How far are you shooting

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Just kinda curious asto how far everyone is comfortable shooting, I feel really confidet out to about 25 yards on a deer size 3d target, but decided to play around at 35 today and did suprisingly well. Just curious as to what everyones max is?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I practice out to 50yds 30 being my max on an animal. I don't think I'd ever shoot at an animal 50+yds out unless I already had an arrow in it.
Furthest I've ever taken an animal from was around 25. This year being my first elk hunt I will be spending a lot of practice sessions out past 40yds and if I'm comfortable with my ability 40 will be my max on a relaxed animal.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Rock 2.0 I agree on a personal level. If I'm not mistaken Fred Bear Pope & Young Howard Hill & Byron Fergeson have all made 60+ yd shots on game. I believe in the hands of an expert it is very doable. I would never try a 1000yd shot with a rifle but guys do it all the time.

Mckinnon

WKR
I'm a total idiot I didn't see this was trade gear sorry me being a dumbass :p
Woah buddy! You're not any of those things, I was just amazed. My little brother just picked up a longbow this morning and I was barely able to consistently hit my small block at 20, so I was just picturing a 60 yard shot with trad gear and was amazed! No worries.

Broken Arrow- Totally agree, to each there own on all levels. If it's legal who am I to argue with another person's methods?

This is my first year as an aspiring trad shooter. December and January I had been shooting in my shop at 20 yards and feeling pretty good. I was putting 6 arrows in 6 2" bulls eyes. The weather is getting a little nicer so I took my bag target out side today and tried 30 yards. Let's just say I'm lucky it is a big bag. My groups opened up about a foot. I'm going to need more practice, but I'll probably be limited to 20 yards come fall.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting instinctive it is focus at 60 yds picking the tiniest spot is hard that's what you have to work on your brain and body can do it it's picking the absolutely smallest spot. I shoot 12" groups at 50yds. Before I was a father etc and practiced everyday at 30 yds my groups were 3" at 10 yards I couldn't shoot more than 1 arrow or I would end up replacing broken knocks.

tater

WKR
I regularly practice out to 100 yards, and i shoot a minimum of four days a week, all year around. Stake shooting at 90-100 yards is a great way to ensure consistent form and release. It also helps to troubleshoot when things start to drift at closer ranges.
On a really good day i can keep them all on a pie plate out to 55 or 60 yards.

My max 'gut feel' (i don't think distances in the field because i am an instinctive shooter) usually sits somewhere around 30-35yards when i'm hunting. It comes down to the ability to focus in the moment on that one hair that you need to split on the animal.
Some days are just 'a little off' from others, and those become a 'subconscious 25 or less' day.

Lost Arra

FNG
Over the years I"ve built a 3d course in the woods behind my house.
My kids know a Rinehart target is always a good Christmas gift for dad.
I can take shots on targets out to 50 but keep most well under 30 especially the treestand shots.
Actually the only time I've measured distance was last summer during the Olympics.
I set up a 70 meter target just for grins and realized I won't be on the longbow team in 2016.

On game I want under 25, hopefully under 20.
Those Rinehart targets are very realistic but they have never jumped the string or taken a step at my release.

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Practice practice practice! At least that is how the old saying goes! And it still holds true with archery. Maximum shooting range and potential lies within each archer and what they are comfortable with. My practice regime take me put to 120 yards and I am very comfortable shooting a target with great groups at that distance and everything closer. It makes those 60 yard shots feel like chip shots! Shooting at farther distances forces you to become a better archer as everything becomes more important at longer range shots. Flaws in your form and follow through are compounded which forces you to improve.

Now don't get wrapped around the axle.....remember this is target shooting. I may be comfortable shooting out to 120 yards on a target. Doesn't mean I'll shoot at an animal at that distance. A lot of factors come into play on a live target as we all know!

bowuntr

WKR
I would have a tough time getting my bow to cast an arrow 120 yards... much less hit a target.... You must be talking compounds. Ed F

tater

WKR
Any trad bow 40# + shooting a well tuned 9-12 GPP arrow will get an arrow out to 120 yards. Will it be flat shooting? Nope.
We often forget the history of NFAA and Clout shooting where 80-150 yards was a weekly event for archers who thought nothing of targets at those ranges.

Thats why the target faces past 70 were not perpendicular to ground, but had about a 30 degree tilt upward!

But as has been said, BIG difference between targets and animals.Paper and foam don't run.

tater

WKR
Ed, then ya gotta throw in one of them emoticon thingies for those of us that are sarcasm challenged!

Shot

FNG
I regularly will practice out to 60 yards. Furthest shot I have taken at an animal was 50 yards at a jack rabbit. This past season shot a bedded Ca deer in his bed at 6-8 yards and the follow up was at 40yards. Guess if I feel confident in the shot....I'm launching an arrow.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I believe if I can see it I can hit it. With in reason (60-70yrds). I've killed a ton of small game at this range. I can shoot 3d coarses at the pro stake and shoot better with my longbow than I can with my compound. Unless I bring the range finder. The average shot at the pro stake is 45 yards.
Now for hunting deer here Michigan is totally different. If I wher to shoot at whitetailed deer over 25 yards that will not only jump the string it may even be 4ft away.
So I like em close 15 yards away and maybe they could have the flu so they'r not so sharp.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Practice practice practice.
True but...
You have to kno what ur practicing and y. Practice with a purpose. I break my practice into 2 things form and form only. Which is blind baling or totally physical things like string hand back tension ect. Than I will practice the mental things like mental follow thru picking a spot or imagining the arc of the arrow on the longer shots.
When it comes time to do the wet work or keep a score all I have to do is let my mind and body do what is has been trainned to do.