toward the back. as the deer goes up the hide comes off easy.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I've enjoyed watching the "Bearded Butchers" on YouTube. Amazing how fast these guys break down a deer. Guess that comes from a lot of practice!

Does and "un-mountable" bucks I hang by the neck.

Cut the legs off with a cordless saws-all with a wood blade on it

Cur a ring around the neck and cut right down the spine with a zipper knife to the tail and hook onto it with a 4 wheeler and pull the hide right off.

I can pull a deer hide off in literally 5 minutes tops and that includes pulling the deer out of the truck or buggy and hanging the deer...

I dont know how it could be any easier. Seriously, if it gets easier than this then please let me know. lol Watching people skin deer on YouTube is painful and soooo slow. lol

It takes me 10-15 minutes to 1/4 a deer and get it on ice.

Total operation isn't much more than 20 minutes?

Last edited:

Grundy53

WKR
I hang from the back legs. Head down. Once you cut of the head and cut out the esophagus it drains a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I always skin hanging from the head working down. The past few years We have been doing the golf ball method shown above only doing it in reverse. Hang the deer from the bucket of the tractor and tie the golf ball chain to a 55 gallon drum full of concrete then raise the bucket. It works much better when they are fresh, not as smooth after they hang in the cold for a while.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Like someone else mentioned earlier, I break down most every one of mine in the field. I’m almost always hunting public land, and a ways from the truck. It’s sooo much easier to quarter on out and get him in a backpack and back to the truck, versus dragging it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang from the rear legs and each leg is hung independently so I'm not chasing it around in circles.
I recall reading that the USDA recommends hanging from the rear so the blood drain away from the better cuts.

ChrisAU

WKR
Hang from the rear legs and each leg is hung independently so I'm not chasing it around in circles.
I recall reading that the USDA recommends hanging from the rear so the blood drain away from the better cuts.

We use a gambrel, but then just take a bungee strap from one side of the gambrel to the post/winch. Keeps it from spinning. I would lose my mind chasing one around spinning that is hung by the head.

Jwukie

FNG
Hunting my own property has made me lazy. Hoist em with the tractor, one cut and gravity does most of the work.

56397736b9e213f7e1e4a8749fab533a.jpg