How do you wear your gaiters?

OP
O
I’ve seen lots of people with the gaiters underneath. It has something to do with keeping them quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
That would be like wearing rain shell as a base layer. Gaiters so noisy that they ruin a hunt seems unlikely, if so, you own the wrong gaiters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
I can maybe see wearing my snake gaiters on the inside. I personally don't, but those are the only types of gaiters you would do that for.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
99% of the time gaiters are on the outside. That said once your pants start beading water or getting too saturated it runs behind/under the gaiters and straight into footwear. Been there a few times.

In this rare instance I find it better to switch and put gaiters under and let the pants saturate and run past the boots due to the gaiters being inside. It really does work to keep feet dry. Granted everything else is drenched, but boots can take days to dry out I protect them at all cost.

This is a rare anomaly and I typically run them on exterior for light water and mostly tear protection.

matthewmt

WKR
Only time my gaiters are under pants they're rain pants and still over top of my primary duds

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Worn mine with shorts a lot. When packing in a distance for spike camp I'll often wear shorts if it's warm. Always put gaiters on when I do that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Gaitors are used to keep water out of your boots and to keep your pants dry.

I’m not sure who in the hell would wear their pants on the outside?

People that have been wet enough to know water will wick down their pants, under the gators, and into their boots. Gaitors on the inside allow the water in the pant leg to go past the top of the gaitor, not under it and into the top of the boot.

Brendan

WKR
People that have been wet enough to know water will wick down their pants, under the gators, and into their boots. Gaitors on the inside allow the water in the pant leg to go past the top of the gaitor, not under it and into the top of the boot.
Happened to me this year. Gore tex boots and gore tex OR crocs didn't do a damn thing. Wet brush and grass wet out my thighs, ran down my pants (Sitka timberline) within 10 minutes I could pour water out of my boots. Miserable.

That's a scenario where gaiters need to go under, or you need rain pants.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Happened to me this year. Gore tex boots and gore tex OR crocs didn't do a damn thing. Wet brush and grass wet out my thighs, ran down my pants (Sitka timberline) within 10 minutes I could pour water out of my boots. Miserable.

That's a scenario where gaiters need to go under, or you need rain pants.

Same thing here. Now I'll know how to manage/prevent this scenario. Strange question at first, but good info. Thanks folks.