How do you leave your truck when backpacking?

Use a cell phone trail camera, instant picturew
Depending on the game warden, this may be a big negative today in AZ and come January, you cannot have any trail cameras.

According to many folks on this site, cameras are a major no no as it violates the concept of fair chase. By using an unmanned camera, you are violating the concept of fair chase by using captured images of the criminal to gain an unfair advantage in identifying them and possibly their vehicle. /sarcasm off

I tend to cover everything I can with a tarp or blanket, except the rifle cases. They are on top of everything and left wide open so everyone can see they are empty. If I have a long round trip for meat the rifle will be hidden under everything with the open case in plain site. I take the bolt with me.

gelton

WKR
If someone wants something, they are going to get it. Period. End of story.

I have a topper that's tinted and locked but that's only going to keep honest people honest.

That being said, we often have a basecamp that could also be looted, and don't forget that if you backpack in there is still the opportunity for someone to steal your stuff there.

The only thing any of us have is our faith in humanity, and that sometimes fails us too. Luckily, I have never had an issue.

Depending on the game warden, this may be a big negative today in AZ and come January, you cannot have any trail cameras.

The rule says trail cams are illegal “for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife or locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.” Unless the land agency (e.g. FS, BLM) bans cameras the G&F doesn’t have the authority to restrict cams for non-hunting purposes

If it’s pointed right at your truck and not a tank or game trail the warden is going to have tough time defending that one. I’ll be setting my otherwise (soon to be) useless cams over my truck next year

Last edited:

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I try not to leave anything in my truck while I’m hunting. Normally people who drive out to hunt or hike will leave your truck alone but better safe than sorry.

Last year when driving home from a hunt I had about $2000 worth of gear stollen while I was at rest stop in Oregon. I was only away from the truck for about two minutes. I was pissed (still am) but at least they didn’t take the elk meat in my cooler.
Which rest area was that?

jhm2023

WKR
In my experience and things I've seen when working , I can say no amount of locks will keep an determined Dbag away from your stuff. Ive even seen meth heads rip a hole in a metal garage door to get into a house. Your best bet is to make your vehicle look very uninteresting to local and traveling turds. I know for me personally here in Alaska if I intend to hike from a highway that connects highway villages or other unsavory rural communities to larger population areas that are used for general shopping and drug getting, then I either have someone drop me off or stash my truck so deep in the brush it's near impossible to find. I keep my stuff locked up, no valuables inside and even not so valuable things hidden and out of plain sight. Had some local Walter White wannabes break out windows just to steal the battery. That really sucked after 10 days in the field and actually had some meat go bad due to being stranded for a couple extra days in early August.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Since we're talking about thieving turds....have you fellas out west had an uprising in catalytic converters being cut off at trailheads/parking areas? Here in the south it has gotten ridiculous in the last year. Boat ramps, hidden fishing holes, public hunting parking have been hammered in my area.

Button

WKR
Locked.
When I camp/fish on the beach in south Texas or Big Bend I leave some water and canned food out so illegals don’t rummage through my coolers or truck while I’m out fishing/walking/hiking or sleeping.

The rule says trail cams are illegal “for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife or locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.” Unless the land agency (e.g. FS, BLM) bans cameras the G&F doesn’t have the authority to restrict cams for non-hunting purposes

If it’s pointed right at your truck and not a tank or game trail the warden is going to have tough time defending that one. I’ll be setting my otherwise (soon to be) useless cams over my truck next year
And it takes just one animal of any legal species to walk or fly through camp and a game warden that is not in a good mood.
It is a poorly written regulation which is why I had previously stated that I will not run any cameras until several of these have gone through the court system.

I don't have a topper on my truck, so the only thing in the bed of the truck is my cooler with ice and some gatorade in it. I've started leaving the cooler locked with cables to the truck, but unlocked so that it can be opened. I leave a 6 pack of cheap beer in it. I figure if some teens or whomever is looking for a quick score decide to steal the beer, they may take that as a win and leave the windows of the truck intact.
After having my loaded Kifaru pack stolen last November (through a window they broke), I don't leave ANYTHING worth stealing in the truck if I can help it.

Antares

WKR
I'm lucky to be in a different situation. I'm way more concerned with people figuring out my spots than I am with people stealing my stuff. I like to park at a pullout about a 1/4 mile from where I plan on heading in and preferably on the opposite side of the road. I consider walking the shoulder my warm up and cool down.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
No mater the steps you take to limit the possibility of your truck being broken into, just remember, locks, only keep honest people honest.

miggy

FNG
I put any and all valuable inside the cab and lock it, anything that I can't do that with is chained to the truck. Had some scum bags steal everything I left in the bed this spring while bear hunting, they even unbolted my LED light bars from my back bumper. Worst part was we rode dirt bikes and they took the straps too. I'll probably be setting up trail cams too.

CoStick

WKR
I just leave it with no valuables in sight and don’t worry about it. I have insurance.