How do you stabilize your rifle for Antelope?

How do you stabilize your rifle for Antelope?

• Total voters
I've only been out west once (Wyoming; Elk). I ended up taking my shot on the side of a mountain using my trekking poles with a Quick-Stix adapter. I am planning a 2021 Wy Antelope hunt and it has me wondering how most people are making their shots. In a lot of the antelope videos I've seen it looks like grass is a pretty common feature in Antelope habitat. So much so, it seems like it might pose a problem trying to see through it with a standard bipod? I guess it depends how you are setup as well. I have seen a few people take shots off elevated knobs. FYI I am looking at the SE side of Wyoming.

Laramie

WKR
You left out the most common- hood of the pickup.

Bipods will work great for you. The grass is not very tall but occasionally the sage is. Not a bad idea to have a trigger stick or similar along.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
are you planning on bringing a tripod along for glassing? if yes, then I would seriously consider using it if it's already along

if no, then an appropriate length bipod and small rear bag would do the trick

Carlin59

WKR
90% of my western big game shots have come off crossed trekking poles. Not many people carry trekking poles in antelope country, but for me it’s such second nature from elk and deer they come along automatically for antelope too. Super adjustable from a high prone all the way to a high kneeling or low standing shot. Prone will be an easy no brainer if you are lucky enough to be presented with that in goat country. Spend most of your time practicing the tougher shots you might encounter.

Last edited:

ericwh

WKR
Depends on location I guess but IME prone (bipod or off a pack) will work sometimes, but not all the time. Sagebrush is at least 10" high and/or if there's a little roll between you and the animal you're screwed.

I think you need to also have a plan to shoot sitting. I have been practicing sitting, with my kifaru pack upright, but was not happy with the stability - I was achieving like 2moa at the range, which would only make me comfortable shooting to like 200y - which is why I'm now going to try the tripod.

My dad has one of the taller Harris bipods. I tried that sitting as well and I think I was better off with the pack. I wouldn't bother with one of those in my opinion.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I carry around a three legged shooting tripod from bogpod. Most my antelope have been shot off that or off my pack laying down.

This year, I used my 10x40 Binos under the foreend of the rifle to kill my buck. Worked pretty well. I used a fence post when I shot my doe. I actually shot her first, which I wasn’t going to do. But she kept running circles around me so I figured that was my sign that I need to go ahead and fill that tag.

I brought a cheap bipod for my boys but one used a fence post and the other just his knee. Both shots under 100 yards

RCB

WKR
Don't carry anything to stabilize other than a backpack, so I picked that. But just as often it's a tree, rock, bush. Last antelope I killed was a rush shot, so I just laid the rifle on a nearby rock and fired.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I use a tall Harris bipod on the rifle so that i can shoot when sitting, and I place my tripod with a "shooting V" under the butt stock. It's pretty solid. I shot my buck at 314 yards with that setup

WCB

WKR
Bipod on my gun or tripod I glass with. If i can't lay down (terrain or vegetation don't allow) I use the tripod. If I have time to set up or am able to lay down on bipod.

So all depends what you are carrying & terrain.
1. I always have sling that I can shoot slung up ( think CMP type sling ). I have used this when shooting over lips of hills.
2. Bipods work...if you can use a short one then you can use a sling...so not worthwhile...longer bipods are better for getting over grass.
3. So I don't bother carrying long bipod just use tripod and have a V on an arca swiss plate and just use my backpack to support the butt.

Between sling, framed backpack ( think the stays on mystery ranch ) and tripod I can pretty much build a dead solid position with solid front & back support that works for flat, uphill and downhill type terrain.

I can throw my backpack off, set the fore end on the frame and pull a leg under the butt and shoot if I am in a hurry and don't want to mess with tripod.

bdg848

WKR
Sitting height bipod to get above sage and grass. If I need more stability but cant go prone because of grass, I use the sitting height bipod in front and sit with my pack between my legs and use the pack frame to stabilize the rear of the rifle. It works pretty well. I could shoot a few hundred yards like that. If its any farther I have to get prone.

I use something like these. They have sections like tent stakes so I can use them laying down, sitting or kneeling. I use them when glassing also. If I can lean against a rock/tree or my pack I can get super solid. Bipods are so limited IMHO unless you can lay down for every shot.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I'll use my tripod, bipod, backpack or anything else I have at hand that will work. I like options and train shooting from all.