How do you pack your tent?

I have an MSR Hubba NX1 and I am having a hard time figuring out the best way possible to pack the tent in my MR Metcalf?!

Do you guys just strap the tent to the outside or how are you packing your tents?

I am also looking to buy a Kifaru Duplex frame, if ya know someone ;)

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I put the tent poles on the side of my pack (straps and bottom side pouch). The rest goes on bottom of main bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
I put the tent poles on the side of my pack (straps and bottom side pouch). The rest goes on bottom of main bag.

This^^ except tent goes on top. First thing out, last thing packed when Im out in the woods.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I' the same as Backyard and GQ. Break it down and split up the poles and stakes for balance, and put the tent and fly inside the bag on top of everything else.

I carry it in vertical orientation, in my main bag.

Same, and works for me.
I try to minimize the amount of gear strapped to the outside of my pack; really just my rifle and collapsed trekking poles go on the outside. I don’t have balance or awkward space issues in the bag doing this.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I also carry mine vertical inside my MR metcalf on the side opposite of the side zipper so I can get to other things quickly if needed. Only things I carry on the outside of my pack is trekking poles and sometimes bow or rifle.

slick

WKR
I don’t roll it up and put it in its stuff sack. That sack makes it an awkward shape.

I’ll fold it into a flat square/rectangle... as two separate pieces if using a double wall shelter or just one semi uniform square if using a tipi/tarp.

I’ll then stuff that into my bag last, typically, as it fills space better and is accessible.

Poles go vertical up against the frame inside the bag.

I loose stuff into my empty pack in this order, first being on the bottom
Quilt
Pad/pillow
Tent/pegs
Ground cloth
Everything else goes on top

Fills the pack evenly/compresses well and the items toward the top are the first things I need to pull while making camp. Put your poles in vertical or on the outside or between the bag and frame. I use a trekking pole tent so I don’t have that issue. If it looks like rain I will use a large trash bag as a liner

i stuff 1P tent inside compression bag and poles outside with tripod... i use a external frame pack with a big 60L stuff sack strapped to it so not sure of size of your pack