How far away do you camp?

brn2hnt

WKR
How far from where you want to glass do you normally setup camp?

Have been looking at a few places and when I start looking at camp options I don't love the idea of being super close and having any scent swirl at the top and risk it being blown into the basin all night with the thermals.

hobbes

WKR
I would camp as close as possible to the glassing point without high risk to blowing scent all over the area that you are planning to hunt. I suppose distance depends on prevailing winds and thermals but the opposite side of a ridge from the direction that you plan to glass should be sufficient. I think it really depends on the situation and availability of water. I think you'll glass more and better if you don't have to hike miles to a glassing point every day of the hunt

dtrkyman

WKR
Depends on terrain, as close as half mile, much farther than a mile and I can usually hike out to the truck.

chindits

WKR
Adjacent drainage if they’re the kind of drainages I’m familiar with where it takes 30-90 minutes to clear the ridge to the next drainage. That will cover your daily upslope downslope wind changes. Unless they’re bedding on the ridge line that makes up that adjacent drainage. Your terrain may differ.

Rmac2020

FNG
There’s a ton off theories on this but I think it really depends on hunting pressure in the area. The less pressure the more you can get away with.

I try to camp high and glass within 100yds from camp down the mtn at first light. It gets tricky at times finding water up high so you may need to compromise on convenience and hike down to fill up on water.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
In Western Wyoming a lot of guys like to throw a tent up in the wide open in the middle of the basin.🙄 Personally I would be as low impact as possible while still being able to effectively reach the glassing points you need to be at daybreak. Also keeping in mind water sources as well. I think it depends on the area and also where you can find relatively flat spots as well.

Right around 1/2 mile. Definitely depends on terrain and expected conditions, but 1/2 mile is a good benchmark to start.

manitou1

WKR
In Western Wyoming a lot of guys like to throw a tent up in the wide open in the middle of the basin.🙄 Personally I would be as low impact as possible while still being able to effectively reach the glassing points you need to be at daybreak. Also keeping in mind water sources as well. I think it depends on the area and also where you can find relatively flat spots as well.
It's not only Western Wyoming. Eastern WY has it's fair share of the clueless. Have seen it in Colorado too. They also have a tendency to set up straight upwind of where the deer "should" be.
After this year's muley hunt, I am beginning to lose faith in fellow "hunters"! With all the books, videos and internet info out there you would think guys would be a little more knowledgeable about where to camp and where to glass.

In an OTC unit or popular spot in a draw unit, if you’re trying to camp a mile away, what are the odds that some other group—hunters or hikers— is camping closer than you?

A one mile radius around a target area is a lot of ground...about 2000 acres. Just some food for thought. Other people have to camp somewhere too.