How do you justify sheep hunting?

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks for your reply and that makes sense on popular hunts. Does the deposit normally lock it in at the current rate or does it float and increase to a higher rate later?
Locks in the rate they have for the year you choose. Typically, they will have pricing today for future hunts. Like 2023 is $38000, 2024 is $40,000, 2025 is $42,000, etc. They factor in inflation and you lock in the price. Then there will be a payment schedule along with it. Like 10% down, 30% a year out, 30% maybe 3 months out and final payment at time of hunt, or something like this.

Generally speaking. BUT read the contract carefully for escalators. Very few do anything sneaky, but it does happen, so do your due diligence.

Jeremy

Reactions: BCP

Wapiti1

WKR
My strategy when I graduated college was to keep up the broke college student lifestyle and get out of debt as quickly as possible. I had a decent truck at the time, and got a good job. Then I did two things. I opened an investment account for hunting. And I poured cash into my debt.

At first, I put $50-$100 a month into the investment account. Over time that has increased. I bought a few stocks, and learned about investing. I am hardly good at stock picking, but I've done fine.

I got married and lucked into a wife that was financially sound with a good job, and great saving habits. She is also like me with regard to things. Buy things that are good quality and get the job done, but luxury is overrated. Experiences are worth far more to us. We are debt free, and will keep it that way.

My hunting fund has taken us to Alaska, Africa, Asia, and all over the west. Some of those weren't hunts, but that's fine. It just took us to Alaska again this year to spend two weeks there with my parents seeing the sights, and doing a bit of fishing. And to stay on topic, I have hunted sheep twice and will do so at least once more.

I give the same advice to everyone. Get an account to save in that is hard to get to. Then start at $10 a week. Most people can do that. That's one lunch a week. When you have some cash in there, invest it in something simple. Keep doing that. It's amazing how it will grow, and then you have some fun money. Where folks get sideways is when they only save in one way for everything. Then the house bills take up the spare cash, etc. Spread it out and designate accounts to certain things. Non-essentials don't get as much input as essentials, but that's fine. At some point, you'll get to go on that trip, and probably a few more.

Jeremy

AC Kantor

FNG
My recent hunt in Alaska was less than $20K....but this was a 12 mile hike in hunt. It was amazing and I would never trade this for the world. That being said, It is absolutely important to be fiscally responsible and only do this if you can make it work within the confines of your family financials. I do wish I had done this earlier....As a 53 year old, I understand my time in the Alaska range is fast leaving me which makes me sad.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
The true compromise between not moving to Alaska and “hunting” sheep for no cost is getting hired on as a packer for an outfit. The pay isn’t worth it but the experience surely is. After a few seasons under your belt maybe you’ll even want to guide. For me, it is more satisfying to help others rather than pulling the hook myself.

Another “budget” option is to book a youth hunt for your kid. They’re typically cheaper, you’ll get to hunt sheep without the competition of general season and most importantly you’ll get to hunt with your kid. VERY underutilized, especially by non residents.

Clarktar

WKR
The true compromise between not moving to Alaska and “hunting” sheep for no cost is getting hired on as a packer for an outfit. The pay isn’t worth it but the experience surely is. After a few seasons under your belt maybe you’ll even want to guide. For me, it is more satisfying to help others rather than pulling the hook myself.

Another “budget” option is to book a youth hunt for your kid. They’re typically cheaper, you’ll get to hunt sheep without the competition of general season and most importantly you’ll get to hunt with your kid. VERY underutilized, especially by non residents.
Getting work as a packer ain't easy. I hear it is easier if you are the size of a horse jockey (of which I am not)!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting work as a packer ain't easy. I hear it is easier if you are the size of a horse jockey (of which I am not)!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
You get to hunt sheep for “free” so your arguments are invalid 😂 Betcha a beer most folks could find someone to pack moose for. It’s a foot in the door to the more popular species at the moment.

As for the non resident youth hunt being underutilized, this is because the non resident youth hunter must be accompanied by a resident parent, resident step-parent, or resident legal guardian. I imagine that would be a minuscule number of youth thats qualify in that manner.

radak12

FNG
So I will start by saying I have always dreamed of sheep hunting. I’ve spent time watching sheep. Sneaking up on them for pictures etc. my odds of drawing a tag in my lifetime are nearly 0. Doesn’t stop me from applying every year in several states. The only “sheep” hunt I’ve ever paid for was a $2750 Aoudad hunt in west Texas. It was awesome and very much what I thought it would be. I also did it before it got any pricier. Same hunt with same outfitter is now $5k. Still a relative bargain in the sheep world.

I have often thought of going on a guided sheep hunt. The price of admission keeps me out of it. Could I save for several years and then go? Sure. No way would I consider it responsible. I don’t even own my home technically since I have a mortgage so the 30k would be responsibly put towards that or paying for a new vehicle when mine inevitably dies. My point being I’m really happy for folks that get to do this but how do you justify spending 30k on the cheap end?
I think you’re on the right track. For me, I didn’t book my first sheep hunt until I was debt free. 10 years later, it’s almost become a built-in expense. Keep it up and you’ll get to a point where justification goes away.

Reactions: BCP
Short answer, either be irresponsible, or make enough money to where $30k isn’t as significant of a number as it is to you (and me) right now.

This is a great first response. To me it isn't "responsible" unless you've got plenty of cash or it is an illogical priority.

The hunt is but a short part of it all, its the prep, anticipation and journey that hold so much value. IMO the prep/journey aspect of it is huge for people who aren't used to doing backpack mountain hunts. For people who already do and have their poop figured out, a guided thinhorn hunt isn't that much of a journey. Once you get there you just have to be a competent shot, have a shred of hunting IQ, be in decent shape, and not be a pussy about living off your back for a little while. The guide does the rest so mental aspect of making good decisions and being penalized/rewarded for them is gone. You'd probably get all of the "experience and adventure" or more for less than half the dough on a goat hunt but people want a sheep on their wall a lot more than they want a goat.

I did a Dall hunt in 2019 that i booked in 2017 with some of the proceeds of a lucky crypto currency investment. I was single at the time and my justification was enjoying some proceeds and doing something that I'd have a hell of a time justifying to a future family. I had a great hunt in some awesome country with a fun guide. Got a sheep that is better than I hoped for. That said, I don't think the hunt was any more of an adventure or experience than a goat or artic griz hunt would have been for way less $. I say this all because we should be honest with ourselves about our motivations - was it worth it to have a nice sheep on the wall and say I have hunted sheep? I'd say no based on today's prices but @ 2017 prices I'd say yes because that hunt is now nearly double the cost I paid so I got it done before it became unjustifiable for me.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
One of the things I hear on a regular basis is that X group of financial classes is priced out of hunts. This has been a thing since the late 1880's when the first guided hunts by European Gentry were taking place in Alaska, Canada and the Western USA.

If it is important to you, and you want to do it go. If you think it will financially impact you, and you are married find another priority.

You have to be a Dad first.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Both years 71' and 72' my hunting partner and I Chartered a flight out of Bettles. AK. to the upper Noatak River, near where the Ambler River flows in. We would drive his truck to Fairbanks on the "unfinished" Parks Hwy. (fuel was cheap) Catch a commercial flight Fairbanks to Bettles, sleep free in a very old tin bunkhouse. Fly out the next morning to the Noatak, and hunt for five or six weeks, never seeing one human the whole time.

Harvested wolves (two each) Dall Sheep, Grizzly Bears (one is in the Anchorage International Airport). Caribou. We watched packs of wolves over 50 in number, watched them pull down several sheep per event, watched two wolves pull down five sheep in 20 to 25 second total. Shockingly fast, they would disable each in a split second, then disable the next, till they were all flopping on the ground, then they would go around and kill each sheep.
Total cost of each year was $700.00 to $800.00 that was total for both of us. Roughly $365.00 $400.00 each. And we could sell the green wolf pelts for $125 to $170.00 (depending on the color).

Last edited:
Short answer, either be irresponsible, or make enough money to where $30k isn’t as significant of a number as it is to you (and me) right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

If you have a mortgage or kids who need to go to college yet, it is a selfish and irresponsible expenditure IMO. Nobody will care that you killed that sheep when you die. Literally Nobody. Except maybe your wife and kids if they are stuck paying bills.

I know a guy who just got back from a sheep hunt in Canada. Total status symbol for him and nothing else. Keeping up with the Joneses for rich folk who hunt.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of dreamy responses in here. Some of the biggest draws for me are sharing experiences with others, especially if it were to be family. Would make a high number much more tangible IMHO.

I’m going to be heading to NWT after a Dall in likely ‘25. Saving up now and starting my research into outfitters.

My justification-I’ve watched my Dad bust his @ss selling & moving tires 5/6 days a week & 8-10 hours a day, all the while wishing that he could go on an elk hunt, or a remote float trip in Alaska for trout.

He’s worked his tail off and is no closer to going than I am landing a starting DE spot for the Raiders.

What is the point of working your whole entire life away to *hopefully* enjoy a decade of retirement while you still have some semblance of health left???

I don’t understand that thinking at all, just makes no sense whatsoever.

I have a priority to enjoy my life, and my wife knows that these types of hunts are something that I need. It cleanses my soul, and gives me something to work for/towards.

I don’t see it as a justification at all-to me it’s an ultimate reward and an opportunity to take in all of Gods glory all in one.

YMMV

This.

If you have a mortgage or kids who need to go to college yet, it is a selfish and irresponsible expenditure IMO. Nobody will care that you killed that sheep when you die. Literally Nobody. Except maybe your wife and kids if they are stuck paying bills.

I know a guy who just got back from a sheep hunt in Canada. Total status symbol for him and nothing else. Keeping up with the Joneses for rich folk who hunt.

I’d have to disagree especially regarding the mortgage aspect. You get no prizes for not having a mortgage, and still have to pay property tax in perpetuity.

If someone is going sheep hunting to look cool on IG, or to keep up with the joneses then yes that’s stupid.

I know as a fact my wife will be just SLIGHTLY less excited that I am when I board that plane to head N to chase after sheep.

Of all the old farts I’ve spoken with, all of their regrets in life have come from things they DIDN'T do, vs things they did.

If sheep hunting isn’t a dream then folks won’t make it happen

schmalzy

WKR
This.

So am I good if i plan on pushing my kids into the trades or pulling a hitch with Uncle Sam? Or if college is a route that makes sense, I should wait til they’ve gone to college (or I’ve atleast saved up for the cost?)

That would have put me at about 48 for my first. I respect guys that choose to do this, but it ain’t for me. Never know when you’re ticket gets punched, when sheep opportunities get restricted, or when life just simply gets in the way. I’m not saying put yourself in a bad situation financially or spend your kids college fund on a hunt, but don’t be surprised if that hunt never happens if you wait til the kids are out of college and your mortgage paid off.

Slightly tongue in cheek, and I think I get your intent Of make sure your personal financial goals and needs are being met, but you’re painting with an awful broad brush.

So am I good if i plan on pushing my kids into the trades or pulling a hitch with Uncle Sam? Or if college is a route that makes sense, I should wait til they’ve gone to college (or I’ve atleast saved up for the cost?)

That would have put me at about 48 for my first. I respect guys that choose to do this, but it ain’t for me. Never know when you’re ticket gets punched, when sheep opportunities get restricted, or when life just simply gets in the way. I’m not saying put yourself in a bad situation financially or spend your kids college fund on a hunt, but don’t be surprised if that hunt never happens if you wait til the kids are out of college and your mortgage paid off.

Slightly tongue in cheek, and I think I get your intent Of make sure your personal financial goals and needs are being met, but you’re painting with an awful broad brush.

College is an overrated waste of $ if you aren’t going to be a doctor/lawyer/specific type of engineer (imo).

I did a semester @ a community college (learned how to drink beer more efficiently) then gave up and just went to work.

Every single person in my position in the company I work for has some sort of advanced degree with all the debt that comes with it-and I kick their @ss because I know what hard work is (thank you Dad & GPA).

I never understood funding your childrens post high school education. Give them a good life and instill a work ethic-the rest will work itself out