How far away was your moose when you shot it?

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
Headed out at the end of the month to hunt moose (first timer) and i'm curious as to how far away your moose was when you shot it? I know there are different methods of hunting them, float, spot and stalk, stand. I'm just curious how far the shot was. Thanks to all who reply.

hodgeman

WKR
I've shot 4. The first was 425, the second was 309, the third was 200, the fourth was 55.

It all depends on the terrain and your shot opportunity. In general, moose aren't terribly hard to sneak up on so there's no real need to stretch the barrel. On my first one, the 425 was across water after bumping him out of his bed at 10 yards and blowing it. He went for a swim and I shot him on the opposite bank.

jhm2023

WKR
Closest was under 10 yards, furthest almost 400. Most were 75 yards or closer though. The wife seems to have more opportunity shooting them further for some reason with her closest being about 250 or so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve shot a few. Last few bulls were roughly 45, 27, and perhaps 75. All spot and stalk, no calling.

I only recall one bull I’ve personally taken at significantly over 100 yds, but have helped skin enough that were killed further that I still prefer a modern bolt rifle. I’ve had friends and family do ok with leverguns, but sometimes it’s marginal.

There are places were longer shots might be a regular viable thing, but most my experience has been been closer to knife fighting range. Make sure your scope focuses close enough.

Yk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
harvested more than 25. First one was 1.5 miles down in a valley and camp was at the top. All others since then have been less than 100 yards from the raft, majority were shot at less than 100 yards, and many shots were inside camp with a range of <50 yards.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot a pile of moose over the years and have never killed one more than about 150 yards and most have been under 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
My only one was about 100 yards. Have guided several much closer with all weapons. Pretty rare you have to shoot long range unless the train dictates it. Moose are extremely easy to get close to from my experiences. If I ever draw again, I will hunt with a bow.

mcseal2

WKR
Mine was at 300 yards. He may have come closer but a step in the wrong direction put him in brush, I chose not to wait.

We got a small bull to 60 yards across water, and a medium bull to about 85 yards that trip calling.

My buddy ended up taking the small bull last day at 500 yards. He was following a cow and not going to come closer.

I think it depends on where you hunt, how you want to hunt, and how much time you have.