How does the SIG Sierra 3 BDX stand up?

Greyes

WKR
Needing a new scope for my rifle. I was originally leaning Leupold. But I already own a SIG 1800 BDX rangefinder so I an curious about the SIG sierra 3 BDX scope. Not a lot of places have it in stock to look at (or through) so I am wondering what everyone’s opinion’s are on it? Hows the glass quality? How well does the BDX system actually work in real life hunting scenarios? Not just bench shooting.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Personally, I like mine a lot. Once you've entered your ballistics and synced everything up you just need to go out to distance and verify your hitting in the right place and make any adjustments, just like any other scope. The furthest I can shoot at paper out in my neck of the woods is 400 yards but I'm shooting under 1 MOA at that distance and can ring steel out to 600. It holds zero and the glass looks good to my untrained eye.

I killed an antelope, 2 deer, and an elk with it last year in various lighting conditions (elk was at 80 so didn't use the electronicals for that one!). Furthest I've killed anything with it was 300 but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it out to 400 on a deer and 600 on an elk.

I will say this is not the scope for you if you want to shoot much further than that. The ballistics stop after 800 yards so if you want to shoot further than that you'd be dialing and I'm haven't tested that at all to tell you if it actually tracks.

If you are in to trusting reviews, the Sig Sierra scopes consistently rank very high, even against much more expensive brands. I just purchased a Sierra6 and the quality of the glass seems to be good. My only complaint is the reticle lines are too thick.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have not had any issues with them other than the the learning curve associated with a new product.

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
They are not legal in some states, if that matters to you.

That does matter to me. I was not aware of any regulations stipulating between electronic vs traditional scopes. Only states that don’t allow scopes in general. Do you know which states don’t allow electronic scopes? Cause depending on that it may not matter to me haha.

That does matter to me. I was not aware of any regulations stipulating between electronic vs traditional scopes. Only states that don’t allow scopes in general. Do you know which states don’t allow electronic scopes? Cause depending on that it may not matter to me haha.

I am referring to being illegal for hunting big game only. If I recall correctly, Co was one. Unfortunately, I don't recall the others. But, the last I checked, the trend appeared to be growing.

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
I am referring to being illegal for hunting big game only. If I recall correctly, Co was one. Unfortunately, I don't recall the others. But, the last I checked, the trend appeared to be growing.

Good to know! I will have to look in it that more! Thanks!

I think many of those state restrictions apply to having the ballistics calculators in the scope itself, and/or the laser rangefinder (Burris Eliminator?)

My understanding is that Sig skirts this law by having your phone do the ballistics calcs and rangefinder separate.

Other than allowing users more accurate electronic dope, I don't see how this is much of an advantage. If you have time to wake the scope, range it and then shoot, you have time to range it, dial and shoot...

It also takes some time/knowledge to dial in your ballistics to the app beforehand. Easier than building a dope chart, maybe, but not by much. In fact if I didn't run the BDX scopes I would zero at 300 yards and only dial for long range.

I like the accuracy promised by the electronic dope and partial first focal plane feature (dot moves with zoom), but I agree that the reticle is a bit thick when sighting in. After carrying the rifle around quite a bit for the past few weeks I didn't notice any loss of zero.

BRGT2

FNG
Personally, I like mine a lot. Once you've entered your ballistics and synced everything up you just need to go out to distance and verify your hitting in the right place and make any adjustments, just like any other scope. The furthest I can shoot at paper out in my neck of the woods is 400 yards but I'm shooting under 1 MOA at that distance and can ring steel out to 600. It holds zero and the glass looks good to my untrained eye.

I killed an antelope, 2 deer, and an elk with it last year in various lighting conditions (elk was at 80 so didn't use the electronicals for that one!). Furthest I've killed anything with it was 300 but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it out to 400 on a deer and 600 on an elk.

I will say this is not the scope for you if you want to shoot much further than that. The ballistics stop after 800 yards so if you want to shoot further than that you'd be dialing and I'm haven't tested that at all to tell you if it actually tracks.
Helpful info, thanks for that.

They are a decent scope. I have a bdx 3 and a bdx 6. The optics on the 3 are "decent" and the optics on the 6 are "pretty good!" Mechanically they are both very accurate in the dials and adjustments. Once dialed they certainly put a bullet in the right spot. The crosshairs are thick but in reality its still easy to aim where you want.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
The scope itself is definitely on the lower end of quality compared to higher end brands but that being said I absolutely love the BDX system. After hunting this year with it, I wouldn't go back to anything else. Many scopes are better quality but the features you get for the price are a tremendous value I feel.

ericF

WKR
Unless something has changed and I wouldn't be surprised, the BDX is or was legal in 2020 when I reached out to CPW. Here is their direct reply on it and it doesn't look like the wording has changed with regards to "smart rifles". I don't have my BDX setup on a rifle for big game or else I would be reaching out ever year to make sure legality continues. That being said, I'm amazed by the number of people that buy the Burris Elminator which definitely fits into the smart rifle category whenever I go to Scheels or Sportsmans. I am guessing that there is a high level of ignorance in the general hunting community about some of these technicalities.

"Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about Sig Sierra BDX Scope as a legal scope in Colorado.

I have shared a previous inquiry about the Sig BDX with our lead law enforcement investigator and I have been provided the following information;

One of the criteria to fit into smart rifle technology is that it has a ballistic computer. In looking at Sig Sauer's website this BDX system would not fit into the "smart rifle" definition and thus be legal. https://www.sigsauer.com/products/electro-optics/bdx/
There is a separate rangefinder used to determine the distance to the animal and is paired using Bluetooth technology to the riflescope to determine the exact holdover. There is also an app that is downloaded for smartphones used to bond the rangefinder to the scope.

Although Sig BXD scope is currently legal, our Parks and Wildlife Commission is concerned about the ethics of fair chase and one needs to check the regulation each year to make sure it is still legal to use in Colorado."