How do you prevent altitude sickness?

You can hear different figures, but probably around 20% of individuals will have some mild but very bothersome altitude problems. I was one of those individuals.

I am also a veterinarian, and by nature, a skeptic on herbal supplements. But there is some anecdotal evidence that Ginko, Gensing, and Vitamin C may help with the MILD forms of altitude issues. So I tried Altitude adjustment somewhat skeptically, and it worked for me and my wife, and every friend I have recommended it to. I have yet to have anyone I know try it where it didn't help.

I won't cost you much to try supplements like Altitude adjustment, or the one put out by wilderness althelte. But as stated, Diamox is the king and if you want to be sure, see your doctor.

But you will pee more frequently, probably have some tingling of fingers and maybe toes, and wont' be able to drink any carbonated beverages while on it. If that doesn't bother you, get Diamox. It should work well. But if you are like me, you might try Altitude adjustment or the one put out by Wilderness products somewhat skeptically and see if it works for you.

If you are in the 1% that has SERIOUS problems with altitude, then these supplements won't help you.

johnvan74

FNG
A chiropractor friend of mine suggested a little nip of alcohol in the morning. Whenever heading to the Mountains, I always bring a flask of Bourbon with. I will have it when I head to ID for elk this fall, actually I will have an entire bottle.

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advise here, and will summarize what works best for me. Altitude sickness is a group of general symptoms arising from exercise at higher elevations before the body acclimates. For me, I am turning 53 in June, live in an eastern state at about 1,000 feet in elevation, have elk hunted religiously since 1991 and the altitude change ALWAYS bothers me when I arrive. I believe it impacts people quite differently. I am in very good shape for my age and am never over wight for my frame and height. But, the altitude has impacted me more than guys that are really over weight and should probably not be elk hunting. But once I acclimate it is a different game.

For me the most import things to do are:

1. Drink water until it flows out your ears (as another wrote) for about a week before you head out west;
2. Arrive at least one day ahead of time to just hang out at a lower elevation than where you will be hunting;
3. My wife is a pharmacist and told me years ago to take a decongestant (Sudafed) starting the day before you arrive and continuing for about 3 days. I can’t explain the medical reasons why this helps, but for me it helps a lot.
4. For me, Propel seems to work best for the hydration.
5. For me, the worst “symptom” is always headaches and feeling like crap.
6. I will end by saying if you have not been out west hunting at elevation before, it takes you longer to recover and catch your breath. When this happens to you the first time, be reminded this is normal and you will catch your breath it just takes longer. I had a friend who was in great shape go into a serious panic attack on me the first day hunting when I took him on a trip. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I did a hunt in Colorado at 8500 ft. We got out there 3 days early. By the end of the hunt I was still sucking wind while walking up any incline. I never got sick or a headache but breathing was tough. More recently in was in Wyoming and got there a week early to fish. The breathing wasn't as bad. Maybe I just lucked out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sdieffen

FNG
There are several excellent posts here, and I'll just add that hypoxia impacts every one differently. When I was a kid we lived in Peru. We'd drive our trusty F350 across the Ticlio Pass(15800ft) and camp between 12-14k and trout fish. First time I puked my guts out until we descended. My parents were clueless to the symptoms. So I respect the mountain and do everything in my power to be in shape having that experience. There's some literature that says too many electrolytes make the symptoms worse. YOU have to figure out what works for you. May not work for your buddy.
I try to just spend some time splitting wood and fish the first few days. Early on I'd jump right into hunting at 12k. We camp at 10k. It's just better to ease into it.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Being from MN, I never have had to deal with the mountains before. Ill be heading out west in Sept to hunt elk, and ill be pre-scouting some areas at the end of June. Any tips on how to get ready for the elevation difference? Any ways to fight it off
How did you do with the altitude? What advice would you give now that you have experience?

How did your elk hunt go?

ChrisAU

WKR
After 3 trips to CO for this flatlander I'd say the best thing we've done is spent a night in a comfy motel/hotel around 7500' before heading into the backcountry. We camp right at 10k and hunt up to 11.5k and have not had an issue with altitude yet.