How does ATA effect draw length???

Yukondog

WKR
I have a 30" draw length and have read and been told I should not shot a 30" ATA bow. String angle is too steep. So, I have narrowed down my search for a new bow and most likely will be getting a Elite Answer which is 33.5" ATA.

For those in the know, what is your opinion to ATA and draw length? What are the real factors that apply to the string angle and how does it effect your shot?

Thanks,

Matt

JNDEER

WKR
Don't really have a scientific theory on ATA and draw length. I have shot a 32" ATA at 31" and 30" DL with no issues.

Only real way to know is for you to shoot one and see how it feels.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 30" draw length and have read and been told I should not shot a 30" ATA bow. String angle is too steep. So, I have narrowed down my search for a new bow and most likely will be getting a Elite Answer which is 33.5" ATA.

For those in the know, what is your opinion to ATA and draw length? What are the real factors that apply to the string angle and how does it effect your shot?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey, Matt. I am also a 30" DL and I've shot bows with ATAs of 30-38". My 36" Elite Pure, is most comfortable, but I'm also a huge fan of the Answer and have no problems with it's ATA. I think you would be really happy with the Answer.

Matt,

Its not that it CAN'T be done because guess what every 30-32" ATA bow on the market hits 30" DL. My reason for steering customers' away from them is more a factor of head position and the physical geometries between shooter and bow at full draw.

The steeper the string angle the farther down your head will need to be to get your nose on the string for your aiming reference. The farther down your head is the greater amount of strain put on your eyes because you aren't looking straight out through your socket but instead forcing your eyes up more towards the top and wearing down your vision faster VS a longer ATA 34+ where your head is more upright reducing eye strain and fatigue.

Personal thoughts.

wapitibob

WKR
"Its not that it CAN'T be done because guess what every 30-32" ATA bow on the market hits 30" DL. My reason for steering customers' away from them is more a factor of head position and the physical geometries between shooter and bow at full draw."

right on the button.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Matt,

Its not that it CAN'T be done because guess what every 30-32" ATA bow on the market hits 30" DL. My reason for steering customers' away from them is more a factor of head position and the physical geometries between shooter and bow at full draw.

The steeper the string angle the farther down your head will need to be to get your nose on the string for your aiming reference. The farther down your head is the greater amount of strain put on your eyes because you aren't looking straight out through your socket but instead forcing your eyes up more towards the top and wearing down your vision faster VS a longer ATA 34+ where your head is more upright reducing eye strain and fatigue.

Personal thoughts.

Nailed it in the 10X

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the size of your nose too. :)

I have a relatively small nose. I shoot a 32" ATA bow with a 29" draw, and I can't get my nose on the string without cocking my head downward. It's awkward to do that, so I don't. I just anchor my knuckle into the spot between my jawbone and cheek bone and shoot without my nose touching the string. I also make sure to center the sight ring inside the peep. Works fine for me.

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that anchor points are far more important to a traditional shooter than they are to a compound shooter using a peep and pins. If your pins are sighted in and you center the ring inside the peep, then you've got 99% of what you need to hit your target conquered, don't you?

Bug%20Scuffle%20Axis%20Quest%202011-103-L.jpg

Last edited:

Blackcow

WKR
+100% what Evan said. Plus, with the decreased string angle bringing the string closer to your face ,you can use a smaller peep if you choose to without the view through the peep appearing somewhat oval. And by stretching the mass weight of the bow out a bit,it seems to settle right left better at least for me . In fact if my setup allows it I like to forgo a back bar and put weights on the riser, top and bottom,opposite a two piece quiver. But then again when I started shooting ,a short compound was 40+ inches! Lol.maybe my thinking is outdated but it still works for me!