How do you leave your truck when backpacking?

Is there any concern that a game warden or law enforcement might consider the truck abandoned, because it had no plates, and have it towed?
I take the plates off because I've been messed with because I had out of state plates. People think that just because they live there that they own the sate. Game cams will tell me who has the car.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
For everyone who takes the plates off, is that legal and/or a good idea? When people see vehicles without plates often they think they are stolen or abandoned. Maybe not if you are at a trail head.

mwebs

WKR
It’s also easy to assume your from out of state if you remove your plates.. Also in ID your required to have a front license plate so I also know people without that displayed are non res. It’s ridiculous that people would mess with a vehicle for that reason though..

boom

WKR
last few times i have gone to the same area. the best thing, a friend knew the pack-station owner and he allowed us to park on the ranch.

super fun coming out of the mountains looking like Feral mountain men. stinky, frazzled, wild-eyed, skinny..to come around the corner to see some fresh ladies getting fitted with horses. its a good time.

TomJoad

WKR
Never worried about this summer backpacking, fall hunting, winter backcountry skiing/touring. Lock and go. I always make sure I'm pulled well off the road in an easy to see spot that doesn't make it a challenge for people to pass as I'm usually on tiny 4x4 access roads. Like @Hunthigh1 my vehicle is an important backup of redundant gear and emergency supply. I travel light in the backcountry and if I have an issue it's nice to know I have a back-up... even if it's a 9 mile trip in the wrong direction 😂

I'd never remove my plates, I want the forest service to be able to quickly ID my vehicle in the event of an emergency and I wouldn't want anyone assuming my vehicle is abandoned.

I find most people who recreate in the deep backcountry to be generally respectful and trying to do the right thing. I've run across the occasional A-hole who isn't cleaning up after themselves but generally find people to be decent. If something happens something happens, that's what insurance is for.

Squamch

WKR
I drive either a 92 4runner or an 01 f350. Either one is packed with tools, recovery gear, chainsaw, tire chains, survival gear, extra food, dry clothes, etc.

I lay an open rifle case across the front seats, with an empty box of ammo on it. Then I lock the truck and walk away.

I also am usually far enough away from normal vehicle traffic to not be concerned.

I figured I’d revive this thread since hunting season is only but a couple months away.

I bought a Decked Storage System with locking drawers to keep thieves out. I also have a truck topper as well. IF someone was to break into the bed of the truck from busting out the topper windows the decked system is pretty solid.

I also plan on leaving ice chests that are daisy chained with 10mm diameter chain that runs up into the Decked system. So they can’t be pulled out as easily.

I figured I’d revive this thread since hunting season is only but a couple months away.

I bought a Decked Storage System with locking drawers to keep thieves out. I also have a truck topper as well. IF someone was to break into the bed of the truck from busting out the topper windows the decked system is pretty solid.

I also plan on leaving ice chests that are daisy chained with 10mm diameter chain that runs up into the Decked system. So they can’t be pulled out as easily.
Ive had my eye on that decked system. Thinking about making something similar that is more easily removable.

I also have a catalytic converter cover bolted on. Can’t be too safe in today’s world. Some meth head and a sawzal can easily remove a cat converter.

Attachments

• E12DD512-0E4A-4C7B-84DF-5F773798876E.jpeg
    E12DD512-0E4A-4C7B-84DF-5F773798876E.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
My jeep can be opened with zippers so nothing gets left in it. If anything does get left it goes in a waterproof duffle and stashed in the thick woods. Game cam on vehicle as well.

Wrench

WKR
I just park facing downhill incase the battery is dead and fold my rigle or bow case so they know its empty.

Neighbor camp last year left a atv at a trailhead for 3 weeks incase they scrubbed too much elevation and needed to hike out the bottom.

Sounds like some guys are hunting in the ghetto.

I have a camper shell and drawer system in my bed. If the area allows, I like to back my truck up so the bed is right facing a tree trunks, blocking access.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Locked of course. Using a locked drawer system in the bed that anything of value goes in to. like a few others have said, I leave a game cam in the truck at all times just in case.