How do you leave your truck when backpacking?

Mikido

WKR
Besides covering exposed items.....do you lock/unlock? Leave mobile/in reach contact? Leave general area or timeline of your hunt? How about places you avoid parking? Should I worry about having out of state plates? Specificially multi-day/week.

Any experiences is appreciated.

mwebs

WKR
Usually cover the stuff under the topper with a tarp, keep everything neat, nothing really in the cab. All the expensive stuff is with us. Met a dude from Cal that took his licenses off his truck, probably not the worst idea when your in ID haha.

Locked, only thing of value in the truck is my sunglasses. Some of the trailheads we head in from require you to fill out a slip and put in a locked box with your itinerary.

I've never had a problem in 5 different states having NR plates.
Have a topper shell with a full length shelf that is level with the top of the truck bed rails. Anything that gets left at the truck goes underneath that shelf. (Coolers, etc.) Nothing is left in view. Out of sight out of mind.
It would be hell to try and pry up the shelf and get anything out without being able to unlock the tailgate.

It helps when you drive a truck that is 10+ years old too. lol
Makes it look like there is no way you'd have anything worth stealing.

FLAK

WKR
No lie, I once had a Idaho game warden give me hell about UTAH plates (rental car). Esp., when I handed her a FLORIDA drivers license.
When she asked me where I was from I said Alabama.
Asked me why I was trying to avoid a hunters check point.
Told her I hadnt hunted yet. I was on my way TO the woods.
Thought her head was gonna explode.
This was just south of Hailey @ that intersection with the rest stop.

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
I try not to leave anything in my truck while I’m hunting. Normally people who drive out to hunt or hike will leave your truck alone but better safe than sorry.

Last year when driving home from a hunt I had about $2000 worth of gear stollen while I was at rest stop in Oregon. I was only away from the truck for about two minutes. I was pissed (still am) but at least they didn’t take the elk meat in my cooler.

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
I try not to leave anything in my truck while I’m hunting. Normally people who drive out to hunt or hike will leave your truck alone but better safe than sorry.

Last year when driving home from a hunt I had about $2000 worth of gear stollen while I was at rest stop in Oregon. I was only away from the truck for about two minutes. I was pissed (still am) but at least they didn’t take the elk meat in my cooler.
Left it unlocked?

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Locked with camper locked. I try to leave a key somewhere on the frame. I also have a spare hidden in truck. I have my key code for the door sharpied on my backpack as well as my name and blood type.

Finch

WKR
4 trips to CO as a NR and no issues. Have actually had notes left on the windshield with an apology from a guy for trying to lead us on to non existent elk. He thought we were muley hunting too and didn't want us near him. I guess he felt bad and left the note to apologize.

I'd like to think other hunters are part of the "brotherhood" but some are the biggest POS's I know.

If I’m backpacking, I make sure everyone in the group knows that the truck will be left empty when we leave the trailhead so as not to tempt anyone.

When hunting, there is obviously more stuff. I prefer to keep as much as possible in coolers labeled “Ice Only: Do Not Open”.

timr00ger

FNG
Nothing but the cooler. Cab locked and cooler covered with a tarp or blanket.
Then I freak out about bear break ins haha.

Mosby

WKR
I am working on truck and trailer security this year. Someone cut the locks off my hunting trailer a few months ago sitting outside my son's house in Kansas City. Fortunately, I had it up there to get my lawn mower repaired and not hunting. I did have an Orca cooler in it but they didn't take it. Only cost me a couple of locks but it was a good reminder of what we have to deal with. I am working on a better system of locks and lockable storage containers for both. My trailer sits out a lot at our base camp and although we keep it empty except for coolers I am always worried someone is going to simply take the trailer. Gives me something to do with all this covid crap going on.