How do you tell how wide ?

How you you field judge a Colombian black tail ?
How wide are average ears ?
Say I wanted a 16”+ buck .. what boxes should it check ….

My personal experience is that a blacktail buck needs to be outside it’s ears to be 20”+. Right at it’s ear tips is usually 18” and just inside is 16”.

OutHeavy

FNG
Since you asked the question about "checking boxes", the spread on a blacktail in CA usually isn't coveted the same way they are on mulies. Deer wider than 20" aren't common, but might be more common than a deer with more than 4 points on each side. In a state that sells over 300,000 hunting licenses annually locating a buck better than a 4x4 is usually viewed as exceptional, regardless of spread.

Marble

WKR
How you you field judge a Colombian black tail ?
How wide are average ears ?
Say I wanted a 16”+ buck .. what boxes should it check ….
Depends a little bit on age. But a mature blacktail buck will be around 18". Larger animals can be bigger. Mule deer can range from 20 to 26" depending and age, location and genetics.

Here's a blacktail to think about. Fairly wide 3x4 with big eye guards. Haven't seen him yet this year but I have one more camera to check.

I would guess this one has ears around 18 or 19" wide with around 4 inches on each side, outside his ears. A trophy for sure, but wilnot meet the standards for a a book entry because of a lack of mass, short one point and shallow forks. But he decent to better than average mass.
f3ad15a477227683f903277c9c751bc8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk