How do you travel on airlines with your large backpack?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
913C8C45-0BCC-479E-B661-88BCD3F1D841.jpeg

Sitka 90 with Musk Ox cape, Nomads with DIY camp, horns, and weapon. Hopper 30 with 55# prime Ox cuts, and Flip 12 with optics/electronics. Only time I’ve ever put my spotter in checked luggage but that was the only way I could get it all to fit under the limits...

it is really, really nice to have the Nomads. They roll heavy loads. Strap everything to them. I often clip two together.

FNG
I put my backpack in my cooler so on the return trip I have a place for meat hide and horns. I take a large military duffel to put my backpacks in for the return trip. That way buckles do not get broken and any anti hunters will not know what it is. I carry my glass with me.

miloak

FNG
Tons of guys come through Anchorage airport with backpacks simply checked as baggage, as is with straps and buckles dangling. Don't do that.

I use an old Cabela's dry bag that ceased being waterproof some time ago but still protects contents from airlines. A used hockey gear duffle from Play It Again Sports is a cheap option. Just use something, anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hntr4life

FNG
I have used for years a Catchers gear bag, it has wheels and a retractable handle and is big enough to fit your loaded pack. The KIUI 300 is perfect for a carry on, for optics and other carry on items. Alaska Airlines is a little fussy about bags over 50 lbs. If you chose not to use a duffle ask the agent when you check in for a car seat bag, theses are incredible bags and are a bit of a secret, they don’t want us to know they have. You will find that Alaska Airline is used to seeing lots of different bag configurations so don’t worry. I have traveled with a fish box and a cooler for years as luggage.

buzzy

WKR
Kuiu 3200 as my carry on with no problems. When I need my 7200 It goes inside a Taku 5500 along with my clothes. Works out well as I have made several trips this way. The 3200 is filled with clothes and I have a small handbag as well with my camera, binos and other items I don’t want to check

idig4au

WKR
I pack up my EMRII fully loaded for most part (less anything expensive like sat phone, spotting scope etc) and put into a Kifaru X-large duffel for checked luggage. I'll put my ammo in a separate hard sided locked case, boots trekking boots, and spare clothing around backpack inside the duffel. Zip up and lock with a TSA lock.

I've carried it before as carry on with limited volume and compressed but the 26" stays don't fit in the overhead unless you put it long ways. I usually fly first or business class, so not really an issue on most flights, especially international. I'll then check most of everything else as regular luggage.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bumping this back up.... looking for a bag to check that has at the very least backpack straps. I'm over carrying a big Cabelas duffel that weighs 50lbs with 1 sh***y shoulder strap. Here's the ones I'm considering.
1) Sitka Nomad (only downside I see is it's over the size limit for checking, so may get dinged with a charge, then it's 10 pounds starting out)
2) Stone Glacier STOL 7000
3) Yeti Panga 100

Any input from you guys would be awesome!

Trial153

WKR
Bumping this back up.... looking for a bag to check that has at the very least backpack straps. I'm over carrying a big Cabelas duffel that weighs 50lbs with 1 sh***y shoulder strap. Here's the ones I'm considering.
1) Sitka Nomad (only downside I see is it's over the size limit for checking, so may get dinged with a charge, then it's 10 pounds starting out)
3) Yeti Panga 100

I have the nomand, I put my bow in it and then pile my junk on top. Packs ect, you name it. I bet I have about 10 round trip flights on it and it's been decent. Some stuffs and marks but nothing major.
I have yet to he be dinged for the over size or even measured. I expect it may happen at some point...and when it does it does.
I use it for about half my trips and other times take an SKB. The nomand is more functional because the amount I can fit it.

I just bought the newest sitka duffles in both 70 and 110 LT...they have back pack straps, best part is they are removable easily. I plan on taking them off at check in then tucking them away so there is less to catch on the baggage belts. The 110 is making its madden trip to Alaska in few weeks. I may even put my pack in if decide to not carry the pack on. They both have some nice features and huge upgrade from their last version. In fact sitka replaces my old one early this year with new version under the warranty when I had zipper issue. Talk about good CS, they really took care of me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the nomand, I put my bow in it and then pile my junk on top. Packs ect, you name it. I bet I have about 10 round trip flights on it and it's been decent. Some stuffs and marks but nothing major.
I have yet to he be dinged for the over size or even measured. I expect it may happen at some point...and when it does it does.
I use it for about half my trips and other times take an SKB. The nomand is more functional because the amount I can fit it.

I just bought the newest sitka duffles in both 70 and 110 LT...they have back pack straps, best part is they are removable easily. I plan on taking them off at check in then tucking them away so there is less to catch on the baggage belts. The 110 is making its madden trip to Alaska in few weeks. I may even put my pack in if decide to not carry the pack on. They both have some nice features and huge upgrade from their last version. In fact sitka replaces my old one early this year with new version under the warranty when I had zipper issue. Talk about good CS, they really took care of me.

Would you lean to those newer duffels or fall back to the Nomad if you could have 1? Those rollers are really damn appealing.

Trial153

WKR
Would you lean to those newer duffels or fall back to the Nomad if you could have 1? Those rollers are really damn appealing.
Take this for what it's worth, since I only travel with a bow I would go with the Nomand. If I didn't I might think differently. I am glad don't have to choose between them.
If you want I can send you the 70 to try out. I don't need it back anytime till maybe Sept. My 110 is packed to go... PM and I can get it out to you.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
3) Yeti Panga 100

Jordan,

I have all 3 of those bags. I have traveled all over the world with the Nomad and I’ve never been dinged for oversized. I now always have the STOL packed inside now to use for bush plane or as an extra bag for meat/hide/horns for the way home. At 2# it is a great option. I’d say if I were starting from scratch I’d go that way, BUT, it is really really nice to roll that Nomad everywhere. The Panga is really nice; quite a bit heavier than the STOL but is definitely bulletproof and you don’t have to worry at ALL about your stuff getting wet in camp...or using it as a life preserver on a raft trip.

300wmxcr2

FNG
My main pack goes into a hockey bags, zippers ty wrapped, no worries about pack straps etc get caught and ripped during handling. Out of site out of mind, a hockey bag looks less inviting that a $400.00 pack. Binos, spotting scope, 1 change of hunting cloths, personal items etc go into a day pack as a carry on. Boots on my feet, jacket on my back.

FlyGuy

WKR
I take off all the extra pockets and then stuff my Reckoning full of optics and camera gear and anything else I can fit in it. Never had a problem Getz

You can’t cheat the mountain

TXCO

WKR
I have a stone glacier sky 7400. I run it in bivy mode about 1/3 - 1/2 full with my optics and some key gear like rain gear as a carryon. I wear my boots and solid color clothes I can hunt in. Basically I just try to look like a hippie backpacker. I can usually pack everything else into one checked bag, especially if using my tuffpak for a rifle.

Beware that some airlines and airports are moving away from allowing giant duffle bags with straps because they get caught on the belts. Some want one hard side and anything with removable straps is good. If Sitka had their new travel bag out with the removable straps I would not have bought the SG Stol bag. I didnt want to buy the patagonia ones due to their stance on hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonnyB

WKR
The SG stol is awesome. I actually use it a lot for boating (3 kids, wife, gear stacks up quick) and it has stood up to all kinds of abuse. Best part was we had a drain plug malfunction one day and the entire bulkhead was filled with water. The stol was floating in the water for a few minutes and then was in the path of several bailout bucket dumps... not a thing in the inside was wet.

Also, the color looks quite different in person. It’s actually a really bad ass looking steel green or something, not quite sure how to describe it. I love it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk