How do you leave your truck when backpacking?

Voyageur

WKR
As others have said, locked and everything left in the truck out of sight. All group members know where my keys and the extra keys are located. Triple check to make sure no dome lights have been left on. My NOCO battery booster is under the seat just in case.
I also make sure I'm not parked underneath or in the fell path of any doubtful looking trees.

Older truck. Locked. Nothing of value visible.

Quite the opposite. I have a dummy kitchen garbage bag full of mocked up trash that I scatter about on the dash, seats and floor making it look like it’s a homeless guy’s vehicle.

Crumpled and stained fast food cups and wrappers and garbage. The piece de resistance is the collection of dried and wrinkled condoms that are scattered amongst the mix as further disincentive.

It only takes a few minutes to stuff it back in the garbage bag when I return to the truck.

I’ve been broken into at trailheads, but not since I’ve gone with “Dirtbag Camo”.

Typically through the driver's side door followed by locking it.

In all seriousness, I don't do anything special. Try not to leave anything that will clue anyone in to the fact that I'm hunting. I don't have any hunting or outdoor related stickers or anything on my windows.

Maki35

WKR
Back in the old days I would leave the truck unlock. but not now-a-days.
Times have changed. In my neck of the woods I feel there are too many wandering eyes that wants to steal something. I locked the truck I keep my things out of plan sight. Neighbors has had there vehicle broken into just for the spare change on the console or the sunglasses .

However a friend still leaves his truck unlocked when ever he goes hunting. But there's trash everywhere inside his truck.. empty coffee cups & soda cans every where, crumpled-up paper bags, McD sandwich wrappers and his junk mail thrown all over the place, a coating of dirt/dust on the dashboard. Not likely a target for thieves. lol

Last edited:

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I lock up and hide anything of value. As much as I want to believe people are good, that is just not the case all of the time. Never been broken in while hunting. When out fishing is a completely different story. (Lake Fork) lol

WCB

WKR
same as most locked everything out of sight. No idea what in my truck would be of high value that wouldn't be on me. Try not to have 400 stickers of all the cool hunting gear you buy on your truck or trailer. Have had very few friends with unmarked decoy or work trailers broken into. Others that have had decoy and call company stickers or business names....guess what....they get broken into or stolen.

NB7

WKR
Older truck. Locked. Nothing of value visible.

Quite the opposite. I have a dummy kitchen garbage bag full of mocked up trash that I scatter about on the dash, seats and floor making it look like it’s a homeless guy’s vehicle.

Crumpled and stained fast food cups and wrappers and garbage. The piece de resistance is the collection of dried and wrinkled condoms that are scattered amongst the mix as further disincentive.

It only takes a few minutes to stuff it back in the garbage bag when I return to the truck.

I’ve been broken into at trailheads, but not since I’ve gone with “Dirtbag Camo”.
This is great! Reminds me of when I was doing undercover buys. Used an old POS truck that I completely cluttered with all sorts of nasty trash. It was used as a deterrent to keep some low level dealers from wanting to pull some kind of BS of getting in the vehicle with me and "ride around the block" or other crap. With a dashboard and a front seat FULL of nasty appearing garbage it worked every time. Never thought of the condoms though, give you props for that one!!
Hiding in plain sight

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
If I leave a gun case in the truck it is in plain view and open so that no one thinks there is a rifle in it.

r2searle

FNG
I’ve never seen so many “un registered” trucks running around the woods as I have this year.
Usually cover the stuff under the topper with a tarp, keep everything neat, nothing really in the cab. All the expensive stuff is with us. Met a dude from Cal that took his licenses off his truck, probably not the worst idea when your in ID haha

I leave all my glove boxes and center storage wide open and anything of value I normally lock under my sled deck in a lock box out of sight.

Hunthigh1

WKR
I’ve always got a backup firearm and shotgun for grouse that gets left in the rig. I also have first aid, coolers, stove, vehicle recovery gear, extra Clean clothing and dry boots. Sometimes I leave my spotter in the truck if I’m elk hunting, a few days worth of food, and a small tool bag. My vehicle acts as my safety net. I can’t imagine heading into a backcountry spot without those items in the rig. I view it as a safety/self reliance thing.

I drive a rusted out 30 year old pickup with a canopy.

you many have a renters insurance Plan that will cover items stolen from your car. I’ve never had an issue. I like to think potential thief’s see my beater rig and think “This is the kinda guy that would hunt me down” hahaha