Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Back tension pull and accept the float. Bow fires by surprise

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Accept the float and just squeeze when pin looks good

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

G Posik

WKR
With back tension! I shoot traditional gear, but you can shoot back tension with compound as well. If compound shooter it will make you a better (More consistent) shot.

Glenn

I have struggled with this question for years. I have owned a Carter back-tension release and even hunted with it. I prefer a Scott caliper now, old habits... I shot competitively with rifles for years and while shooting offhand you get rid of it when the front sight post is on target. If you slowly squeeze to get a surprise you will get your a$$ handed to you by the guy that squeezes when in the bullseye. I tried this logic with archery and can shoot very well. I think that there is a very fine line between back tension and getting the shot off. There is a whole lot of ink regarding back tension, so before you tear me a new one, don't think that I don't respect it and believe it works for a lot of people. Granted, I am sure that the pros don't follow in my logic.

a3dhunter

WKR
Grip it and rip it!
I've struggled with mild trigger punch the last year, I try to use back tension and squeeze through the shot but find that most of the time I just squeeze the trigger when it looks good.
I've switched releases to try to help, but I like to stick with an index finger release for hunting so I won't use a different style otherwise.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Controlled punch.:)

For me, that pin had better be where I want it when I release. It is a conscious controlled trigger pull on every single shot I take. Don't seem to have any issues with accuracy or that other dreaded thing that plagues some that I won't even mention.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a puncher but had battles with target panic and now I'll switch it up with a thumb release in the off season

interesting poll results... nearly 50% of people responding ADMIT to shooting incorrectly... I would have assumed more people would have at least lied a bit and claimed they did it right hahaha. Though my guess is that the people that answered with the 3rd option are most likely actually doing option 1 as well.

Joe

wapitibob

WKR
If people would spend more time talking to the guys with silver bowls and big cardboard checks, the "right way" turns out to be whatever works for you. Which is why winners don't post on AT anymore. They tend to get tired of hacks that shoot a 530 field round or a 295 Vegas telling them they're doing it all wrong.
As Levi told a friend recently, "there is no way in hell that thing is going off if it's not in the dot"; Jesse relaxes his hand, a friend of mine who just won nationals is now a puller (he used to rotate and aim), and both Gillingham and Crowe have made over 100K/year pulling the trigger when they're in the dot. In 40 years of target shooting with some who were/are the best in the world, none come to full draw then start squeezing their shoulder blades together. Never ever heard that one except on AT.
The biggest factor in being able to shoot well, repeatedly, is having a brain that gets out of the way. Type 1 guys are at a big disadvantage.

If people would spend more time talking to the guys with silver bowls and big cardboard checks, the "right way" turns out to be whatever works for you. Which is why winners don't post on AT anymore. They tend to get tired of hacks that shoot a 530 field round or a 295 Vegas telling them they're doing it all wrong.
As Levi told a friend recently, "there is no way in hell that thing is going off if it's not in the dot"; Jesse relaxes his hand, a friend of mine who just won nationals is now a puller (he used to rotate and aim), and both Gillingham and Crowe have made over 100K/year pulling the trigger when they're in the dot. In 40 years of target shooting with some who were/are the best in the world, none come to full draw then start squeezing their shoulder blades together. Never ever heard that one except on AT.
The biggest factor in being able to shoot well, repeatedly, is having a brain that gets out of the way. Type 1 guys are at a big disadvantage.

I agree.... but I would be willing to bet that ZERO of the guys with bowls and checks would ever choose number 1.... there may not be a right way to shoot, but I feel that there is certainly a wrong way. Assuming you want long term, repeatable accuracy anyway.

Joe

interesting poll results... nearly 50% of people responding ADMIT to shooting incorrectly... I would have assumed more people would have at least lied a bit and claimed they did it right hahaha. Though my guess is that the people that answered with the 3rd option are most likely actually doing option 1 as well.

Joe

i think it is funny that you call it shooting incorrectly. there are many schools of thought and back tension is not always correct. some people practice back tension but dont implore the fundamentals during hunting situations. some people trick themselves into thinking they are shooting back tension when they are not. and most will never aspire to be a champion so they do what works.

i try as much as i can to use and practice back tension, but for me its more of a competition practice and to concrete my form. in hunting situations i can honestly say ive never had a suprise release. and ive harvested plenty of game. there are situations were i dont feel comfertable about doing it. extreme downhill shots i have trouble doing it. there are times where i need the arrow to go off in a moment or fit it into a window when the animal enters it,and with true suprise release to me thats not possible.

wapitibob

WKR
I shot Redding twice with Gillingham. His sight picture is his "clicker". When the dot hits his mark, it's gone, but he's the exception. Crowe uses a controlled squeeze, pretty much like a rifle on the bench.

i think it is funny that you call it shooting incorrectly. there are many schools of thought and back tension is not always correct. some people practice back tension but dont implore the fundamentals during hunting situations. some people trick themselves into thinking they are shooting back tension when they are not. and most will never aspire to be a champion so they do what works.

i try as much as i can to use and practice back tension, but for me its more of a competition practice and to concrete my form. in hunting situations i can honestly say ive never had a suprise release. and ive harvested plenty of game. there are situations were i dont feel comfertable about doing it. extreme downhill shots i have trouble doing it. there are times where i need the arrow to go off in a moment or fit it into a window when the animal enters it,and with true suprise release to me thats not possible.

I personally feel like #1 is incorrect. I do not think that true bt is the best or most accurate even in the target archery world. As Bob mentioned, many of the best are "squeezers." I don't think that anyone would call pounding the trigger correct in anything besides playing the game show "press your luck."........ no whammies no whammies..... hahaha

Joe

I shot Redding twice with Gillingham. His sight picture is his "clicker". When the dot hits his mark, it's gone, but he's the exception. Crowe uses a controlled squeeze, pretty much like a rifle on the bench.

Understood, but I would contest that many people that answer number one are doing drive by shooting. I have seen some guys shoot 60X with this method, but give them 1 week off and it goes to crap. I doubt there are many pros at the top of the game that shoot like Gillingham, to say anything gillinham does is orthodox is just funny. I shot the Utah open one year next to him and he had four 30 inch stabs, 2 on front and 2 on back hahah

Joe

wapitibob

WKR
Yea, admittedly, punching isn't going to end well for most. The Hammer can throw a pretty good fit too ......
I remember those 4 bars. I have a 24" back bar with 2oz I'm messing with. Pain in the ass but it does what it's supposed to do without all the weight. Most guys are now running 14-16" and 17oz. Just too heavy for me.