how do you?

6t4nova

WKR
Well usually the MIL comes out. Also I purchased a PLB and that helped out a lot with her comfort if something were to happen while I am out there. In fact, she prefers I go alone most of the time.

dotman

WKR
Really she knows it isn't something she can stop and overall has to accept it, just make sure life insurance policy is bumped up :). I took a buddy with me a few years ago and if he didn't check in his wife had S&R on speed dial, luckily we had ok cell service otherwise it could have really sucked. I think the Spot or PLB can help, I just really remind my wife that I take less chances when solo. Anymore though in CO I haven't gone more then a day without cell service.

Never really had a problem with it to be honest. We usually sit down and discuss the plan, what, where, when, how etc. Last year she freaked out a little when I got back from a pretty rough trip. She said she didn't want me going back to that area again...we will see what happens....I guess it was my fault cause I did a little video journal thing each day for her so she got to see a bit of the rough parts.

I think I might get a spot or something in the future for ease of mind, but so far I have just sort of checked in where cell phone coverage is available. Might not do the video journal again either.

dotman

WKR
I think it also helps that my wife knows I have been doing this solo or not since I was 14.

TJ

WKR
I let her know where I am going, maps, trails, etc, and when I'll be back.

If I change things up during a hunt I'll call and give her my new destination.

She knows I am confident in my ability to get in and out. Even though she can't understand why I do it!!

Slim Jim

WKR
I always print out off of google earth terrain, where I'll be and when I'm coming back. If it is a new area that I haven't been, I'll give her about 3 or 4 locations I'll be within a couple of basins.

OP
fillthefreezer
FTF, did you do this type of hunting before you were married?
i never really went very deep before we were married and then she came along when i was really starting to go further. this year shes got a new job and no vaca.
i think most of her worries stem from the fact that she's been to and seen my spots...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always did it and never made a big deal of it. She didn't start realizing the potential for problems for several years. By that time she was accustomed to it and cell service was already getting better with each passing year.

Wrongside

WKR
I guess my wife is pretty relaxed about it. I do try to talk things over with her before most trips, locations, possible complications, etc. I guess she's good with the fact that I'm going, no matter what.

I've been using a SPOT II for the last few years and that helps with most of her apprehensions. She appreciates the updates and the fact that it will help in the event something goes sideways. We took a Sat Phone on last years sheep trip, which was nice for a few brief chats as well. It all helps...

tater

WKR
My wife knows it's who i am, but in the interest of sanity may i suggest the following:
Sit down with her and ask her what her fears really are. Address them one at a time with rational solutions. Fear of bears? Offer to carry spray.
Fear of u getting hurt? Offer to rent a sat phone. Anything that will put her fears to rest will probably get you the space you need.

In the end if it doesn't satisfy her, tell her that you are going to Vegas by yourself for a long weekend. She'll probably really lose her s#!t over THAT...then hunting backwoods solo doesn't seem so bad.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I trust Luke completely, and he has been hunting solo since his teens, but I confess I still worry when he goes solo. While I am still not wild about the idea, several things have made a big difference for me in feeling more comfortable when I know he is out there alone.

First and foremost is communication, before, during and after. Before he goes, we try to discuss where he will be going, where he is going to leave the truck, how long he plans to be out, etc. basically it's like a trip plan, and I find that knowing where he is going to be gives me some peace of mind. At least then if something happens and he becomes overdue I know where to start looking. We have a sat phone, and when Luke goes alone he calls in every night (this is a change from the norm for us, if he is out with other people but without me, he often only calls every couple of days or so). They don't have to be long calls, but I feel so much better knowing that he is ok out there. When he calls in he updates me about where he is, particularly if this is a change from the plan we have made, and gives me some idea where he is headed the next day. He has also gotten good about letting me know when he gets back to the truck, after a miscommunication years ago that had me pretty worried. For my part I have tried to not be too irritated when he comes home later than planned, as long as he keeps me updated.

If a sat phone is not an option for you, an "I'm ok" message from the spot, or other device could achieve a similar goal, but you can't communicate changes to the plan or find out if there has been any kind of emergency at home. For where we live and how much time we spend in remote areas, the sat phone has been more than worth it, but I know it's an awfully big investment.

I think the other thing that has been most reassuring to me have been unsolicited statements by Luke that no animal or trip is worth dying for. He has made a point to tell me that he is even more careful than usual and takes fewer risks when he is alone, and I believe him. The stakes are a lot higher when you are out there without anyone else.

I still worry whenever he heads off solo, but these things have made me more comfortable with the idea. It also helps when he comes home safe, and tells me it would have been more fun if I had been able to go :)

I made sure before I was every married that she new the things I love to do and that she was not going to have issues with me doing them then, now or ever!!! Get a big life insurance policy and enlighten here about how lucky she could get :)

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
If you dont have a spot, you should get one. My wife is uneasy but the spot helps her. And for $99 for the unit and $99 a year for subscription its peanuts and can save your life.

Lorne

ckleeves

WKR
I made sure before I was every married that she new the things I love to do and that she was not going to have issues with me doing them then, now or ever!!! Get a big life insurance policy and enlighten here about how lucky she could get :)

I don't even have a life insurance policy and my wife would still consider herself lucky if I disappeared!!

sk1

WKR
Spot2 with the GPS tracking feature made it so much easier for my wife to relax and follow along on my hunts....and you can even send pre programmed messages so she knows your ok or your going to be late because you tagged out.

I can't even go on day hunts without it, best thing I ever bought she loves it