How do you store your gear?

hikenhunt

WKR
Bins on shelves for me. i had them stacked at one point but its a hassle when you need the bin at the bottom. I opted for the costco black bins with yellow tops when they went on sale. I just put a piece of duct tape on the front and use a sharpie to label what's in it.

Organized storage has been my current project. Black/yellow lid totes on shelving with labels for the bigger stuff. Smaller stuff is in labeled Sterilite drawers and old 4-drawer filing cabinets I got for dirt cheap (also labeled). This project has been a good opportunity to get rid of a bunch of junk I don't use.

Moving on to the workshop next to accomplish the same with tools.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Loper

WKR
After working from home for the last year and half and it looking like I’m not going to be called back into the office, I’m considering cleaning out my side of the closet and getting rid of 90% of my dress pants and 50% of my dress shirts to turn the majority of my closet into a “gear room”. I already have some stuff at the top of the closet, but I’d prefer to have as much as possible in a client controlled environment rather than in the garage.

I am limited on space as well in Florida. I use stackable bins. I went thru a few cheap versions but now only use Rubbermaid Brute. I use a smaller size and a bigger size. The lids are interchangeable and they all stack regardless of the size. I bought a couple rolling shelf units so I can keep the bins off the floor and easily roll them to sweep under them. Its easier as well to access them on the shelf as you dont have to unstack so many. I have the same setup in my warehouse in AL where my lease is. When I started using bins I thought bigger was better my over the years I found out more smaller to medium size bins work better as there is less in them and less digging thru them to find things.

To help with a little space, the over head storage racks for the garage are great. They give a great space to store items that aren’t used often. I think Costco sells them or I’m sure you have a few companies that sell/install.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I've found that switching to lighter, more packable gear has also made it easier to store that gear.

My outdoor clothing just hangs in my closet alongside my other clothes.

I agree with Boarmaster, I've got too many large totes with too much stuff in them that I should probably just get rid of. Smaller and medium size totes seem to be the way to go.

Soft coolers have gotten so much better in recent years and are way easier to store. I'm thinking about just getting rid of my bulky hard coolers.

I have some plastic totes that mice have chewed holes through, a good reminder that nothing is safe from those little bastards.

Storage totes are hard to beat for clothing and gear. For clothing, a couple scent wafers in the bottom and it's ready to go the next time I need it.

TBHasler

WKR
Clear, stackable storage bins on shelving. I like being able to see what's inside without opening. Tried the more robust black ones from HD but don't like them as much as the clear for ease of use.

Get the big ones for backpacks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This ^^^^. Labels on each with type or category of gear inside. Lots of various sizes but all clear with securable lids. Rather have too many than have to dig thru to find what I’m looking for
Mine are stacked on floor and shelves in larger spare room closet.

If you have to do garage, might consider some of the hanging shelve systems that attach to ceiling of garage and hang down 2-3+ ft

Randle

WKR
Just went thru and finished mine after picking up these shelves even the wifey can see where things are at....not sure if thats good or bad haha
Screenshot_20220312-130111_Gallery.jpg

GWHunter

FNG
I'm actually in the process of getting better organized myself. All my clothes are kept in sealed rubbermaid totes. I current have 5 and have them organized into baselayer/midlayers, outer layers, super cold weather/snow camo, and misc. Packs I keep hung on heavy duty hangers inside a metal storage closet. Next on the list is to build a set of shelves in the dead space under my basement stairs to store all the totes so that I can once again see my basement floor.

forestry

FNG
I recently ran into this problem after downsizing into a home with no basement. I am nervous about putting things in a garage that is not climate controlled, but hoping that I can find some decent storage totes for the stuff that I want inside (tents mostly).

yojo.3

FNG
I decided to redo a closet in my house with some nice organizers. I definitely could haved save money doing it differently, but we planned on doing the same for in our bedroom. And i wanted them to be set up the same. The bottom is 4 drawers. One drawer has all my hats and gloves. One for bottom base layers. One for top layers. And a drawer for socks. 6 cubbies to store different types of gear and ammo. And then hang the rest. These can definitely be done outside of a closet if you have a free wall.

Attachments

• 20220304_163122.jpg
    20220304_163122.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 30
Clear, stackable storage bins on shelving. I like being able to see what's inside without opening. Tried the more robust black ones from HD but don't like them as much as the clear for ease of use.

Get the big ones for backpacks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Me too but I have my different camo patterns in big ziplock Scentaway bags with Fresh Earth wafers inside. It's a solid cover scent.

strongarm

FNG
I use the wheeled mobile toolbox style bins. They are nearly indestructible and have a neoprene or rubber gasket for weather proofing if you need to toss in a truck bed or on a trailer. At base camp they sit outside and keep your gear dry and won’t crack they way basically every other style bin will. Every year some of my hunting party wrecks all their bins going to and from base camp. They do stink initially but that can be mitigated.