How far away can elk be spotted?

ATL-Kyle

FNG
I know this is probably a super rookie question but I'll be headed West for my first elk hunt this year and I'm already diving into OnX, Gaia, and Google Earth to get a better feel for the area I'll be in. I'm trying to determine a couple glassing locations but I have absolutely no idea how far is too far for glassing certain basins/ridges. I have 10x50 binos and 20-60x80 spotting scope for reference (both Vortex). Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Calbuck

WKR
As far away as you can see em!

Seriously, when you’re glassing, I would look nearer your position first to see if there are any animals close enough to put a stalk on or whatever you need to do. Once you’ve picked that country apart, move your view further out to try and locate animals that you might make a plan for the next day or whenever you rule out the ground you’re on.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
You can see them from quite far. It really is dependent on the terrain and how thick the country is. With the set up you have you could glass and elk at 1-1.5 miles easy. If the unit you are hunting is super thick leave the spotter in the truck and tear up the country with the binos. I was in AZ in December Chasing Elk on a late bull tag. Through 10x42 SLC's and was comfortably picking up elk at a mile.

OP
ATL-Kyle

ATL-Kyle

FNG
2 miles is very doable if they are in the open

That's actually the distance I was particularly wondering about. I found a easy-to-reach place that has a commanding view to use for scouting a day or 2 before the opener but wasn't sure if I would be able to pick apart a specific series of ridges where the timber becomes more sparse towards the top. Straight line on GE says 2 miles

I’ve spotted elk at just under five miles on a few occasions. I’ve never owned more than a 65mm spotter.

The elk this year were three and a half miles out before we stalked in.

I know Robbie in his book mentions spotter deer at five miles under the right conditions. That’s tough.

OP
ATL-Kyle

ATL-Kyle

FNG
I’ve spotted elk at just under five miles on a few occasions. I’ve never owned more than a 65mm spotter.

The elk this year were three and a half miles out before we stalked in.

I know Robbie in his book mentions spotter deer at five miles under the right conditions. That’s tough.

That makes me feel a lot better about the spot I picked out. Now I just need the elk to show themselves 🤞

That makes me feel a lot better about the spot I picked out. Now I just need the elk to show themselves 🤞

If you’re an inexperienced glasser and elk identifier it could be tough. And I’ve spotted numerous animals at miles out and once you get there they are long gone. It can make relocating tough to be far out.

OP
ATL-Kyle

ATL-Kyle

FNG
If you’re an inexperienced glasser and elk identifier it could be tough. And I’ve spotted numerous animals at miles out and once you get there they are long gone. It can make relocating tough to be far out.
The spot I have picked out is more for scouting a day or two before the season than anything. Being able to see a lot of ground and getting an idea of where to be the next day for a much closer look

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
2 miles easily. I can pick up elk at 2 miles with my 10×50 binoculars then the spotter comes out.

mt100gr.

WKR
Without knowing how rugged the area is, I feel it's worth pointing out that seeing them can be one thing, accessing them, another.

In a few places I hunt I have seen deer and elk inside 1.5 miles that might as well be on the moon. Surrounding terrain should be considered so you can get to them from the glassing location. In the above case, it's sometimes better to just watch them from afar and pay attention to where and when. Save that info for another day if you need a place to go.

Wassid82

WKR
with a razor 20-60-80 we have spotted them 2-2.5 miles away. its doable. get high and hunker down for long spotting sessions.

Wilks54

FNG
Really depends on the area. Some spots the binos are better and the spotting scope is just dead weight.

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon the country, vegetation, and background. Elk with a snow background out in the open can be spotting miles away with both binos and spotting scope. Elk in scrub oak may be tough to spot at 1/4 mile. I often can find an antler sticking up, elk rump etc at long distances with a spotter that are impossible to see with 10 or 15 x binos. If field judging bulls is important a spotter is essential. A spotter may be useless if glassing closer than 1/4 mile.

15x binos are great for spotting game in brush across canyons at 1/4 to 1/2 mile away but tough to locate elk past that distance unless elk are in relatively open country or with a contrasting background like snow. A spotter may be better for spotting 1/2 mile + distance. It's really nice using tandom binos plus spotter in open country.

With that said, you'll likely learn quickly where 10x, vs 15x, vs spotter vs combo of these are advantageous.

In the coastal PNW rainforest you can't see past 25 feet sometimes...we spotter elk at almost 6 miles in AZ. Depends on terrain and your glass.

As others have said you can see elk for miles. You have the right tools for the job. If there’s snow on the ground life gets even easier.

But glassing properly is a skill. It’s not like anyone can just jump behind a spotting scope and say yep there they are. You’ll get better at it after awhile.

I have a sequence that I use. First I do the obvious and do a quick scan of the bigger open ateas. Then I look into smaller openings. After that I slow down and peer around the edges of the openings looking for legs, horizontal back lines, or anything that looks out of place. After that I go to grid patterns staring at every square inch including into the timber for elk.

Learn the area you’re looking at and develop a “glassing plan” and keep repeating the cycle.

You can spot elk but how much detail such as is it a bull or cow, is it a 5 point or 6 point etc will vary by distance. You might look at the same elk 10 times before it turns at the right angle to where the light hits it differently and you say wait... that’s a small bull.