How do you self diagnose?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious how you guys self asses bad shots? I was driving myself crazy in the backyard today at 32, constantly dropping them right in front of the target- thought I wasn't hitting full expansion- kept pulling and pulling and pulling, finally called it quits- now Im pretty sure I was peeking and dropping my bow arm. I hate chasing my tail- Need a quicker way to get back on track after a bad day of shooting.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Are you able to film yourself?
Ive tried that some, its such a hassel to get something set up to where I can get my phone into a good spot, then to stop in between each shot (for slo-mo) its seems like it wasnt worth it. If thats a key thing though I may need to give it another "shot"

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I have slowed down my shot process on each shot and it has greatly increased my consistency. Take it step by step and check them off mentally as you go. No reason to rush anything.
Also, try going in to about 5-7 yards and just blank bale shoot before each session. Shoot one arrow and go pull it. Again, check off each step as you go through the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpctcb

WKR
Having someone video you is best.
Otherwise if I’m off I pick up my 35# recurve and really focus on anchor and pushing bow arm at the target (my usual problems). I also shoot a lot of bareshafts and use lighted nocks. Those show all my errors quite well. LOL

Good luck to you!

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deerscat

FNG
I filmed myself but I still wouldn’t know for sure what I did wrong. After I went to a Rod Jenkins clinic I learned to be able to self diagnose my shot a ton better. So I can tell what I did wrong most of the time without filming. And when I can’t tell. I put the iPhone on slow motion and shoot. My biggest problem is moving my head. Instead of bringing sting had to anchor and leaving head where it is before drawing.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cheap tripod and a cobbled together holder for my phone that I use to film myself. The thing that I noticed when I was in a real slump was that I was creeping forward before releasing the shot. I was able to see the arrow inching forward from the shelf by just a bit when in slow-mo.

Most of my problems with shooting a recurve revolve around poor back tension. I'm constantly fighting it. I would start there first.

Another approach is to go to the blank bale after a few bad shots and then walk back to 5, 10 ,15, etc.. My release is always way better when I'm close enough to not fear sending an FMJ into the soybeans, lol!

I'm not trying to give out expert advice. I have had Rod's class and I've been shooting trad for 25 years. That said, I keep a compound tuned up and ready to go for when the frustration really sets in. Using a good hinge release with the compound is one thing that helps with activating the rhomboid to feel back tension a little better.

Btaylor

WKR
If you took Rod's course, you might want to shoot some video clips and see if he will take a look at them too.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have a bunch of issues you’re bouncing back n forth on from your initial post. Start perfecting form on the string bow, than transer. I personally coach a lot so I don’t have major issues but going through basic steps as a reminder helps sometimes.
Id be glad to help if you want it but I’d need a video to see what’s up

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have a bunch of issues you’re bouncing back n forth on from your initial post. Start perfecting form on the string bow, than transer. I personally coach a lot so I don’t have major issues but going through basic steps as a reminder helps sometimes.
Id be glad to help if you want it but I’d need a video to see what’s up
I certainly do, Im still new (just over a year) and have no coaching, just trying to learn from Tom Clumm Podcasts and youtube. What type of video (over the top, from the side behind?)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Holding the bow on target until the arrow impacts cured my peeking problem. Stops the dropping of your bow arm pretty quick once you make that part of your shot routine. I can tell right away when something else is the culprit, such as plucking, short drawing, collapsing etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I certainly do, Im still new (just over a year) and have no coaching, just trying to learn from Tom Clumm Podcasts and youtube. What type of video (over the top, from the side behind?)
There are different coaching angles and all show different things but start somewhere. I’d say I typically start off to the side. That shows a bit

inyago

FNG
The best thing you could do for yourself is go and get 6 lessons from a qualified archery coach..
Keep a diary of everything told and said to you.. Write it down in your own writing, so it is committed
to your memory..
If its okay video your last lesson for a reference when you train on your own..
And be honest with yourself,???

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
The best thing you could do for yourself is go and get 6 lessons from a qualified archery coach..
Keep a diary of everything told and said to you.. Write it down in your own writing, so it is committed
to your memory..
If its okay video your last lesson for a reference when you train on your own..
And be honest with yourself,???
That’s good advice.

shoot a lot, film yourself in slow-mo a lot, and above all else, get some coaching so you can learn from an expert how to diagnose. When your coach makes a correction to your form ask him why and ask what he saw that indicated the issue.