How do you pack your gear?

OR Archer

WKR
So do any of you pack your gear a certain way in your pack to make it carry better and be more comfortable? Or is it stuff it all in the empty spaces until it all fits approach?

Just starting to put a lot more thought into the way I am approaching my next years hunts and trying to look at the little things more.

It depends on your backpack to a point. I have a zipper across the back of mine for access about 1/3 the way up. I pack my sleeping bag, puffy suit and rain gear all down in the bottom of the pack and it can be reached through that access. Food and stove go above that then all my camp junk. I have a kangaroo pocket on the back that holds my spotter and tripod. The lid holds my kill kit and some first aid stuff along with a few snacks.

If you have a top opening "1 big sack" type bag then you will need to rearrange it so you can get to things like your rain gear right at the top. Lots of guys love that type of pack but after owning one I decided it wasn't for me.

swat8888

WKR
My pack is mostly about accessibility and knowing where all my crap is. I keep my bag, clothing and tent on the bottom, then keep my heavy stuff against my back (food bags) and then toss my rain gear and SATPHONE up top so they are accessible. Little crap like game bags stays buried in my water sleeve (DT1) bag. Water bladder goes in outer left sleeve and spotter/tripod on the right....balances out okay, still tends to lean towards the left with a full bladder.

light stuff on the bottom, heavy in the middle, then pack around it and make it somewhat even. Aron has a video in the video forum about how to pack it. Its under the gear for the hunt title